Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Comparison of food intakes for weekdays and for Saturday and Sunday.J Home Econ. 1939; 31: 111-114
- Weekly rhythms of spontaneous nutrient intake and meal pattern of humans.Physiol Behav. 1991; 50: 729-738
- Weekend eating in the United States is linked with greater energy, fat, and alcohol intake.Obes Res. 2003; 11: 945-949
- Weekend-weekday differences in reported dietary intake: The nationwide food consumption survey, 1977-78.Nutr Res. 1986; 6: 647-662
- Sources of variation in energy intake by men and women as determined from one year's daily dietary records.Am J Clin Nutr. 1989; 50: 448-453
- Influence of weekend lifestyle patterns on body weight.Obesity. 2008; 16: 1826-1830
- Time use and food consumption.Am Econ Rev. 2009; : 170-176
- Weekend-weekday differences in diet among US adults, 2003-2012.Ann Epidemiol. 2016; 26: 57-65
- Validity of U.S. nutritional surveillance: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey caloric energy intake data, 1971-2010.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e76632
- Addressing current criticism regarding the value of self-report dietary data.J Nutr. 2015; 145: 2639-2645
- Weight rhythms: Weight increases during weekends and decreases during weekdays.Obes Facts. 2014; 7: 36-47
- Measures of diet quality across calendar and winter holiday seasons among midlife women: A 1-year longitudinal study using the Automated Self-Administered 24-Hour Recall.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 1961-1969
National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute. Dietary Assessment Primer. http://dietassessmentprimer.cancer.gov/. Accessed December 1, 2016.
Bowman SA, Friday JE, Moshfegh A. MyPyramid Equivalents database, 2.0 for USDA Survey Foods, 2003-2004. Beltsville, MD: Food Surveys Research Group, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture. http://www.ars.usda.gov/ba/bhnrc/fsrg. Accessed December 1, 2016.
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2010.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 569-580
National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health. HEI Tools for Researchers. http://appliedresearch.cancer.gov/hei/tools.html. Accessed December 1, 2016.
- The Healthy Eating Index-2010 is a valid and reliable measure of diet quality according to the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.J Nutr. 2014; 144: 399-407
- The Automated Self-Administered 24-hour dietary recall (ASA24): A resource for researchers, clinicians, and educators from the National Cancer Institute.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1134-1137
- Comparison of interviewer-administered and automated self-administered 24-hour dietary recalls in 3 diverse integrated health systems.Am J Epidemiol. 2015; 181: 970-978
- Performance of the automated self-administered 24-hour recall relative to a measure of true intakes and to an interviewer-administered 24-h recall.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 100: 233-240
SAS [computer program]. Version 9.4. Cary, NC: SAS Institute, Inc; 2012.
- Fast-food and full-service restaurant consumption and daily energy and nutrient intakes in US adults.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2016; 70: 97-103
- Weekly patterns, diet quality and energy balance.Physiol Behav. 2014; 134: 55-59
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was funded by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Service, USDA 5450-51000-48-00D and USDA 3062-51000-051-00D.