Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011-2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 806-814
- Prevalence of cardiovascular disease risk factors in US children and adolescents with diabetes: The SEARCH for diabetes in youth study.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 1891-1896
- Prevalence of type 1 and type 2 diabetes among children and adolescents from 2001 to 2009.JAMA. 2014; 311: 1778-1786
- Hypertension in the young: Epidemiology, sequelae and therapy.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009; 24: 370-375
- Childhood obesity.Lancet. 2010; 375: 1737-1748
- Childhood obesity: Public-health crisis, common sense cure.Lancet. 2002; 360: 473-482
- Your Guide to Lowering Your Blood Pressure with DASH.National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD2006
Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Descriptive characteristics of the dietary patterns used in the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension trial.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: S19-S27
- The linear index model for establishing nutrient goals in the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension trial.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: S40-S44
- Food group sources of nutrients in the dietary patterns of the DASH-sodium trial.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 488-496
- A clinical trial of the effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 1117-1124
- Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 3-10
- Effects on blood lipids of a blood pressure-lowering diet: The Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) trial.Am J Clin Nutr. 2001; 74: 80-89
- Adherence to a DASH-style diet and risk of coronary heart disease and stroke in women.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 713-720
- Consistency with the DASH diet and incidence of heart failure.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 851-857
- The effect of Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet on weight and body composition in adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials.Obes Rev. 2016; 17: 442-454
- Dietary recommendations for children and adolescents: A guide for practitioners.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: 544-559
- Association of DASH diet with cardiovascular risk factors in youth with diabetes mellitus: The SEARCH for diabetes in youth study.Circulation. 2011; 123: 1410-1417
- Change in DASH diet score and cardiovascular risk factors in youth with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus: The SEARCH for diabetes in youth study.Nutr Diabetes. 2013; 3: e91
- Association between the dietary approaches to hypertension diet and hypertension in youth with diabetes mellitus.Hypertension. 2009; 53: 6-12
- The Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet affects inflammation in childhood metabolic syndrome: A randomized cross-over clinical trial.Ann Nutr Metab. 2014; 64: 20-27
- Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) eating pattern and risk of elevated blood pressure in adolescent girls.Br J Nutr. 2012; 108: 1678-1685
- Pacific kids DASH for health (PacDASH) randomized, controlled trial with DASH eating plan plus physical activity improves fruit and vegetable intake and diastolic blood pressure in children.Child Obes. 2015; 11: 177-186
- Use of a DASH food group score to predict excess weight gain in adolescent girls in the national growth and health study.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011; 165: 540-546
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes_questionnaires.htm. Accessed January 23, 2017.
US Department of Health and Human Services. Code of federal regulations. http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/humansubjects/guidance/45cfr46.html. Accessed January 20, 2017.
- The US Department of Agriculture automated multiple-pass method reduces bias in the collection of energy intakes.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 88: 324-332
US Department of Agriculture. Food and nutrient database for dietary studies. http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=12089. Accessed January 20, 2017.
- Deteriorating dietary habits among adults with hypertension: DASH dietary accordance, NHANES 1988-1994 and 1999-2004.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 308-314
- Dietary Reference Intakes for energy, carbohydrate, fiber, fat, fatty acids, cholesterol, protein and amino acids.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 1621-1630
- DRI, Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2005
- Dietary Reference Intakes: The new basis for recommendations for calcium and related nutrients, B vitamins, and choline.J Am Diet Assoc. 1998; 98: 699-706
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium and Vitamin D.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- Perceived and objective diet quality in US adults: A cross-sectional analysis of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES).Public Health Nutr. 2014; 17: 2641-2649
- DASH collaborative research group Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension: A summary of study results.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: S35-S39
- School Meals: Building Blocks for Healthy Children.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2010
- Standardizing anthropometric measures in children and adolescents with new functions for egen.Stata J. 2004; 4: 50-55
- CDC growth charts: United States.Adv Data. 2000; : 1-27
STATA [computer program]. Version 11. College Station, TX: Stata Corp; 2009.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). About child and teen BMI. https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/childrens_bmi/about_childrens_bmi.html. Accessed January 20, 2017.
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Anthropometry procedures manual. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes_03_04/BM.pdf. Accessed January 20, 2017.
US Department of Agriculture. National School Lunch Program. http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Lunch/AboutLunch/NSLPFactSheet.pdf. Accessed January 20, 2017.
US Department of Health and Human Services. Analytic and reporting guidelines: The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES). National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes_03_04/nhanes_analytic_guidelines_dec_2005.pdf Accessed January 20, 2017.
- Associations of height, leg length, and lung function with cardiovascular risk factors in the midspan family study.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2003; 57: 141-146
- Height and incidence of cardiovascular disease in male physicians.Circulation. 1993; 88: 1437-1443
- Adult height and the risk of cause-specific death and vascular morbidity in 1 million people: Individual participant meta-analysis.Int J Epidemiol. 2012; 41: 1419-1433
- Short stature is associated with coronary heart disease: A systematic review of the literature and a meta-analysis.Eur Heart J. 2010; 31: 1802-1809
- Vital signs: Fruit and vegetable intake among children—United States, 2003–2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 671-676
- Dietary sources of energy, solid fats, and added sugars among children and adolescents in the United States.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1477-1484
- Sources of food group intakes among the US population, 2001-2002.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 804-814
- Tracking of blood pressure from childhood to adulthood: A systematic review and meta-regression analysis.Circulation. 2008; 117: 3171-3180
- Systolic blood pressure in childhood predicts hypertension and metabolic syndrome later in life.Pediatrics. 2007; 119: 237-246
Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. Public Law 111-296, 124 stat., 3183. 2010.
US Department of Agriculture. Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). https://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/women-infants-and-children-wic. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Sodium intake and blood pressure among US children and adolescents.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: 611-619
- Nutritional Epidemiology.2nd ed. Oxford University Press, New York, NY1998
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was funded by an unrestricted gift from Revolution Foods. The funder had no role in the design and conduct of the study.