Participants and setting
Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Obesity: Preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO consultation.World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser. 2000; 894 (i-xii, 1-253)
- Weight Gain During Pregnancy: Reexamining the Guidelines.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2009
- A prospective study of pregnancy weight gain in Australian women.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2012; 52: 545-551
- Gestational weight gain and long-term postpartum weight retention: A meta-analysis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 94: 1225-1231
- Weight gain and nutritional intake in obese pregnant women: Some clues for intervention.Nutr Diet. 2011; 68: 53-59
- Systematic review of clinical trials on dietary interventions to prevent excessive weight gain during pregnancy among normal weight, overweight and obese women.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2011; 11 (81-81)
- Effects of interventions in pregnancy on maternal weight and obstetric outcomes: Meta-analysis of randomised evidence.BMJ. 2012; 344: e2088
- Diet or exercise, or both, for preventing excessive weight gain in pregnancy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; : 6
- Virtual special issue introduction: Health behaviour change.Soc Sci Med. 2010; 71: 1897-1900
- Health promotion and the knowledge-attitude-behavior continuum.Prev Med. 1986; 15: 475-491
- Using theory to design effective health behavior interventions.Comm Theory. 2003; 13: 164-183
- Effect of a behavioural intervention in obese pregnant women (the UPBEAT study): A multicentre, randomised controlled trial.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2015; 3: 767-777
- Antenatal lifestyle advice for women who are overweight or obese: LIMIT randomised trial.BMJ. 2014; 348: g1285
- The effects of antenatal dietary and lifestyle advice for women who are overweight or obese on maternal diet and physical activity: The LIMIT randomised trial.BMC Med. 2014; 12: 161
- Randomized controlled trial to prevent excessive weight gain in pregnant women.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2002; 26: 1494-1502
- Randomized trial of a behavioral intervention to prevent excessive gestational weight gain: The Fit for Delivery Study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 93: 772-779
- Health Program Planning: An Educational and Ecological Approach.4th ed. McGraw Hill, New York, NY2005
- Health Behavior Theory and cumulative knowledge regarding health behaviors: Are we moving in the right direction?.Health Educ Res. 2005; 20: 275-290
de Jersey SJ, Mallan K, Callaway LK, Daniels LA, Nicholson JM. A cross-sectional comparison of predisposing, reinforcing and enabling factors for lifestyle health behaviours and weight gain in healthy and overweight pregnant women [published online ahead of print July 22, 2016]. Matern Child Health J. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10995-016-2148-0.
- An observational study of nutrition and physical activity behaviors, knowledge, and advice in pregnancy.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2013; : 13
Statistical Services Branch Queensland Health. 2012 Queensland Perinatal Statistics, September 2010-February 2011. Brisbane, Australia: Queensland Health. https://www.health.qld.gov.au/hsu/peri. Accessed October 6, 2011.
- Weight-related risk perception among healthy and overweight pregnant women: A cross-sectional study.J Perinatol. 2015; 35: 683-688
- Being inconsistent about consistency: When coefficient alpha does and doesn't matter.J Pers Assess. 2003; 80: 217-222
- What is coefficient alpha? An examination of theory and applications.J Appl Psychol. 1993; 78: 98
- Starting at the beginning: An introduction to coefficient alpha and internal consistency.J Pers Assess. 2003; 80: 99-103
- The Weight Locus of Control (WLOC) scale: A specific measure for obesity research.J Pers Assess. 1982; 46: 620
- Maternal concern and perceptions of overweight in Australian preschool-aged children.Med J Aust. 2006; 184: 274-277
- Maternal weight gain during pregnancy and child weight at age 3 years.Matern Child Health J. 2009; 13: 839-846
- Gestational weight gain and child adiposity at age 3 years.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 196: 322.e321-322.e328
- Body mass index, provider advice, and target gestational weight gain.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 105: 633-638
- Medically advised, mother's personal target, and actual weight gain during pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 94: 616-622
Statistical Package for Social Sciences. Version 20. Armonk, NY: IBM-SPSS Inc; 2012.
- Evaluation of psychosocial measures for understanding weight-related behaviors in pregnant women.Ann Behav Med. 2001; 23: 50-58
- Continuity and change in women's weight orientations and lifestyle practices through pregnancy and the postpartum period: The influence of life course trajectories and transitional events.Soc Sci Med. 2000; 50: 567-582
- A refined taxonomy of behaviour change techniques to help people change their physical activity and healthy eating behaviours: The CALO-RE taxonomy.Psychol Health. 2011; 26: 1479-1498
- Health promotion by social cognitive means.Health Educ Behav. 2004; 31: 143-164
- A review of the outcome expectancy construct in physical activity research.Ann Behav Med. 2005; 29: 70-79
- Web-based guide to health: Relationship of theoretical variables to change in physical activity, nutrition and weight at 16-months.J Med Internet Res. 2011; 13: e27
- Psychological antecedents of excess gestational weight gain: A systematic review.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015; 15: 107
- Pregravid weight is associated with prior dietary restraint and psychosocial factors during pregnancy.Obesity. 2009; 17: 550-558
- History of weight cycling and weight changes during and after pregnancy.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2001; 15 (A1-A1)
- Dietary restraint and weight gain during pregnancy.Eur J Clin Nutr. 1999; 53: 849-853
- Dietary restraint and gestational weight gain.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 1646-1653
- Intention—behavior relations: A conceptual and empirical review.Eur Rev Soc Psychol. 2002; 12: 1-36
- Theory and practice in the study of influences on energy balance-related behaviors.Patient Educ Couns. 2010; 79: 291-298
- Self-efficacy and dietary fat reduction behaviors in obese African-American and white mothers.Obesity. 2008; 16: 992-1001
- Self-regulation, self-efficacy, outcome expectations, and social support: Social cognitive theory and nutrition behavior.Ann Behav Med. 2007; 34: 304-312
- Self-efficacy in relation to eating behaviour among obese and non-obese women.Int J Obes. 2001; 25: 907-913
- Relationship of social cognitive theory concepts to mothers' dietary intake and BMI.Matern Child Nutr. 2011; 7: 241-252
- Specific psychological variables predict quality of diet in women of lower, but not higher, educational attainment.Appetite. 2011; 56: 46-52
- Social-cognitive determinants of physical activity: The influence of social support, self-efficacy, outcome expectations, and self-regulation among participants in a church-based health promotion study.Health Psychol. 2006; 25: 510
- Self-efficacy, social support, and associations with physical activity and body mass index among women with histories of gestational diabetes mellitus.Diabet Educ. 2008; 34: 719-728
- The impact of self-efficacy on behavior change and weight change among overweight participants in a weight loss trial.Health Psychol. 2006; 25: 282
- Self-efficacy and its association with use of diet-related behavioral strategies and reported dietary intake.Health Educ Behav. 2008; 35: 698
- Changing diet and physical activity to reduce gestational weight gain: A meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2011; 12: e602-e620
Schwarzer R, Sniehotta FF, Lippke S, et al. On the assessment and analysis of variables in the health action process approach: Conducting an investigation. 2003. http://web.fu-berlin.de/gesund/hapa_web.pdf. Accessed November 10, 2009.
Schwarzer R. The Health Action Process Approach. 2009. www.hapa-model.de. Accessed December 10, 2009.
- The development of self-efficacy scales for healthrelated diet and exercise behaviors.Health Educ Res. 1988; 3: 283-292
- Self-efficacy and consumption of fruit and vegetables: Validation of a summated scale.Am J Health Promot. 1999; 13: 290-298
- Motivational readiness, self-efficacy and decision-making for exercise.J Appl Soc Psychol. 1992; 22: 3-16
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Project funding was provided by the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital (RBWH) Foundation for the New Beginnings Healthy Mothers and Babies Study; the RBWH Research Advisory Committee and National Health and Medical Research Council provided PhD scholarship funding (Susan de Jersey; 1017169); and Jan M. Nicholson is the Roberta Holmes Chair for the Transition to Contemporary Parenthood Program, which is funded through the Australian Communities Foundation (a Coronella subfund).