Main outcome measures
Statistical analysis performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Malnutrition in geriatric rehabilitation: Prevalence, patient outcomes and criterion validity of the scored Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment (PG-SGA) and the Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA).J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 785-794
- Protein-energy malnutrition in the rehabilitation setting: Evidence to improve identification.Maturitas. 2016; 86: 77-85
- The consequences of malnutrition following discharge from rehabilitation to the community: A systematic review of current evidence in older adults.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2014; 27: 133-141
Hoffman D. Malnutrition Coding Review CLP Project Summary. Lismore: North Coast Area Health Service; 2010. http://www.aci.health.nsw.gov.au/. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- Nutrition Support in Adults: Oral Nutrition Support, Enteral Tube Feeding and Parenteral Nutrition.National Collaborating Centre for Acute Care, London, UK2006
- Evidence based practice guidelines for the nutritional management of malnutrition in patients across the continuum of care.Nutr Diet. 2009; 66: S1-S34
- Nutrition Care Process and Model: ADA adopts road map to quality care and outcomes management.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 1061-1072
Joint Commission. Accreditation, Health Care, Certification. www.jointcommission.org/. Accessed March 21, 2017.
- Development of a valid and reliable malnutrition screening tool for adult acute hospital patients.Nutrition. 1999; 15: 458-464
- Malnutrition. Is Your Patient at Risk?.NEMO Nutrition Support Group, Queensland Government, Queensland Health, Brisbane, Australia1999
- Validation of a malnutrition screening tool for patients receiving radiotherapy.Australas Radiol. 1999; 43: 325-327
- Beyond malnutrition screening: Appropriate methods to guide nutrition care for aged care residents.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 376-381
- Nutrition screening in geriatric rehabilitation: Criterion (concurrent and predictive) validity of the Malnutrition Screening Tool (MST) and the Mini Nutritional Assessment-Short Form (MNA-SF).J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 795-801
- The Malnutrition Screening Tool is a useful tool for identifying malnutrition risk in residential aged care.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2009; 22: 545-550
- Validity of the malnutrition screening tool for older adults at high risk of hospital readmission.J Gerontol Nurs. 2012; 38: 38-45
- Validity of the malnutrition screening tool as an effective predictor of nutritional risk in oncology outpatients receiving chemotherapy.Support Care Cancer. 2006; 14: 1152-1156
- The malnutrition screening tool versus objective measures to detect malnutrition in hip fracture.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2013; 26: 519-526
- Quick and easy is not without cost: Implications of poorly performing nutrition screening tools in hip fracture.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014; 62: 237-243
- Patient Admission Screening Tool for Adults (PASTA). NSW Health, North Sydney, Australia2016
Rural, Regional and Remote Health: A Guide to Remoteness Classifications. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare catalog no. PHE 53. Canberra, Australia: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare; 2004.
Nestle Nutrition Institute. Nutrition Screening as Easy as MNA. A Guide to Completing the Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA). Gland, Switzerland: Nestle Nutrition Institute.
- Nutrient Reference Values for Australia and New Zealand Including Recommended Dietary Intakes.National Health and Medical Research Council, Canberra, Australia2005
- Australian Coding Standards for ICD-10-AM. National Centre for Classification in Health, Sydney, Australia2008
SPSS Statistics for Windows [computer program]. Version 24. Armonk, NY: IBM Corp; 2016.
- Measures of diagnostic accuracy: Basic definitions.Med Biol Sci. 2008; 22: 61-65
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
Deeks JJ, Higgins JPT; on behalf of the Statistical Methods Group of The Cochrane Collaboration. Statistical algorithms in Review Manager 5. Statistical Methods Group of The Cochrane Collaboration. London, UK: The Cochrane Collaboration; 2010:1-11.
- The diagnostic odds ratio: A single indicator of test performance.J Clin Epidemiol. 2003; 56: 1129-1135
- Principles of Biostatistics.(Vol. 2) Duxbury Press, Pacific Grove, CA2000
- Malnourished older adults admitted to rehabilitation in rural New South Wales remain malnourished throughout rehabilitation and once discharged back to the community: A prospective cohort study.J Aging Res Clin Pract. 2015; 4: 197-204
- Calculating the cost of disease-related malnutrition in the UK in 2007 (public expenditure only).in: Combating Malnutrition: Recommendations for Action. Report from the Advisory Group on Malnutrition, Led by BAPEN. British Association for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, Reddich, UK2009
- Encouraging appropriate, evidence-based use of oral nutritional supplements.Proc Nutr Soc. 2010; 69: 477-487
Wilson L. A Review and Summary of the Impact of Malnutrition in Older People and the Reported Costs and Benefits of Interventions. London, UK: Malnutrition Task Force, International Longevity Centre; 2013. www.malnutritiontaskforce.org.uk. Accessed April 27, 2015.
National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). Cost saving guidance. https://www.nice.org.uk/about/what-we-do/into-practice/cost-saving-guidance. Accessed April 27, 2015.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Skye Marshall was supported by an Australian Postgraduate Award throughout the duration of her PhD candidature, which included the data collection phase of the current study.