Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- A review of associations between family or shared meal frequency and dietary and weight status outcomes across the lifespan.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 2-19
- Come and get it! A discussion of family mealtime literature and factors affecting obesity risk.Adv Nutr. 2014; 5: 235-247
- The protective role of family meals for youth obesity: 10-year longitudinal associations.J Pediatr. 2015; 166: 296-301
- The individual and combined influence of the “quality” and “quantity” of family meals on adult body mass index.Fam Syst Health. 2012; 30: 344-351
- Family meals and body weight. Analysis of multiple family members in family units.Appetite. 2011; 57: 517-524
- Family meals: Associations with weight and eating behaviors among mothers and fathers.Appetite. 2012; 58: 1128-1135
- Family meals and body weight in US adults.Public Health Nutr. 2011; 14: 1555-1562
- Family dinner frequency, settings and sources, and body weight in US adults.Appetite. 2014; 78: 81-88
- The epidemiology of family meals among Ohio's adults.Public Health Nutr. 2015; 18: 1474-1481
- Family meals protect against obesity: Exploring the mechanisms.J Pediatr. 2015; 166: 220-221
- Associations between watching TV during family meals and dietary intake among adolescents.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: 257-263
- Patterns of health behavior in U.S. adults.Prev Med. 2003; 36: 615-623
RTI International. 2012 Ohio Medicaid Assessment Survey Methodology Report. Ohio Colleges of Medicine Government Resource Center. 2012. http://grc.osu.edu/sites/default/files/inline-files/OMAS_MethRept_v10_120712.pdf. Accessed December 31, 2016.
2012 OMAS Survey. Ohio Colleges of Medicine Government Resource Center. 2012. http://grc.osu.edu/OMAS/2012Survey. Accessed December 31, 2016.
- A reassessment of list-assisted RDD methodology.Public Opin Q. 2009; 73: 751-760
- Survey Methodology.Wiley-Intersciene, Hoboken, NJ2004
2012 Ohio Medicaid Assessment Survey Public Dataset. Ohio Colleges of Medicine Government Resource Center. 2013. http://grc.osu.edu/OMAS/2012Survey. Accessed December 31, 2016.
2012 Ohio Medicaid Assessment Survey Adult Instrument Specifications. Ohio Colleges of Medicine Government Resource Center. 2012. http://grc.osu.edu/sites/default/files/inline-files/2012 Adult Questionnaire .pdf. Accessed December 31, 2016.
Revisions to the Standard for the Classification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity. Office of Management and Budget. 2003. http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/fedreg_1997standards/. Accessed December 31, 2016.
- Trends in obesity among adults in the United States, 2005 to 2014.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2284-2291
- Marital status changes and body weight changes: A US longitudinal analysis.Soc Sci Med. 2003; 56: 1543-1555
- Socioeconomic status and obesity.Epidemiol Rev. 2007; 29: 29-48
- The obesity epidemic in the United States: Gender, age, socioeconomic, racial/ethnic, and geographic characteristics: A systematic review and meta-regression analysis.Epidemiol Rev. 2007; 29: 6-28
Stata (for Windows) [computer program]. Verson 13.1. College Station, TX: StataCorp LP; 2013.
- Power at the table: Food fights and happy meals.Cultural Studies—Critical Methodologies. 2010; 10: 428-436
- Time scarcity and food choices: an overview.Appetite. 2006; 47: 196-204
- What's for dinner? Types of food served at family dinner differ across parent and family characteristics.Public Health Nutr. 2014; 17: 145-155
- Prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and obesity-related health risk factors, 2001.JAMA. 2003; 289: 76-79
- Body-mass index and cause-specific mortality in 900 000 adults: Collaborative analyses of 57 prospective studies.Lancet. 2009; 373: 1083-1096
- Obesity and mortality risk: New findings from body mass index trajectories.Am J Epidemiol. 2013; 178: 1591-1599
- Positive effects of family dinner are undone by television viewing.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 666-671
- Associations between perceived family meal environment and parent intake of fruit, vegetables, and fat.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2003; 35: 24-29
- Lifestyle determinants of the drive to eat: a meta-analysis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 96: 492-497
Lin B, Guthrie J. Nutritional Quality of Food Prepared at Home and Away from Home 1977-2008. Economic Research Service, Economic Information Bulletin. 2012. https://http://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/eib105/34513_eib-105.pdf?v=41270. Accessed December 31, 2016.
- Fast food for family meals: Relationships with parent and adolescent food intake, home food availability and weight status.Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10: 16-23
Howden LM, Meyer JA. Age and Sex Composition: 2010. US Department of Commerce, Economics and Statistics Administration, US Census Bureau. 2011. http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-03.pdf. Accessed December 31, 2016.
Lofquist D, Lugaila T, O’Connel M, Feliz S. Households and families: 2010. US Department of Commerce, Economics and Statistics Administration, US Census Bureau. 2012. http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-14.pdf. Accessed December 31, 2016.
- The impact of culture on food-related behavior.Annu Rev Nutr. 1986; 6: 345-363
- Neighborhood environments: Disparities in access to healthy foods in the U.S.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 36: 74-81
- A comparison of direct vs. self-report measures for assessing height, weight and body mass index: A systematic review.Obes Rev. 2007; 8: 307-326
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.