Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Council on Future Practice. Futures thinking, visioning and change leadership process of the Council on Future Practice. www.eatrightpro.org/visioning. Published April 2014. Accessed October 29, 2015.
- Future changes driving dietetics workforce supply and demand: Future scan 2012-2022.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: S10-S24
Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics. Rationale for future education preparation of nutrition and dietetics practitioners. www.eatrightacend.org/ACEND/content.aspx?id=6442485290. Published February 2015. Updated July 2015. Updated August 2015. Accessed August 25, 2015.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation. Future of food. www.eatrightpro.org/resource/about-us/alliances-and-collaborations/foundation-initiatives/future-of-food. Published 2013. Accessed April 17, 2015.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Visioning process. Change drivers and trends driving the profession: A Prelude to the Visioning Report 2017. www.eatrightpro.org/resource/leadership/volunteering/committee-leader-resources/visioning-process. Published November 12, 2015. Accessed September 15, 2016.
World Future Society. The art of foresight. Preparing for a changing world: A special report from the World Future Society. www.wfs.org/specialreports. Published 2009. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Compensation and benefits survey 2015.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 370-388
Cetron M, Davies O. 52 Trends shaping tomorrow’s world. World Future Society Website. www.wfs.org/specialreports. Published 2010. Accessed August 28, 2015.
Ortman J, Velkoff V, Hogan H. An aging nation: The older population in the United States. Population estimates and projections. US Census Bureau. May 2014; Report Number: P25-1140. www.census.gov/library/publications/2014/demo/p25-1140.html. Updated July 17, 2014. Accessed December 14, 2014.
- Population risk factors and trends in health care and public policy.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: S35-S46
Anderson G. Chronic care: Making the case for ongoing care. Princeton, NJ: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation; 2010. www.rwjf.org/pr/product.jsp?id=50968. Accessed October 29, 2015.
- Chronic Conditions Among Medicare Beneficiaries, Chart Book.Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Baltimore, MD2011
- Multiple Chronic Conditions Chartbook: 2010 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey Data.(AHRQ Publications No. Q14-0038) Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MDApril 2014
- Food and nutrition programs for community-residing older adults.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 463-472
- Compensation and Benefits Survey of the Dietetics Profession.Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Chicago, IL2013: 1-225
Colby SL, Ortman JM. Projections of the size and composition of the US population: 2014 to 2060. Current population reports, P25-1143. Washington, DC: US Census Bureau; 2014. http://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2015/demo/p25-1143.pdf. Accessed November 3, 2015.
Ennis S, Rios-Vargas M, Albert N. The Hispanic population: 2010. US Census Bureau. Published May 2011. www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-04.pdf. Accessed October 23, 2015.
Hoeffel E, Rastogi S, Ouk Kim M, Shahid H. The Asian population: 2010. US Census Bureau. Published March 2012. www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-11.pdf. Accessed October 23, 2015.
- The nutrition and dietetics workforce needs skills and expertise in the New York metropolitan area.Global J Health Sci. 2015; 8: 14-24
- A Practitioner’s Guide for Advancing Health Equity: Community Strategies for Preventing Chronic Disease.US Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA2013
- HHS Action Plan to Reduce Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. A Nation Free of Disparities in Health and Health Care.US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DCApril 2011
US Department of Health and Human Services. HHS takes next step in advancing health equity through the Affordable Care Act. http://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2015/09/03/hhs-takes-next-step-advancing-health-equity-through-affordable-care-act.html. Published September 3, 2015. Accessed October 23, 2015.
Kaiser Family Foundation. Disparities in health and health care: Five key questions and answers. http://kff.org/disparities-policy/issue-brief/disparities-in-health-and-health-care-five-key-questions-and-answers/. Published November 30, 2012. Accessed October 15, 2015.
- Promoting diversity within the dietetics profession through a peer mentorship program.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 198-202
- The educational pipeline and diversity in dietetics.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 791-800
- Strawberry fields forever? Urban agriculture in developed countries: A review.Agron Sustain Dev. 2014; 34: 21-43
US Department of Agriculture. Know your farmer know your food. www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=KYF_COMPASS Updated May 11, 2015. Accessed June 19, 2015.
- Consumers’ perceptions and preferences for local food: A review.Food Qual Prefer. 2015; 40: 152-164
- Practice paper of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Promoting ecological sustainability with the food system.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113 ([abstract]) (Accessed December 18, 2014): 464
- Positive attitudes toward organic, local, and sustainable foods are associated with higher dietary quality among young adults.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 127-132
- Lifestyle segmentation of US food shoppers to examine organic and local food consumption.Appetite. 2011; 57: 28-37
US Department of Agriculture. Local and regional food systems. www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?contentid=usda-results-local.html. Last modified June 24, 2015. Accessed September 29, 2015.
Watrous M. Is local the new organic? Food Business News website. www.foodbusinessnews.net. Published January 28, 2015. Accessed August 3, 2015.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Standards of professional performance for registered dietitian nutritionists (competent, proficient, and expert) in sustainable, resilient, and healthy food and water systems.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 475-488
- Food reformulation: The challenges to the food industry.Proc Nutr Soc. 2013; 72: 61-69
- Leverage points for improving global food security and the environment.AAAS. 2014; 345: 325-328
- Importance of food-demand management for climate mitigation.Nat Climate Change. 2014; 4: 924-929
- Paths of convergence for agriculture, health, and wealth.PNAS. 2012; 109: 12294-12301
- FAO and the one health approach.Curr Topics Microbiol Immunol. 2013; 366: 65-72
- Global hunger: A challenge to agricultural, food, and nutritional sciences.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2014; 54: 151-162
- Protein production: Planet, profit, plus people?.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 100: 483S-489S
- Climate change and food systems.Annu Rev Environ Res. 2012; 37: 195-222
- Flexitarianism: Decarbonising through flexible vegetarianism.Renew Energy. 2014; 67: 90-96
- Water use and shortages: The environmental impact and how RDs can help.Today’s Dietitian. 2015; 17: 46-51
- Global diets link environmental sustainability and human health.Nature. 2014; 515: 518-522
- The World’s Water 2008-2009: The Biennial Report on Freshwater Resources.Island Press, Washington, DC2009
- Water quality in agricultural lands draining to the Great Barrier Reef: A review of causes, management and priorities.Agricult Ecosyst Environ. 2013; 180: 4-20
- Fate and transport of glyphosate and aminomethylphosphonic acid in surface waters of agricultural basins.Pest Manag Sci. 2012; 68: 16-30
- Sustainable diets for the future: Can we contribute to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by eating a healthy diet?.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 96: 632-639
- Conference on ‘Future Food and Health’ symposium I: Sustainability and food security. Is a healthy diet an environmentally sustainable diet?.Proc Nutr Soc. 2013; 72: 13-20
- Can we feed the world & sustain the planet?.Sci Am. 2011; 3015: 60-65
- Linking agriculture, nutrition, and health: The role of the registered dietitian.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1710-1714
- North American Food Sector, Part One: Program Scan and Literature Review.Wallace Center at Winrock International, Arlington, VA2013
Wilms T. The world in 2033: Big thinkers and futurists share their thoughts. Forbes website. www.forbes.com/sites/sap/2013/02/08/the-world-in-2033-big-thinkers-and-futurists-share-their-thoughts/. Published February 8, 2013. Accessed February 13, 2015.
- Adventures in personal genomics.The Futurist. 2014; 48: 43-45
- Diet-related disease, nutritional genomics, and food and nutrition professionals.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 410-413
- Report from the advanced-level clinical practice audit task force of the Commission on Dietetic Registration: Results of the 2013 advanced-level clinical practice audit.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 114: 624-634
- Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Nutritional genomics.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 299-312
- Standards of professional practice for genetic metabolic dietitians.Genet Med. 2008; 10: 290-293
- Advanced practitioners and what they do that is different. Roles in genetics.Top Clin Nutr. 2009; 24: 219-230
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Chronic diseases: The leading cause of death and disability in the United States. http://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/overview/. Published 2014. Updated August 26, 2015. Accessed October 23, 2015.
- The State of Aging and Health in America 2013.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA2013
- Integrating Research and Practice: Health System Leaders Working Toward High-Value Care: Workshop Summary.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2014
- Beyond a traditional payer—CMS’s role in improving population health.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 109-111
- Paradigm shift in health care reimbursement: A look at ACOs and bundled service payments.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 974-979
Jacobson DM, Teutsch S. An environmental scan of integrated approaches for defining and measuring total population health by the clinical care system, the government public health system, and stakeholder organizations. National Quality Forum. www.qualityforum.org/Publications/2012/06/An_Environmental_Scan_of_Integrated_Approaches_for_Defining_and_Measuring_Total_Population_Health.aspx. Published June 2012. Accessed March 19, 2015.
- Registered dietitian nutritionists bring value to emerging health care delivery models.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 2017-2022
- A Position paper on how cost and quality reforms are changing healthcare in America: Focus on nutrition.J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2013; 37: 796-801
- Perceptions, attitudes, knowledge, and clinical use of evidence-based practice among US registered dietitians: A prospective descriptive pilot study.Top Clin Nutr. 2013; 28: 283-294
- Dietitians and research: Facilitating involvement. History of dietitian involvement in dietetics research in the US.Top Clin Nutr. 2014; 29: 227-238
- Individualized nutritional intervention during and after hospitalization: The nutrition intervention study clinical trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 10-17
- Early nutritional support and physiotherapy improved long-term self-sufficiency in acutely ill older patients.Nutrition. 2015; 31: 166-177
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Dietary Treatment.(22nd Version) SEO Economic Research, Amsterdam2012
Harvey E. Standardized ordering and administration of total parenteral nutrition reduced errors in children’s hospital. AHRQ Health Care Innovations Exchange. https://innovations.ahrq.gov/profiles/standardized-ordering-and-administration-total-parenteral-nutrition-reduces-errors. Published March 2, 2009. Updated July 30, 2014. Accessed August 12, 2015.
Woodcock CH, Nelson GD. Hospital community benefits after the ACA: Leveraging hospital community benefit policy to improve community health. Hospital Community Benefit Program. Baltimore, MD: The Hilltop Institute; June 2015. http://www.hilltopinstitute.org/publications/HospitalCommunityBenefitsAfterTheACA-LeveragingPolicyIssueBrief11-June2015.pdf. Accessed October 6, 2016.
- Committee for Public Health/Community Nutrition established within the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1499
- Healthy Hospital Choices: Recommendations and Approaches from an Expert Panel.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2010
Begun R. Food(service) as medicine. Food Management website. http://food-management.com/blog/foodservice-medicine. Published August 18, 2015. Accessed August 21, 2015.
- Millennials at work: Workplace environments of young adults and associations with weight-related health.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2016; 70: 65-71
- The role of registered dietitians in health promotion.Can J Diet Pract Res. 2013; 74: 80-83
- Nutrition and public health: Preparing registered dietitian nutritionists for marketplace demands.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 695-699
- Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: The role of nutrition in health promotion and chronic disease prevention.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 972-979
Frey S, French S. Health & wellness in America. The Nielsen Company and Natural Marketing Institute. http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/reports/2014/health-and-wellness-in-america-the-consumer-perspective.html. Published August 2014. Accessed February 9, 2015.
- Our choice/nuestra opcio'n: The Imperial County, California, childhood obesity research demonstration study (CA-CORD).Childhood Obes. 2015; 11: 37-47
- Moving the worksite health promotion profession forward: Is the time right for requiring standards? A review of the literature.Health Promot Pract. 2015; 16: 20-27
- Worksite wellness: An ideal career option for nutrition and dietetics practitioners.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1895-1901
- To Err is Human.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC1999
- Crossing the Quality Chasm. A New Health System for the 21st Century.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2001
- Health Professions Education: A Bridge to Quality.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2003
- The triple aim: Care, health, and cost.Health Affairs. 2008; 27: 759-769
- American Interprofessional Health Collaborative: Historical roots and organizational beginnings.J Allied Health. 2010; 39: 204-209
- A WHO Report: Framework for action on interprofessional education and collaborative practice.J Allied Health. 2010; 39: 196-197
- Interprofessional Education for Collaboration: Learning How to Improve Health from Interprofessional Models Across the Continuum of Education to Practice: Workshop Summary.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2013
- Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice: Report of an Expert Panel.IPEC, Washington, DC2011
- The value in interprofessional, collaborative-ready nutrition and dietetics practitioners.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1578-1588
- Measuring the Impact of Interprofessional Education on Collaborative Practice and Patient Outcomes.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2015
Food Marketing Institute. New survey: Food retailers identified as wellness destination. /www.fmi.org/news-room/latest-news/view/2015/03/10/new-survey-food-retailers-identified-as-wellness-destination. Published March 10, 2015. Accessed September 11, 2015.
- Global, regional, and national comparative risk assessment of 79 behavioural, environmental and occupational, and metabolic risks or clusters of risks in 188 countries, 1990-2013: A systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2013.Lancet. 2015; 386: 2287-2323
- Retail RDs’ impact on public health.Today’s Dietitian. 2015; 17: 40-43
- An overview of the intentions of health care reform.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: S56-S63
- The information revolution’s broken promises.Futurist. 2014; 48: 22-28
- Rx disruption: Technology trends in medicine and health care.Futurist. 2014; 48: 31-38
Topol E. The future of medicine is in your smartphone: New tools are tilting health-care control from doctors to patients. Wall Street Journal. www.wsj.com/articles/the-future-of-medicine-is-in-your-smartphone-1420828632. Published January 9, 2015. Accessed November 3, 2015.
- The Role of Telehealth in an Evolving Health Care Environment: Workshop Summary.National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC2012
- Twenty years of telemedicine in chronic disease management—An evidence synthesis.J Telemed Telecare. 2012; 18: 211-220
- A cost-effectiveness analysis of teledietetics in short-, intermediate-, and long-term weight reduction.J Telemed Telecare. 2015; 21: 268-275
Boxall A. 2015 Is the year of health and fitness apps, says Google. Digital Trends website. www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-play-store-2014-most-downloaded-apps/. Published December 11, 2014. Accessed December 12, 2014.
- The use of mobile apps to improve nutrition outcomes: A systematic literature review.J Telemed Telecare. 2015; 21: 243-253
Frey T. 33 Dramatic predictions for 2030. Futurist Speaker website. www.futuristspeaker.com. Published December, 2013. Accessed February 13, 2015.
Diamandis P. Ripe for disruption. Transportation. Agriculture. Healthcare and eldercare. http://diamandis.com/blog/ripe-for-disruption-part-3. Published September 20, 2015. Accessed September 22, 2015.
Diamandis P. Healthcare, finance and insurance. www.diamandis.com/blog/ripe-for-disruption-part-1. Published September 6, 2015. Accessed September 22, 2015.
- Remote nutrition counseling: Considerations in a new channel for client communication.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1561-1576
- Video consultations and virtual nutrition care for weight management.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1213-1225
- Status of simulation in health care education: An international survey.Adv Med Educ Pract. 2014; 5: 457-467
- The role of simulation in continuing medical education for acute care physicians: A systematic review.Crit Care Med. 2015; 43: 186-193
- Using simulation learning through academic-practice partnership to promote transition to clinical practice: A qualitative evaluation.J Adv Nurs. 2015; 71: 1044-1054
Damassa D, Sitko T. Simulation technologies in higher education: Uses, trends, and implications. ECAR Research Bulletin 3. Boulder, CO: Educause; 2010. https://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ERB1003.pdf. Accessed October 6, 2016.
- Enteral nutrition simulation-based training and competency assessment.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: A-67
- The time is now: A blueprint for simulation in dietetics education.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 183-194
- Interprofessional, simulation-based technology-enhanced learning to improve physical healthcare in psychiatry: The RAMPPS course.Health Inform J. 2016; 22: 397-405
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Definition of terms. www.eatrightpro.org/resources/practice/quality-management/scope-of-practice. Updated January 2015. Accessed September 25, 2015.
US Department of Health and Human Services. Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Quick guide to health literacy fact sheet. http://health.gov/communication/literacy/quickguide/factsbasic.htm. Accessed October 15, 2015.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Defining the PCMH. US Department of Health and Human Services. Patient Centered Medical Home Resource Center. https://www.pcmh.ahrq.gov/page/defining-pcmh. Accessed November 3, 2015.
- Establishing Transdisciplinary Professionalism for Improving Health Outcomes: Workshop Summary.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2014
Address requests for reprints to: Marsha Schofield, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 120 S Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, IL 60606.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.