Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
US Food and Drug Administration. FDA approves new high-intensity sweetener Advantame. http://www.fda.gov/Food/NewsEvents/ConstituentUpdates/ucm397740.htm. Reviewed June 23, 2014. Accessed October 6, 2016.
- Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Use of nutritive and nonnutritive sweeteners.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 739-758
- Metabolic effects of non-nutritive sweeteners.Physiol Behav. 2015; 152: 450-455
- Artificial sweeteners produce the counterintuitive effect of inducing metabolic derangements.Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 24: 431-441
- Does low-energy sweetener consumption affect energy intake and body weight? A systematic review, including meta-analyses, of the evidence from human and animal studies.Int J Obes (Lond). 2016; 40: 381-394
- A trial of sugar-free or sugar-sweetened beverages and body weight in children.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1397-1406
- Replacing caloric beverages with water or diet beverages for weight loss in adults: Main results of the Choose Healthy Options Consciously Everyday (CHOICE) randomized clinical trial.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 95: 555-563
- Fueling the obesity epidemic? Artificially sweetened beverage use and long-term weight gain.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008; 16: 1894-1900
- Diet soda intake is associated with long-term increases in waist circumference in a biethnic cohort of older adults: The San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 708-715
- Nonnutritive sweetener consumption in humans: Effects on appetite and food intake and their putative mechanisms.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 1-14
- Low-calorie sweetener consumption is increasing in the United States.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 96: 640-646
- Socio-demographic correlates and trends in low-calorie sweetener use among adults in the United States from 1999 to 2008.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2015; 69: 1035-1041
- Consumption of diet drinks in the United States, 2009-2010.NCHS Data Brief. 2012; : 1-8
- Trends in purchases and intake of foods and beverages containing caloric and low-calorie sweeteners over the last decade in the United States.Pediatr Obes. 2013; 8: 294-306
- Use of caloric and noncaloric sweeteners in US consumer packaged foods, 2005-2009.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112 (1828-1834, e1821-e1826)
- Low-calorie- and calorie-sweetened beverages: Diet quality, food intake, and purchase patterns of US household consumers.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 567-577
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/. Reviewed February 24, 2016. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- 2000 CDC Growth Charts for the United States: Methods and development.Vital Health Stat 11. 2002; May: 1-190
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Healthy weight: About adult BMI. https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/index.html. Revewied May 15, 2015. Accessed July 29, 2016.
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. AMPM−USDA Automated Multiple-Pass Method. https://www.ars.usda.gov/northeast-area/beltsville-md/beltsville-human-nutrition-research-center/food-surveys-research-group/docs/ampm-usda-automated-multiple-pass-method/. Modified September 8, 2016. Accessed October 5, 2016.
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. FNDDS Documentation and Databases, Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies, 5.0. http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=12068. Modified August 20, 2015. Accessd January 15, 2016.
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. FNDDS Documentation and Databases, Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies, 2011-2012. http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=12068. Modified August 20, 2015. Accessed January 15, 2016.
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 27. https://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=25706. Modified September 30, 2015. Accessed January 15, 2016.
- Associations between meal and snack frequency and diet quality in US adults: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003-2012.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 1101-1113
Stata [computer program]. Release 13. College Station, TX: StataCorp LP; 2013.
- Validity of US nutritional surveillance: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey caloric energy intake data, 1971-2010.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e76632
- Non-nutritive sweeteners in breast milk: Perspective on potential implications of recent findings.Arch Toxicol. 2015; 89: 2169-2171
- Nonnutritive sweeteners in breast milk.J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2015; 78: 1029-1032
- Guideline: Sugars Intake for Adults and Children.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2015
Research and Markets. Global food sweetener market—Growth, trends, forecast for the period (2015-2020). http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/ntqpkn/global_food. Published Janaury 2016. Accessed February 22, 2016.
US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service. Sugar and sweeteners outlook: March 2012. http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/sssm-sugar-and-sweeteners-outlook/sssm283.aspx. Updated July 5, 2012. Accessed September 1, 2015.
- Prevalence of and trends in diabetes among adults in the United States, 1988-2012.JAMA. 2015; 314: 1021-1029
- What parents think about giving nonnutritive sweeteners to their children: A pilot study.Int J Pediatr. 2014; 2014: 819872
- Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. Washington, DC: US Departments of Agriculture and Health and Human Services, 2015.Adv Nutr. 2016; 7: 202-204
- Nutrient-content claims—Guidance or cause for confusion?.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 195-198
- The sugar-sweetened beverage wars: Public health and the role of the beverage industry.Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2013; 20: 401-406
- Sources, pathways, and relative risks of contaminants in surface water and groundwater: A perspective prepared for the Walkerton inquiry.J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2002; 65: 1-142
- Non-nutritive and their role in the gastrointestinal tract.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012; 97: 2597-2605
- Artificial sweetener use among children: Epidemiology, recommendations, metabolic outcomes, and future directions.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2011; 58: 1467-1480, xi
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported by the Department of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences at the George Washington University. Additional support was provided by the George Washington University Food Institute Seed Funding. This research was also supported in part by the Intramural Research Program of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases at the National Institutes of Health.