Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Survey health statistics for US adults: National Health Interview Survey 2011. www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_10/sr10_256.pdf. Accessed July 22, 2016.
- Characterizing extreme values of body mass index-for-age by using the 2000 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention growth charts.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 90: 1314-1320
- Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011-2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 806-814
- Obesity in American-Indian children: Prevalence, consequences, and prevention.Prev Med. 2003; 37: S3-S12
- Pathways: A school-based, randomized controlled trial for the prevention of obesity in American Indian schoolchildren.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 78: 1030-1038
- Design, implementation, and quality control in the Pathways American-Indian multicenter trial.Prev Med. 2003; 37: S13-S23
- Correlates of physical activity in young American Indian children: Lessons learned from the Wisconsin Nutrition and Growth Study.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2010; 16: 394-400
- Factors associated with overweight among urban American Indian adolescents: Findings from the project EAT.Ethn Dis. 2008; 18: 317-323
- Relationships between health behaviors and weight status in American Indian and white rural children.J Rural Health. 2013; 29: 349-359
- Correlates of overweight and obesity in American Indian children.J Pediatr Psychol. 2009; 34: 245-253
- Correlates of overweight and obesity among American Indian/Alaska Native and non-Hispanic white children and adolescents: National Survey of Children's Health, 2007.Matern Child Health J. 2012; 16: 268-277
- Nutritional concerns in American Indian and Alaska Native children: Transitions and future directions.J Am Diet Assoc. 1998; 98: 170-176
- Prepregnancy body mass index and feeding practices in relation to infants' growth.J Nurse Pract. 2013; 9: 270-276
- Knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs that can influence infant feeding practices in American Indian mothers.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1587-1593
- The TOTS community intervention to prevent overweight in American Indian toddlers beginning at birth: A feasibility and efficacy study.J Community Health. 2010; 35: 667-675
- Early predictors of obesity and cardiovascular risk among American Indian children.Matern Child Health J. 2012; 16: 1879-1886
- Long-Term Effects of Breastfeeding: A Systematic Review.World Health Organization, Geneva2013
- Duration of breastfeeding and risk of overweight: A meta-analysis.Am J Epidemiol. 2005; 162: 397-403
- Critical review of the World Health Organization's (WHO) 2007 report on 'evidence of the long-term effects of breastfeeding: Systematic reviews and meta-analysis' with respect to obesity.Obes Rev. 2008; 9: 594-605
- The effect of breastfeeding on mean body mass index throughout life: A quantitative review of published and unpublished observational evidence.Am J Clin Nutr. 2005; 82: 1298-1307
- Long-term consequences of breastfeeding on cholesterol, obesity, systolic blood pressure and type 2 diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Acta Paediatr. 2015; 104: 30-37
National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Add Health), 1994-2008. www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/DSDR/studies/21600. Accessed October 28, 2013.
- Clinical practice. Overweight children and adolescents.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 2100-2109
- Long-term effects of birth weight and breastfeeding duration on inflammation in early adulthood.Proc Biol Sci. 2014; 281: 20133116
R: A language and environment for statistical computing [computer program]. www.R-project.org. Accessed May 11, 2015.
Brownstein N, Kalsbeek WD, Tabor J, Entzel P, Daza E, Harris KM. Non-response in wave IV of the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. www.cpc.unc.edu/projects/addhealth/documentation/guides/W4_nonresponse.pdf. Accessed on May 22, 2015.
- Ethnic differences in body mass index trajectories from adolescence to adulthood: A focus on Hispanic and Asian subgroups in the United States.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e72983
- The relationship between body mass index and body size dissatisfaction in young adolescents: Spline function analysis.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1098-1102
- Lessons from prenatal care provider-based recruitment into the National Children's Study.Pediatr Rep. 2015; 7: 65-70
- Who participates? Accounting for longitudinal retention in the MIDUS national study of health and well-being.J Aging Health. 2010; 22: 307-331
- A history of infant feeding.J Perinat Educ. 2009; 18: 32-39
- Breastfeeding and the use of human milk.Pediatrics. 2012; 115: e827-e841
World Health Organization. Infant and young child feeding. www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs342/en/. Acceessed on January 4, 2016.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Healthy People 2020. www.healthypeople.gov/2020/default.aspx. Accessed on January 3, 2016.
US Department of Health and Health Services. The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding. www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/calls/breastfeeding/index.html. Accessed on January 11, 2016.
- Effect of infant feeding on the risk of obesity across the life course: A quantitative review of published evidence.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: 1367-1377
- Exclusive breastfeeding through 6 months: Infant intake and growth patterns.J Hum Lact. 2012; 28: 132-133
- Prevalence and predictors of exclusive breastfeeding at hospital discharge.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 119: 1171-1179
- Breast milk and energy intake in exclusively, predominantly, and partially breast-fed infants.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2003; 57: 1633-1642
- Socioeconomic status, infant feeding practices and early childhood obesity.Pediatr Obes. 2014; 9: 135-146
- Timing of solid food introduction and risk of obesity in preschool-aged children.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: e544-e551
- Association between timing of introducing solid foods and obesity in infancy and childhood: A systematic review.Matern Child Nutr. 2011; 7: 3-26
- Breastfeeding and obesity at 14 years: A cohort study.J Paediatr Child Health. 2006; 42: 289-296
- Anthropometry and body composition of 18 year old men according to duration of breast feeding: Birth cohort study from Brazil.BMJ. 2003; 327: 901
- Exclusive breastfeeding of Swedish children and its possible influence on the development of obesity: A prospective cohort study.BMC Pediatr. 2008; 8: 42
- An ecological systems approach to examining risk factors for early childhood overweight: Findings from the UK Millennium Cohort Study.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2009; 63: 147-155
- Breastfeeding among low income, African-American women: Power, beliefs and decision making.J Nutr. 2003; 133: 305S-309S
- Breastfeeding initiation and duration among low-income women in Alabama: The importance of personal and familial experiences in making infant-feeding choices.J Hum Lact. 2002; 18: 38-45
- Breastfeeding intentions among pregnant adolescents and young adults and their partners.Breastfeed Med. 2013; 8: 374-380
- Breastfeeding behavior among adolescents: Initiation, duration, and exclusivity.J Adolesc Health. 2013; 53: 394-400
- Ethiopian adolescents' attitudes and expectations deviate from current infant and young child feeding recommendations.J Adolesc Health. 2008; 43: 253-259
- African-American and Latina adolescent mothers' infant feeding decisions and breastfeeding practices: A qualitative study.J Adolesc Health. 2000; 26: 399-407
- Mechanisms underlying the association between breastfeeding and obesity.Int J Pediatr Obes. 2009; 4: 196-204
- Culturally competent research with American Indians and Alaska Natives: Findings and recommendations of the first symposium of the work group on American Indian Research and Program Evaluation Methodology.Am Indian Alsk Native Ment Health Res. 2005; 12: 1-21
- Research in American Indian and Alaska Native communities: Navigating the cultural universe of values and process.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1996; 64: 856-860
- Accuracy of adolescent self-report of height and weight in assessing overweight status: A literature review.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007; 161: 1154-1161
- Do infants fed directly from the breast have improved appetite regulation and slower growth during early childhood compared with infants fed from a bottle?.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 89
- Recall of age of weaning and other breastfeeding variables.Int Breastfeed J. 2006; 1: 4
- Review of community-based research: assessing partnership approaches to improve public health.Annu Rev Public Health. 1998; 19: 173-202
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Funded by the National Institute of Mental Health (T32 MH082709); and a research infrastructure grant from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (R24 HD042828).