Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
US Department of Agriculture. Scientific report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/PDFs/Scientific-Report-of-the-2015-Dietary-Guidelines-Advisory-Committee.pdf. Updated 2015. Accessed September 8, 2015.
Nutrition and Your Health. 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th edition. December 2015. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/. Accessed January 5, 2016.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. State indicator report on fruits and vegetables. http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/downloads/State-Indicator-Report-Fruits-Vegetables-2013.pdf. Updated 2012. Accessed August 27, 2015.
- Community supported agriculture: Filling a niche market.J Food Dist Res. 1996; 27: 90-98
- Factors influencing the decision to join a community supported agriculture (CSA) farm.J Sustainable Agric. 1997; 10: 129-141
DeMuth S. Community supported agriculture (CSA): An annotated bibliography and resource guide. http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/pubs/csa/at93-02.shtml. Updated 2008. Accessed March 4, 2012.
- Eating for your community: Towards agriculture supported community.Context Inst. 1995; 42: 29-31
Fairshare CSA Coalition. History of CSA. http://www.csacoalition.org/our-farms/about-csa/history-of-csa/. Accessed October 8, 2015.
- Consumer benefits from community supported agriculture membership.Rev Agric Econ. 1998; 20: 227
- Buy local, pollute less: What drives households to join a community supported farm?.Ecol Econ. 2009; 68: 1488-1495
- Community supported agriculture, food consumption patterns, and member commitment.J Culture Agric. 2002; 24: 14-25
Japan Organic Agriculture Association. “TEIKEI” system, the producer-consumer co-partnership and the movement of the Japan Organic Agriculture Association. http://www.joaa.net/english/teikei.htm. Updated 1993. Accessed October 9, 2015.
McFadden S. Community farms in the 21st century: Poised for another wave of growth? http://newfarm.rodaleinstitute.org/features/0104/csa-history/part1.shtml. Accessed October 9, 2015.
- Attending the first organic agriculture course: Rudolf Steiner’s agriculture course at Koberwitz, 1924.J Eur Soc Sci. 2011; 21: 64-70
Diver S. Biodynamic farming and compost preparation. http://www.demeter-usa.org/downloads/Demeter-Science-Biodynamic-Farming-&-Compost.pdf. February 1999. Accessed August 5, 2012.
Lass D, Stevenson GW, Hendrickson J, Ruhf K. CSA across the nation: Findings from the 1999 CSA survey. http://www.cias.wisc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/csaacross.pdf. 2003. Accessed October 9, 2015.
Indian Line Farm. History of the farm. http://www.indianlinefarm.com/history.html#. Accessed October 9, 2015.
The Temple-Wilton Community Farm. A brief history of the farm. http://www.twcfarm.com/description. Accessed October 9, 2015.
- Community supported agriculture: Building moral community or an alternative consumer choice.J Culture Agric. 1995; 15: 28-31
US Department of Agriculture. Community supported agriculture. http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/pubs/csa/csa.shtml. Updated 2014. Accessed August 29, 2015.
Local harvest. Community supported agriculture. http://www.localharvest.org/csa/. Accessed September 15, 2015.
Woods T, Ernst M, Ernst S, Wright N. 2009 survey of community supported agriculture producers. https://www.uky.edu/Ag/CCD/csareport.pdf. 2009. Agricultural Economics Extension Series 2009-11. Accessed August 15, 2015.
Oberholtzer L. Community supported agriculture in the mid-Atlantic region: Results of a shareholder survey and farmer interviews. http://www.smallfarmsuccess.info/CSA_Report.pdf. July 2004. Accessed January 1, 2011.
- Community-supported agriculture in the research triangle region of North Carolina: Demographics and effects of membership on household food supply and diet.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2010; 5: 70-84
- Motivations for participating in community-supported agriculture and their relationship with community attachment and social capital.J Rural Soc Sci. 2008; 23: 94-115
- Community-supported agriculture; a sustainable alternative to industrial agriculture?.J Hum Org. 2000; 59: 187-197
- Lessons learned from advocating CSAs for low-income and food insecure households.J Rural Soc Sci. 2008; 23: 116-148
- The impacts of local markets: A review of research on farmers markets and community supported agriculture (CSA).Am J Agric Econ. 2008; 90: 1296-1302
- Food with a farmer's face: Community-supported agriculture in the United States.Geogr Rev. 2007; 97: 550-564
- Community food security programs improve food access.Food Rev. 2001; 24: 20-26
- Buying into community supported agriculture: Strategies for overcoming income barriers.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2008; 2: 65-79
- Feasibility of using a community supported agriculture program to improve fruit and vegetable inventories and consumption in an underresourced urban community.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E136
- Expanding our understanding of community supported agriculture (CSA): An examination of member satisfaction.J Sustainable Agric. 2005; 26: 61-79
- Community supported agriculture membership in Arizona: An exploratory study of food and sustainability behaviours.Appetite. 2012; 59: 431-436
- The adaptive consumer: Shifting attitudes, behavior change and CSA membership renewal.Renew Agr Food Syst. 2008; 23: 136-148
Perez J, Allen P, Brown M. Community supported agriculture on the central coast: The CSA member experience. Research Brief #1. http://escholarship.org/uc/item/5wh3z9jg. Published winter 2003. Accessed January 1, 2011.
- Global food markets and their local alternatives: A socio-ecological economic perspective.Popul Environ. 2001; 22: 533-554
Conner DS. Community supported agriculture pricing and promotion strategies: Lessons from two Ithaca, NY area farms. 2003. EB Series: No 122132. http://econpapers.repec.org/paper/agscudaeb/122132.htm. Accessed January 10, 2011.
- Marketing strategies and challenges of small-scale organic producers in central North Carolina.J Culture Agric. 2000; 22: 40-50
- University engagement through local food enterprise: Community-supported agriculture on campus.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2009; 4: 112-128
Allen P, Guthman J, Morris A. Meeting farm and food security needs through community supported agriculture and farmers' markets in California. Research Brief #9. http://casfs.ucsc.edu/documents/research-briefs/RB_9_food_security.pdf. Published fall 2006. Accessed September 9, 2015.
- Embeddedness and local food systems: Notes on two types of direct agricultural market.J Rural Stud. 2000; 16: 295-305
- Linkage between direct marketing and farm income: A double-hurdle approach.Agribusiness. 2011; 27: 19-33
Martinez S, Hand M, Da Pra M, et al. Local food systems: Concepts, impacts and issues. http://www.ers.usda.gov/media/122868/err97_1_.pdf. Updated 2010. Accessed January 10, 2011.
- Commodity agriculture, civic agriculture and the future of US farming.Rural Sociol. 2004; 69: 370-385
- The changing face of community-supported agriculture.J Culture Agric. 2010; 32: 17-26
- Farming alone? What's up with the “C” in community supported agriculture.Agric Human Values. 2013; 30: 85-100
- Food, health, the environment and consumers' dietary choices.Nutr Diet. 2005; 62: 21-25
- Food-miles and the relative climate impacts of food choices in the United States.J Environ Sci Technol. 2008; 42: 3508
- Community supported agriculture: A conceptual model of health implications.Austin J Nutri Food Sci. 2014; 2: 1024
- Collaborative community-supported agriculture: Balancing community capitals for producers and consumers.Int J Sociol Agric Food. 2012; 19: 329-346
- Farmers' and consumers' beliefs about community-supported agriculture in Australia: A qualitative study.Ecol Food Nutr. 2006; 45: 61-86
- When the apple falls close to the tree: Local food systems and the preservation of diversity.Renew Agric and Food Syst. 2004; 19: 228
- Still a time to act: A review of institutional marketing of regionally-grown food.Agric Hum Values. 2008; 25: 241-255
- An analysis of the impacts of health insurance rebate initiatives on community supported agriculture in southern Wisconsin.J Agric Food Syst Comm Dev. 2011; 2: 1-10
- Community supported agriculture: A commitment to a healthier diet.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2012; 7: 20-37
- Impacts of community supported agriculture program participation on consumer food purchases and dietary choice.J Food Dist Res. 2013; 44: 42-51
- A novel dietary improvement strategy: Examining the potential impact of community-supported agriculture membership.Public Health Nutr. 2016; 19: 2618-2628
- Access to local agriculture and weight outcomes.Agric Resour Econ Rev. 2012; 41: 57-71
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported by a HealthPartners Research Foundation Partnership grant (no. 08-092). In kind support was provided by Minnesota Management and Budget and the Minnesota Department of Agriculture. The HealthPartners Research Foundation, Minnesota Management and Budget, and Minnesota Department of Agriculture had no role in the design, analysis, or writing of this article.