Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Linus Pauling Institute. Micronutrient needs during pregnancy and lactation. http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/life-stages/pregnancy-lactation. Accessed December 13, 2014.
- Perinatal iron deficiency and neurocognitive development.Front Hum Neurosci. 2013; 7: 1-11
- The role of vitamin D in pregnancy and lactation: Insights from animal models and clinical studies.Annu Rev Nutr. 2012; 32: 97-123
- Low-dose calcium supplementation for preventing pre-eclampsia: A systematic review and commentary.BJOG. 2014; 121: 951-957
- The supply of choline is important for fetal progenitor cells.Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2011; 22: 624-628
- Motivators and barriers to prenatal supplement use among minority women in the United States.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 102-108
- Nutrition in pregnancy: Mineral and vitamin supplements.Am J Clin Nutr. 2000; 72: 280S-290S
- Dietary supplements contribute substantially to the total nutrient intake in pregnant Norwegian women.Ann Nutr Metab. 2008; 52: 272-280
- Effect of multiple-micronutrient supplementation on maternal nutrient status, infant birth weight and gestational age at birth in a low income, multi-ethnic population.Br J Nutr. 2010; 104: 437-445
- Nutrition and Your Health: Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th ed. National Academies Press, Washington, DC2015
- Rasmussen K.M. Yaktine A.L. Weight Gain During Pregnancy: Reexamining the Guidelines. The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2009
- High pregnancy weight gain and risk of excessive fetal growth.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 201: e1-e6
- Association of maternal weight gain in pregnancy with offspring obesity and metabolic and vascular traits in childhood.Circulation. 2010; 121: 2557-2564
- Gestational weight gain of pregnant African American adolescents affects body mass index 18 years later.J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2013; 42: 541-550
- How do pregnancy-related weight changes and breastfeeding relate to maternal weight and BMI-adjusted waist circumference 7 y after delivery? Results from a path analysis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 312-319
- Gestational weight gain and long-term postpartum weight retention: A meta-analysis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 94: 1225-1231
- Impact of perinatal weight change on long-term obesity and obesity-related illnesses.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 1349-1356
- Maternal gestational weight gain and offspring risk for childhood overweight or obesity.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 211: 259.e251-259.e258
- Associations of trimester-specific gestational weight gain with maternal adiposity and systolic blood pressure at 3 and 7 years postpartum.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 212 (20): e1-e12
- Association of maternal gestational weight gain with short- and long-term maternal and child health outcomes.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 202: e1-e8
- Gestational weight gain—United States, 2012 and 2013.MMWR Morbid Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015; 64: 1215-1220
- Pregravid body mass index is negatively associated with diet quality during pregnancy.Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10: 920-926
- GNB3 and FTO polymorphisms and pregnancy weight gain in black women.Biol Res Nurs. 2015; 17: 405-412
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Overweight and obesity. http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/defining.html. Accessed December 1, 2014.
University of Minnesota Nutrition Coordinating Center. Nutrition Data System for Research software and methodology version 2009. http://www.ncc.umn.edu/products/. Accessed April 19, 2016.
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. AMPM - USDA automated multiple-pass method. http://www.ars.usda.gov/News/docs.htm?docid=7710. Accessed June 14, 2016.
- A new statistical method for estimating the usual intake of episodically consumed foods with application to their distribution.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1575-1587
- Dietary Reference Intake: Applications in Dietary Practice.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2000
- You are what you eat, and so are your children: The impact of micronutrients on the epigenetic programming of offspring.Cell Mol Life Sci. 2014; 71: 271-285
- Biological mechanisms for nutritional regulation of maternal health and fetal development.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2012; 26: 4-26
- A nested case-control study of midgestation vitamin D deficiency and risk of severe preeclampsia.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95: 5105-5109
- Folate-mediated one-carbon metabolism and neural tube defects: Balancing genome synthesis and gene expression.Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today. 2007; 81: 183-203
- Non-redundant function of dystroglycan and beta1 integrins in radial sorting of axons.Development. 2011; 138: 4025-4037
- Third trimester iron status and pregnancy outcome in non-anaemic women; pregnancy unfavourably affected by maternal iron excess.Hum Reprod. 2000; 15: 1843-1848
- Iron and pregnancy—A delicate balance.Ann Hematol. 2006; 85: 559-565
- Iron status during pregnancy: Setting the stage for mother and infant.Am J Clin Nutr. 2005; 81: 1218S-1222S
- Dietary Reference Intakes: The Essential Guide to Nutrient Requirements.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2006
IBM-SPSS Statistics for Windows, version 20.0. Armonk, NY: IBM Corporation; 2011.
- What are pregnant women eating? Nutrient and food group differences by race.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 186: 480-486
- Nutrition profiles of African American women in the third trimester.MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs. 2011; 36: 120-126
- Maternal cereal consumption and adequacy of micronutrient intake in the periconceptional period.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 1276-1283
- Calcium intake during pregnancy among white and African-American pregnant women in the U.S.J Am Coll Nutr. 2004; 23: 43-50
- Dietary Reference Intakes: Applications in Dietary Assessment.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2000
- Racial/ethnic and sociodemographic factors associated with micronutrient intakes and inadequacies among pregnant women in an urban US population.Public Health Nutr. 2014; 17: 1960-1970
Current Eating Patterns in the United States. https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/chapter-2/current-eating-patterns-in-the-united-states/. Accessed November 10, 2016.
- Prepregnancy body mass index and dietary intake inthe first trimester of pregnancy.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2006; 19: 267-273
- Vitamin D intake during pregnancy: Association with maternal characteristics and infant birth weight.Early Hum Dev. 2009; 85: 231-234
Groth S, Simpson A, Fernandez I. The dietary choices of women who are low-income, pregnant, and African American [published online ahead of print July 22, 2016]. J Midwifery Womens Health. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jmwh.12463.
- A randomized controlled trial of a community-based nutrition education program for low-income parents.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 102-109
- Healthy home offerings via the mealtime environment (HOME): Feasibility, acceptability, and outcomes of a pilot study.Obesiy. 2010; 18: S69-S74
- Dietary outcomes of a community based intervention for mothers of young children: A randomised controlled trial.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014; 11: 120
Choose My Plate. https://www.choosemyplate.gov/. Accessed October 3, 2016.
Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters: No kid hungry. Cooking Matters: A long-term impact evaluation. https://cookingmatters.org/sites/default/files/CM_LongTermStudy_singlepages.pdf. Accessed March 25, 2016.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Three simple steps to eating more fruits and vegetables. http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/wp-content/uploads/UserFiles/File/pdf/resources/cdc/ThreeSimpleSteps_Brochure.pdf. Accessed September 30, 2016.
- Revised WIC food package improves diets of WIC families.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012; 44: 204-209
- Incentivizing fruit and vegetable purchases among participants in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children.Public Health Nutr. 2015; 18: 33-41
- Dietary assessment resource manual.J Nutr. 1994; 124: 2245S-2317S
- Low energy reporters vs others: A comparison of reported food intakes.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2000; 54: 281-287
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Support was provided by the National Center for Research Resources, a component of the National Institutes of Health (grant no. KL2 RR024136-03), the National Institute of Nursing Research (grant no. K23NR010748), and a University of Rochester School of Nursing Faculty Research Seed Grant.