Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Carry the Flame.American Dietetic Association, Chicago, IL1990 (289,388,413,415-416)
- Registration—The sine qua non of a competent dietitian.J Am Diet Assoc. 1974; 64: 616-620
- Annual Reports and Proceedings: 51st Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California 1967-1968.American Dietetic Association, Chicago, IL1968: 561
Final revised proposal for professional registration. Chicago, IL: American Dietetic Association; November 1968.
ADA Courier. Chicago, IL: American Dietetic Association; IX(4):April 1969.
Woodward NM. Credentialing in Dietetics: Past, Present, and Future: Background Paper. Chicago, IL: American Dietetic Association/Commission on Dietetics Registration; 1994:17.
- The Academy’s Governance and Practice: Restructuring for the challenges of the 21st century.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112 (e1-14): 1871-1896
- The Credentialing Handbook.Aspen Publications, Gaithersburg, MD1999: 14-15
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Report of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics/Commission on Dietetic Registration 2012 Needs Satisfaction Survey.. 2013; 113: 146-152
- Report on the American Dietetic Association/Commission on Dietetic Registration 2008 Needs Assessment.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 1283-1293
About the Commission on Dietetic Registration. CDR website. https://www.cdrnet.org/about. Accessed October 27, 2016.
- The development of test specifications for the registration examinations.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1263-1265
- Role delineation for dietetic practitioners: Empirical results.J Am Diet Assoc. 1990; 90: 1124-1133
- 1995 Commission on Dietetic Registration dietetics practice audit.J Am Diet Assoc. 1996; 96: 1292-1301
- 2000 Commission on Dietetics Registration dietetics practice audit.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 270-292
- Distinguishing entry-level RD and DTR practice: Results from the 2005 Commission on Dietetic Registration entry-level dietetics practice audit.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 965-971
- Entry-level dietetics practice today: Results from the 2010 Commission on Dietetics Registration dietetics practice audit.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 914-941
- Distinguishing entry-level RD and DTR practice: Results from the 2010 Commission on Dietetic Registration entry-level dietetics practice audit.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1749-1755
- Computer-adaptive testing: A new breed of assessment.J Am Diet Assoc. 1995; 95: 1326-1327
- Perceptions and evaluation of the computerized Registration Examination for Dietitians.J Am Diet Assoc. 2001; 101: 1453-1455
- Dietetics professionals are ethically obligated to maintain personal competence in practice.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 633-635
Gates G, American Dietetic Association Ethics Committee. Background of the Professional Development Portfolio. CDR website. https://www.cdrnet.org/pdp/background-of-the-professional-development-portfolio-project. Accessed October 27, 2016.
- The Professional Development 2001 Portfolio.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 612-614
- ADA leadership in regulatory reform to reengineer credentialing competency standards.J Am Diet Assoc. 1995; 95: 924
- The challenges and rewards of lifelong learning.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1933
- The Essential Practice Competencies for the Commission on Dietetic Registration’s Credentialed Nutrition and Dietetics Practitioners.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 978-984
- Advanced practice nursing education: Challenges and strategies.Nurs Res Pract. 2012; 2012 (Accessed October 3, 2012): 854918
- A critique of the undergraduate nursing preceptorship model.Nurs Res Pract. 2012; 2012 (Accessed October 3, 2012): 248356
Eley SM. The power of preceptorship. J Nurs. http://rn-journal.com/journal-of-nursing/the-power-of-preceptorship. Accessed October 3, 2012.
Preceptors or mentors. Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics website. http://www.eatrightacend.org/ACEND/content.aspx?id=6442464994. Accessed October 1, 2012.
- Preparing preceptors through online education.J Nurses Staff Dev. 2006; 22: 150-156
- Population risk factors and trends in health care and public policy.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: S35-S46
Dietetic technician programs. ACEND web page. http://www.eatrightacend.org/ACEND/content.aspx?id=6442485446. Accessed August 15, 2016.
Registration Eligibility Requirements for Dietetic Technicians: New Pathway III. Commission on Dietetic Registration website. https://www.cdrnet.org/program-director/registration-eligibility-requirements-for-dietetic-technicians-new-pathway-iii. Accessed August 15, 2016.
- The history and development of advanced practice nursing: Lessons for dietetics.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 1007-1012
- Issues and Choices in Clinical Nutrition Practice.Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Bethesda, MD2007: 11
- Characteristics of advanced-level dietetics practice: A model and empirical results.J Am Diet Assoc. 1993; 93: 196-202
- Fellow of the American Dietetic Association credentialing program: Development and implementation of a portfolio-based assessment.J Am Diet Assoc. 1996; 96: 513-517
- Reward, recognition, renumeration: Consider a specialist credential.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 1144
Council on Future Practice. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website. http://www.eatrightpro.org/resource/leadership/volunteering/committees-and-task-forces/council-on-future-practice. Accessed August 15, 2016.
CDR's New Interdisciplinary Certification in Obesity and Weight Management. CDR website. https://www.cdrnet.org/interdisciplinary. Accessed August 15, 2016.
- Fellow of the American Dietetic Association: Come, join us!.J Am Diet Assoc. 2001; 101: 12
- Framework for analyzing supply and demand for specialist and advanced practice registered dietitians.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: S47-S55
- Achieving excellence in dietetics practice: Certification of specialists and advanced-level practitioners.J Am Diet Assoc. 1993; 93: 149-150
Fellows of the American Dietetic Association. CDR website. https://www.cdrnet.org/certifications/fellows-of-the-american-dietetic-association. Accessed August 15, 2016.
Commission on Dietetic Registration. 2005-2007 Levels of Practice Study Executive Summary. CDR website. https://www.cdrnet.org/news/commission-on-dietetic-registration-2005-2007-levels-of-practice-study-executive-summary. Accessed August 15, 2016.
- Developing an advanced practice credential for registered dietitian nutritionists in clinical nutrition practice.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 619-623
- Report from the Advanced-Level Clinical Practice Audit Task Force of the Commission on Dietetic Registration: Results of the 2013 Advanced-Level Clinical Practice Audit.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 624-634
Ogden CL, Carroll MD. NCHS Health E-Stat: Prevalence of overweight, obesity, and extreme obesity among adults: United States, Trends 1960–1962 through 2007–2008. CDC website. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obesity_adult_07_08/obesity_adult_07_08.htm. Accessed August 15, 2016.
Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Kit BK, Flegal KM. Prevalence of obesity in the United States, 2009-2010. NCHS Data Brief No. 82. January 2012. CDC website. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db82.pdf. Accessed October 27, 2016.
- Positioning our members for success.J Am Diet Assoc. 2001; 101: 1129
- 2011 Future Connections Summit on Dietetics Practice, Credentialing, and Education: The summit at a glance.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1584-1589
- Report on the ADA 2002 Dietetics Compensation and Benefits Survey.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 243-255
- Compensation and Benefits Survey 2011: Moderate growth in registered dietitian and dietetic technician, registered, compensation in the past 2 years.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 29-40
- Dietetics supply and demand: 2010-2020.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: S75-S91
This article was written by Karen Stein, MFA, a freelance writer in Traverse City, MI, and consultant editor for the Nutrition Care Manual, and Mickie Rops, MAEd, RD, president and lead consultant, Mickie Rops Consulting LLC, Indianapolis, IN.
Supplementary materials: The CDR Timeline is available online at www.andjrnl.org
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT None to report.