Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Consensus statement: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition: Characteristics recommended for the identification and documentation of adult malnutrition (undernutrition).JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012; 36: 275-283
- Cancer cachexia in the age of obesity: Skeletal muscle depletion is a powerful prognostic factor, independent of body mass index.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 1539-1547
- Frailty as a predictor of surgical outcomes in older patients.J Am Coll Surg. 2010; 210: 901-908
- Association between nutritional status (MNA(R)-SF) and frailty (SHARE-FI) in acute hospitalised elderly patients.J Nutr Health Aging. 2014; 18: 264-269
- The impact of malnutrition on morbidity, mortality, length of hospital stay and costs evaluated through a multivariate model analysis.Clin Nutr. 2003; 22: 235-239
- Surgical infection and malnutrition.Nutr Hosp. 2014; 30: 509-513
- Patient characteristics and the occurrence of never events.Arch Surg. 2010; 145: 148-151
- Addressing disease-related malnutrition in hospitalized patients: A call for a national goal.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2015; 41: 469-473
- Prognostic impact of disease-related malnutrition.Clin Nutr. 2008; 27: 5-15
- Cancer-associated malnutrition.Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2005; 9: S39-S50
- Incidence and recognition of malnutrition in hospital.BMJ. 1994; 308: 945-948
- Malnutrition diagnoses in hospitalized patients: United States, 2010.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2014; 38: 186-195
- Malnutrition care: Preparing for the next level of quality.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 852-855
Vizient Inc. http://www.vizientinc.com/. Accessed July 2, 2016.
- Validation of the University HealthSystem Consortium administrative dataset: Concordance and discordance with patient-level institutional data.J Surg Res. 2014; 190: 484-490
- Association between malnutrition and clinical outcomes in the intensive care unit: A systematic review.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2016; ([published online ahead of print February 2, 2016]) (http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0148607115625638)
- Do “America's Best Hospitals” perform better for acute myocardial infarction?.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 286-292
- Do popular media and internet-based hospital quality ratings identify hospitals with better cardiovascular surgery outcomes?.J Am Coll Surg. 2010; 210: 87-92
- Do specialty cardiac hospitals have greater adherence to acute myocardial infarction and heart failure process measures? An empirical assessment using Medicare quality measures: Quality of care in cardiac specialty hospitals.Am Heart J. 2008; 156: 155-160
U.S. News & World Report. U.S. News & World Report releases 2015-16 best hospitals. http://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press-room/2015/07/21/us-news-releases-201516-best-hospitals. Accessed July 5, 2016.
- ESPEN Guidelines on Enteral Nutrition: Surgery including organ transplantation.Clin Nutr. 2006; 25: 224-244
Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems Medicare survey. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/HospitalQualityInits/HospitalCompare.html. Accessed August 5, 2016.
- Patient experience and quality of urologic cancer surgery in US hospitals.Cancer. 2016; 122: 2571-2578
SAS [computer program]. Version 9.4. Research Triangle Park, NC: SAS Institute, Inc; 2013.
Weiss AJ, Fingar KR, Barrett ML, Elixhauser A, Steiner CA, Guenter P, et al. Characteristics of hospital stays involving malnutrition, 2013: Statistical brief #210. http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb210-Malnutrition-Hospital-Stays-2013.pdf. Accessed August 1, 2016.
Butterworth CE Jr. The skeleton in the hospital closet. Nutr Today. 197;49(2):4-8.
- Hospital diagnosis of malnutrition: A call for action.Can J Diet Pract Res. 2009; 70: 37-41
- Nutrition screening and assessment in hospitalized patients: A survey of current practice in the United States.Nutr Clin Pract. 2014; 29: 483-490
- Critical role of nutrition in improving quality of care: An interdisciplinary call to action to address adult hospital malnutrition.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 1219-1237
- Detection and treatment of medical inpatients with or at-risk of malnutrition: Suggested procedures based on validated guidelines.Nutrition. 2016; 32: 790-798
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST K. G. Nepple is a consultant for the Malnutrition Quality Improvement Initiative Project with Avalere Health and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics was an eMeasure testing site and a member of the Leaning Collaborative for the Malnutrition Quality Improvement Initiative. No potential conflict of interest was reported by the other authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.