Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Polyphenols: Food sources and bioavailability.Am J Clin Nutr. 2004; 79: 727-747
- High levels of Bifidobacteria are associated with increased levels of anthocyanin microbial metabolites: A randomized clinical trial.Food Funct. 2014; 5: 1932-1938
- Lignans and human health.Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2007; 44 (Review): 483-525
- Plant and mammalian lignans: A review of source, intake, metabolism, intestinal bacteria and health.Food Res Int. 2012; 46: 410-424
Food and Agriculture Organization/World Health Organization. Guidelines for the evaluation of probiotics in food. Report of a Joint FAO/WHO Working Group on Drafting Guidelines for the Evaluation of Probiotics in Food. Ontario, Canada: April 30-May 1, 2002.
- Should yoghurt cultures be considered probiotic?.Br J Nutr. 2005; 93: 783
- Health benefits of probiotics: A review.ISRN Nutr. 2013; 2013: 481651
- Association between dietary patterns and plasma biomarkers of obesity and cardiovascular disease risk.Am J Clin Nutr. 2001; 73: 61-67
- Nutrients, foods, and dietary patterns as exposures in research: A framework for food synergy.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 78: 508S-513S
- Consumption of yogurt, low-fat milk, and other low-fat dairy products is associated with lower risk of metabolic syndrome incidence in an elderly Mediterranean population.J Nutr. 2015; 145: 2308-2316
- Dairy product consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes in an elderly Spanish Mediterranean population at high cardiovascular risk.Eur J Nutr. 2015; 55: 349-360
- Cohort profile: Design and methods of the PREDIMED study.Int J Epidemiol. 2012; 41: 377-385
Predimed (Prevención con Dieta Mediterránea). www.predimed.es. Published 2003. Accessed February 8, 2016.
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with a Mediterranean diet.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1279-1290
- Relative validity of a semi-quantitative food-frequency questionnaire in an elderly Mediterranean population of Spain.Br J Nutr. 2010; 103: 1808-1816
- Development of a short dietary intake questionnaire for the quantitative estimation of adherence to a cardioprotective Mediterranean diet.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2004; 58: 1550-1552
- Validation of the Minnesota Leisure Time Physical Activity Questionnaire In Spanish Women. Investigators of the MARATDON Group.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2000; 32: 1431-1437
- Blood pressure measuring devices: Recommendations of the European Society of Hypertension.BMJ. 2001; 322: 531-536
- Estimating low-density lipoprotein cholesterol by the Friedewald equation is adequate for classifying patients on the basis of nationally recommended cutpoints.Clin Chem. 1990; 36: 15-19
- Tablas de Composición de Alimentos [Food Composition Tables].4th ed. Universidad de Granada, Granada2003
Neveu V, Perez-Jiménez J, Vos F, Crespy V, du Chaffaut L, Mennen L, Knox C, Eisner R, Cruz J, Wishart D, Scalbert A. Phenol-Explorer: An online comprehensive database on polyphenol contents in foods. 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/database/bap024.
SAS [computer program]. Version 9.3. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc; 2011.
- Absorption and metabolism of polyphenols in the gut and impact on health.Biomed Pharmacother. 2002; 56: 276-282
- Flavanols and anthocyanins in cardiovascular health: A review of current evidence.Int J Mol Sci. 2010; 11: 1679-1703
- Dietary flaxseed lignan extract lowers plasma cholesterol and glucose concentrations in hypercholesterolaemic subjects.Br J Nutr. 2008; 99: 1301-1309
- Health effects with consumption of the flax lignan secoisolariciresinol diglucoside.Br J Nutr. 2010; 103: 929-938
- Among plant lignans, pinoresinol has the strongest antiinflammatory properties in human intestinal Caco-2 cells.J Nutr. 2012; 142: 1798-1805
- Intake of the plant lignans matairesinol, secoisolariciresinol, pinoresinol, and lariciresinol in relation to vascular inflammation and endothelial dysfunction in middle age-elderly men and post-menopausal women living in Northern Italy.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2010; 20: 64-71
- Intakes of 4 dietary lignans and cause-specific and all-cause mortality in the Zutphen Elderly Study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 84: 400-405
- The influence of diet on the gut microbiota.Pharmacol Res. 2013; 69: 52-60
- Effect of tea phenolics and their aromatic fecal bacterial metabolites on intestinal microbiota.Res Microbiol. 2006; 157: 876-884
- High polyphenol, low probiotic diet for weight loss because of intestinal microbiota interaction.Chem Biol Interact. 2011; 189: 1-8
- Fecal microbial metabolism of polyphenols and its effects on human gut microbiota.Anaerobe. 2013; 23: 12-19
- Novel approaches for analysing gut microbes and dietary polyphenols: Challenges and opportunities.Microbiology. 2010; 156: 3224-3231
- Impact of polyphenols and polyphenol-rich dietary sources on gut microbiota composition.J Agric Food Chem. 2013; 61: 9517-9533
- PCR detection of Bifidobacterium strains and Streptococcus thermophilus in feces of human subjects after oral bacteriotherapy and yogurt consumption.Int J Food Microbiol. 2003; 81: 203-209
- Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus survive gastrointestinal transit of healthy volunteers consuming yogurt.FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2005; 250: 185-187
- Survival of yogurt bacteria in the human gut.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2006; 72: 5113-5117
Pei R, Martin DA, DiMarco DM, Bolling BW. Evidence for the effects of yogurt on gut health and obesity [published online ahead of print April 15, 2015]. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2014.883356.
- The scale of the evidence base on the health effects of conventional yogurt consumption: Findings of a scoping review.Front Pharmacol. 2015; 6: 1-12
- Association between yogurt consumption, dietary patterns, and cardio-metabolic risk factors.Eur J Nutr. 2016; 55: 577-587
- Yogurt and weight management.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 1229S-1234S
- Principles and clinical implications of the brain–gut–enteric microbiota axis.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009; 6: 306-314
- Is eating behavior manipulated by the gastrointestinal microbiota? Evolutionary pressures and potential mechanisms.Bioessays. 2014; 36: 940-949
- The microbiota and microbiome in aging: Potential implications in health and age-related diseases.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 776-781
- The prebiotic concept and human health: A changing landscape with riboflavin as a novel prebiotic candidate?.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2016; : 1-6
- Are dietary patterns useful for understanding the role of diet in chronic disease?.Am J Clin Nutr. 2001; 73: 1-2
- What comes first: The food or the nutrient? Executive summary of a symposium.J Nutr. 2014; 144: 543S-546S
- Food synergy: The key to balancing the nutrition research effort.Public Health Rev. 2012; 33: 507-529
- Changes in phenolic content of tomato products during storage.J Agric Food Chem. 2011; 59: 9358-9365
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST R. M. Lamuela-Raventos reports serving on the board of and receiving lecture fees from Research Foundation on Wine and Nutrition (FIVIN), receiving lecture fees from Cerveceros de España, and receiving lecture fees and travel support from PepsiCo. J Salas-Salvadó reports serving on the board of and receiving grant support through his institution from the International Nut and Dried Fruit Council, receiving consulting fees from Danone, and receiving grant support through his institution from Eroski and Nestlé. R. Estruch reports serving on the board of and receiving lecture fees from the FIVIN, serving on the boards of the Beer and Health Foundation and the European Foundation for Alcohol Research, receiving lecture fees from Cerveceros de España and Sanofi-Aventis, and receiving grant support through his institution from Novartis. F. Arós reports receiving payment for the development of educational presentations from Menarini and AstraZeneca. X. Pintó reports serving on the board of and receiving grant support through his institution from the Residual Risk Reduction Initiative (R3i) Foundation; serving on the board of Omegafort; serving on the board of and receiving payment for the development of educational presentations, as well as grant support through his institution, from Ferrer; receiving consulting fees from Abbott Laboratories; receiving lecture fees, as well as grant support through his institution, from Merck and Roche; receiving lecture fees from Danone and Esteve; receiving payment for the development of educational presentations from Menarini; and receiving grant support through his institution from Sanofi-Aventis, Kowa, Unilever, Boehringer Ingelheim, and Karo Bio. Sponsor’s role: The funding sources played no role in study design; collection, analysis, or interpretation of data; writing of the manuscript; or the decision to submit for publication. No potential conflict of interest was reported by the other authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT The authors would like to express their gratitude for financial support from Instituto Danone, CICYT (AGL2013-49083-C3-1-R) from the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitively, Generalitat de Catalunya (GC) 2014 SGR 773, and CIBEROBN from the Instituto de Salud Carlos III. The funding sources played no role in the study design, the collection, analysis, or interpretation of data, the writing of the manuscript; or the decision to submit for publication.