Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Psychological and metabolic stress: A recipe for accelerated cellular aging?.Hormones (Athens). 2009; 8: 7-22
- Are stress eaters at risk for the metabolic syndrome?.Ann NY Acad Sci. 2004; 1032: 208-210
- Changes in food intake in response to stress in men and women: Psychological factors.Appetite. 1997; 28: 7-18
- Longitudinal association between child stress and lifestyle.Health Psychol. 2015; 34: 40-50
- Relationship between stress, eating behavior, and obesity.Nutrition. 2007; 23: 887-894
- Perceived effects of stress on food choice.Physiol Behav. 1999; 66: 511-515
- Relationship between perceived stress and dietary and activity patterns in older adults participating in the Boston Puerto Rican Health Study.Appetite. 2011; 56: 194-204
- Effects of daily hassles and eating style on eating behavior.Health Psychol. 2008; 27: S20-S31
- Chronic stress increases vulnerability to diet-related abdominal fat, oxidative stress, and metabolic risk.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2014; 46: 14-22
- What is eating you? Stress and the dive to eat.Appetite. 2012; 58: 717-721
- Comfort food is comforting to the most stressed: Evidence of the chronic stress response network in high stress women.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2011; 39: 1513-1519
- Perceived stress and eating behaviors in a community-based sample of African Americans.Eat Behav. 2008; 9: 137-142
- Stress, Appraisal and Coping.Springer, New York, NY1984
- You want to measure coping but your protocol’s too long: Consider the brief cope.Int J Behav Med. 1997; 4: 92-100
- Encyclopedia of Behavioral Medicine.Springer, New York2013
- Healthy aging in neighborhoods of diversity across the life span (HANDLS): Overcoming barriers to implementing a longitudinal epidemiologic, urban study of health, race, and socioeconomic status.Ethn Dis. 2010; 20: 267-275
- Dietary patterns and sarcopenia in an urban African American and white population in the United States.J Nutr Gerontol Geriatr. 2013; 32: 291-316
- The US Department of Agriculture automated multiple-pass method reduces bias in the collection of energy intakes.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 88: 324-332
Sebastian RS, Enns CW, Goldman JD. Snacking patterns of US adults: What We Eat In America-NHANES 2007-2008. Dietary Data Brief 4. https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/80400530/pdf/DBrief/4_adult_snacking_0708.pdf. Published 2011. Accessed January 10, 2017.
Agricultural Research Service, Food Surveys Research Group. USDA Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies, 3.0. http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=12068. Published 2008. Accessed July 20, 2016.
- The impact of conventional dietary intakes data coding methods on snacks typically consumed by socioeconomically diverse African American and White urban population: A comparison of coding methods.Procedia Food Sci. 2015; 4: 94-103
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2010.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 569-580
National Cancer Institute. HEI tools for researchers. http://epi.grants.cancer.gov/hei/tools.html. Published 2014. Revised May 10, 2016. Accessed July 20, 2016.
National Institute on Aging. Healthy Eating Index 2010 calculation. https://handls.nih.gov/06Coll-w01HEI.htm. Published 2013. Accessed July 20, 2016.
- A global measure of perceived stress.J Health Soc Behav. 1983; 24: 385-396
- The relationship between quality of life and coping strategies of adults with celiac disease adhering to a gluten-free diet.Gastroenterol Nurs. 2011; 34: 460-468
- The Wide Range Achievement Test.3rd ed. Wide Range, Inc, Wilmington, DE1993
- Literacy and health outcomes. A systematic review of the literature.J Gen Intern Med. 2004; 19: 1228-1239
- Literacy contributes to greater higher diet quality in a socioeconomically diverse urban prospective cohort.Top Clin Nutr. 2016; 31: 47-58
SAS [computer program]. Version 9.3. Cary, NC: SAS Institute; 2010.
- A power primer.Psychol Bull. 1992; 112: 155-159
- Snacking behavior among elementary and junior high school students and its relationship to stress-coping.Nihon Koshu Eisei Zasshi. 2000; 47: 8-19
- It’s my party and I eat if I want to. Reasons for unhealthy snacking.Appetite. 2015; 84: 20-27
- A new model of the role of psychological and emotional distress in promoting obesity: Conceptual review with implications for treatment and prevention.Obesity Rev. 2014; 15: 769-779
- Exploring the relationship between coping strategies and binge eating in nonclinical adolescents.Eur Eat Disorders Rev. 2012; 20: e63-e69
- Differences of socio-psychology, eating behavior, diet quality and quality of life in South Korean women according to their weight status.Clin Nutr Res. 2016; 5: 161-171
- Snacking patterns, diet quality and cardiovascular risk factors in adults.BMC Public Health. 2014; 99: 1525-1542
- Healthy snacking recommendation: One size does not fit all.Physiol Behav. 2014; 134: 32-37
US Department of Agriculture. Data tables. What We Eat in America, NHANES 2007-2008. http://www.ars.usda.gov/News/docs.htm?docid=18349. Published August 2010. Revised February 11, 2015. Accessed July 20, 2016.
- Understanding the influence of the snack definition on the association between snacking and obesity: A review.Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2011; 62: 270-275
- Associations between meal and snack frequency and diet quality in US adults: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003-2012.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 1101-1113
- Effectiveness of the US Department of Agriculture 5-step multiple-pass method in assessing food intake in obese and nonobese women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 77: 1171-1178
- HANDLS Generalizability, 2010 and HANDLS Principle Cities Clusters Analysis.National Institutes on Aging, Baltimore, MD2011
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work is supported by the Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, grant Z01-AG000194.