Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Dietary assessment methodology.in: Coulston A.M. Boushey C.J. Ferruzzi M.G. Nutrition in the Prevention and Treatment of Disease. 3rd ed. Elsevier, London, UK2013: 5-46
- Psychosocial correlates of eating behavior in children and adolescents: A review.Int J Behav Nutr and Phys Act. 2009; 6
National Cancer Institute. Automated Self-Administered 24-Hour Recall: ASA24 Kids-2014 and ASA24 Kids-2012. http://epi.grants.cancer.gov/asa24/respondent/childrens.html. Updated March 29, 2016. Accessed June 23, 2016.
- Comparison of a web-based versus traditional diet recall among children.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 527-532
- Young adolescents’ nutrition assessment on computer (YANA-C).Eur J Clin Nutr. 2005; 59: 658-667
- The Automated Self-Administered 24-Hour Dietary Recall for Children, 2012 Version, for Youth Aged 9 to 11 Years: A Validation Study.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1591-1598
- The Food Intake Recording Software System is valid among fourth-grade children.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 380-385
- Validation of the Portuguese self-administered computerized 24-hour dietary recall among second-, third- and fourth-grade children.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2015; 28: 666-674
- Criterion validity and user acceptability of a CD-ROM-mediated food record for measuring fruit and vegetable consumption among black adolescents.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 3-11
- Evaluation of web-based Dietary Assessment Software for Children: Comparing reported fruit, juice, and vegetable intakes with plasma carotenoid concentration and school lunch observations.Br J Nutr. 2013; 110: 186-195
- Validity of self-reported lunch recalls in Swedish school children aged 6-8 years.Nutr J. 2013; 12: 129
- Criterion validity of the Healthy Eating Self-monitoring Tool (HEST) for black adolescents.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 321-324
- Content validity in psychological assessment: A functional approach to concepts and methods.Psychol Assess. 1995; 7: 238-247
- Validity of psychological assessment: Validation of inferences from persons’ responses and performances as scientific inquiry into score meaning.Am Psychol. 1995; 50: 741-749
- A cognitive model of children’s reporting of food intake.Am J Clin Nutr. 1994; 59: 212S-217S
- Evaluation of dietary assessment instruments in adolescents.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2003; 6: 557-562
- Energy intake misreporting among children and adolescents: A literature review.Matern Child Nutr. 2011; 7: 112-127
- Dietary acculturation: Applications to nutrition research and dietetics.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 1104-1117
- Sampling in interview-based qualitative research: A theoretical and practical guide.Qual Res Psychol. 2014; 11: 25-41
- Mixed methods sampling strategies in social science research.in: Tashakkori A. Teddlie C. Handbook of Mixed Methods in Social and Behavioral Research. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2003: 273-296
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. Nutrition Standards in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs: Final Rule. National Archives and Records Administration, January 26, 2012;77(17):7 CFR Parts 210 and 220. https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2012/01/26/2012-1010/nutrition-standards-in-the-national-school-lunch-and-school-breakfast-programs. Accessed November 8, 2013.
- The USDA automated multiple-pass method accurately estimates group total energy and nutrient intake.J Nutr. 2006; 136: 2594-2599
US Department of Agriculture. USDA Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies, 4.1. Beltsville, MD: Agricultural Research Service, Food Surveys Research Group; 2010.
Bowman SA, Friday JE, Moshfegh AJ. MyPyramid Equivalents Database 2.0, for USDA Survey Foods, 2003-2004. Beltsville, MD: Food Surveys Research Group, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture; 2008; https://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/80400530/pdf/mped/mped2_doc.pdf. Accessed January 30, 2016.
- Test of the accuracy and speed of categorizing foods into child vs. professional categories using two methods of browsing with children.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 91-94
- Children’s accuracy of portion size estimation using digital food images: Effects of interface design and size of image on computer screen.Public Health Nutr. 2010; 14: 418-425
- Accuracy of fourth-graders’ dietary recalls of school breakfast and school lunch validated with observations: In-person versus telephone interviews.J Nut Educ Behav. 2003; 35: 124-134
- Trading of food during school lunch by first- and fourth-grade children.Nutr Res. 2001; 21: 499-503
- Observation in assessment of children’s dietary practices.J Sch Health. 1991; 61: 204-207
Weber JL. Effects of training on portion size estimation. University of Arizona Campus Repository: Tucson, AZ; 1993. http://arizona.openrepository.com/arizona/handle/10150/186506. Accessed February 11, 2016.
- A short training program improves the accuracy of portion-size estimates in future dietitians.Arch Latin Am Nutr. 2007; 57: 163-167
- Reliability of direct observation of schoolchildren’s consumption of bag lunches.J Am Diet Assoc. 1992; 92: 219-221
- Data collection strategies in mixed methods research.in: Tashakkori A. Teddlie C. Handbook of Mixed Methods in Social and Behavioral Research. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2003: 297-320
- An effect size primer: A guide for clinicians and researchers.Prof Psychol Res Pr. 2009; 40: 532-538
- On the pragmatics of qualitative assessment: Designing the process for content analysis.Eur J Psychol Assess. 2006; 22: 28-37
- Three approaches to qualitative content analysis.Qual Health Res. 2005; 15: 1277-1288
- From text to codings: Intercoder reliability assessment in qualitative content analysis.Nurs Res. 2008; 57: 113-117
- 24-Hour recall and diet record methods.in: Willett W. Nutritional Epidemiology. 3rd ed. Oxford University Press, New York, NY2013: 49-69
- Web-based food behavior questionnaire: Validation with grades six to eight students.Can J Diet Pract Res. 2009; 70: 172-178
- G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences.Behav Res Methods. 2007; 39: 175-191
- Cognitive processes in children’s dietary recalls: Insight from methodological studies.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009; 63: S19-S32https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2008.61
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.