Main outcome measure
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Trends in obesity among adults in the United States, 2005 to 2014.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2284-2291
- The relation of gender, race and socioeconomic status to obesity and obesity comorbidities in a sample of US adults.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2002; 26: 1205-1210
- Vital signs: Leading causes of death, prevalence of diseases and risk factors, and use of health services among Hispanics in the United States—2009-2013.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015; 64: 469-478
- Hypertension, high serum total cholesterol, and diabetes: Racial and ethnic prevalence differences in U.S. adults, 1999-2006.NCHS Data Brief. 2010 April; : 1-8
- Satisfied or unaware? Racial differences in perceived weight status.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2006; 3: 40
- Racial/ethnic differences in weight perception.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009; 17: 790-795
- Sex, race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and BMI in relation to self-perception of overweight.Obes Res. 2002; 10: 345-350
- Weight-control practices among U.S. adults, 2001-2002.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 31: 18-24
- Trying to lose weight: Diet strategies among Americans with overweight or obesity in 1996 and 2003.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 535-542
- Long-term weight loss maintenance in the United States.Int J Obes (Lond). 2010; 34: 1644-1654
- Weight regain in U.S. adults who experienced substantial weight loss, 1999-2002.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 33: 34-40
US Department of Health and Human Services and US Department of Agriculture. 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th Edition. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/. Accessed August 5, 2016.
- 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and The Obesity Society.Circulation. 2014; 129: S102-S138
- Long-term effectiveness of diet-plus-exercise interventions vs. diet-only interventions for weight loss: A meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2009; 10: 313-323
- Diet or exercise interventions vs combined behavioral weight management programs: A systematic review and meta-analysis of direct comparisons.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1557-1568
- Efficacy of commercial weight-loss programs.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 163: 399
- Successful weight loss among obese U.S. adults.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 42: 481-485
- Physical activity and dietary determinants of weight loss success in the us general population.Am J Public Health. 2016; 106: 321-326
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm. Accessed August 1, 2015.
- Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment Of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: The Evidence Report.US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC1998
SAS [computer software]. Version 9.3. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc; 2016.
- Does perception equal reality? Weight misperception in relation to weight-related attitudes and behaviors among overweight and obese US adults.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 20
- Relationship of satisfaction with body size and trying to lose weight in a national survey of overweight and obese women aged 40 and older, United States.Prev Med. 2002; 35: 390-396
- The interplay between gender, race and weight status: Self perceptions and social consequences.Econ Hum Biol. 2014; 14: 79-91
- Health and sociodemographic factors associated with body weight and weight objectives for women: 2000 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2004; 13: 1019-1032
- Acculturation and overweight-related attitudes and behavior among obese Hispanic adults in the United States.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013; 21: 2396-2404
- Temporal changes in trying to lose weight and recommended weight-loss strategies among overweight and obese Americans, 1996-2003.Prev Med. 2009; 49: 158-164
- Weight control practices in adults: Results of a multistate telephone survey.Am J Public Health. 1994; 84: 1821-1824
- Level of nutrition knowledge and its association with weight loss behaviors among low-income reproductive-age women.J Community Health. 2015; 40: 542-548
- One-year weight losses in the Look AHEAD study: Factors associated with success.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009; 17: 713-722
- Weight loss of black, white, and Hispanic men and women in the Diabetes Prevention Program.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008; 16: 1413-1420
- Differences in weight loss and health outcomes among African Americans and whites in multicentre trials.Obes Rev. 2014; 15: 46-61
- Trend and prevalence estimates based on the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 39: 305-313
- Diet and physical activity behaviors among Americans trying to lose weight: 2000 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System.Obes Res. 2005; 13: 596-607
- Medically diagnosed overweight and weight loss in a US national survey.Prev Med. 2010; 51: 24-26
- Sex, race, and consideration of bariatric surgery among primary care patients with moderate to severe obesity.J Gen Intern Med. 2014; 29: 68-75
- Physician advice on exercise and diet in a U.S. sample of obese Mexican-American adults.Am J Health Promot. 2011; 25: 402-409
- Disparities by ethnicity and socioeconomic status in the use of weight loss treatments.J Natl Med Assoc. 2009; 101: 62-70
- A comparison of weight-control behaviors in African American and Caucasian women.Ethn Dis. 2007; 17: 262-267
- Self-reported weight loss practices among African American and Hispanic adults in the United States.J Natl Med Assoc. 2010; 102: 469-475
- Disparities in who receives weight-loss advice from a health care provider: Does income make a difference?.Prev Chronic Dis. 2016; 13: E142
- Trends and disparities in provider diagnosis of overweight analysis of NHANES 1999-2004.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009; 17: 2110-2113
- Limited English proficiency is a barrier to receipt of advice about physical activity and diet among Hispanics with chronic diseases in the United States.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 1769-1774
- Clinicians' implicit ethnic/racial bias and perceptions of care among Black and Latino patients.Ann Fam Med. 2013; 11: 43-52
- Racial and ethnic minority patients report different weight-related care experiences than non-Hispanic whites.Prev Med Rep. 2016; 4: 296-302
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This research was supported by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute at the National Institutes of Health (K01 HL130726).