Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
- Vital signs: Sodium intake among U.S. school-aged children, 2009-2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 789-797
- Prevalence of and trends in dyslipidemia and blood pressure among US children and adolescents, 1999-2012.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169: 272-279
- Tracking of blood pressure from childhood to adulthood: A systematic review and meta-regression analysis.Circulation. 2008; 117: 3171-3180
- Meta-analysis of blood pressure tracking from childhood to adulthood and implications for the design of intervention trials.Acta Paediatr. 2010; 99: 24-29
- Effect of lower sodium intake on health: Systematic review and meta-analyses.BMJ. 2013; 346: f1346
Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/. Published February 2015. Accessed June 21, 2016.
- Ontogeny of taste preferences: basic biology and implications for health.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 704S-711S
US Departments of Health and Human Services and Agriculture. 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/. Published December 2015. Accessed June 21, 2016.
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2005
- Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Total diet approach to healthy eating.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 307-317
- Snacks, sweetened beverages, added sugars, and schools.Pediatrics. 2015; 135: 575-583
- 2013 AHA/ACC guideline on lifestyle management to reduce cardiovascular risk: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63: 2960-2984
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. Nutrition standards in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Program: Final rule. 7 CFR Parts 210 and 220. https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-01-26/pdf/2012-1010.pdf. Published January 26, 2012. Accessed June 21, 2016.
Hoeffel EM RS, Kim MO, Shahid H. The Asian population: 2010. http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-11.pdf?cssp=SERP. Published March 2012. Accessed June 21, 2016.
Johnson CL, Dohrmann SM, Burt VL, Mohadjer LK; National Center for Health Statistics. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: Sample design, 2011-2014. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_02/sr02_162.pdf. Published March 2014. Accessed June 21, 2016.
- Relative contributions of dietary sodium sources.J Am Coll Nutr. 1991; 10: 383-393
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. FNDDS documentation and databases. http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=12068. Updated August 20, 2015. Accessed June 21, 2016.
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. What We Eat in America. http://www.ars.usda.gov/News/docs.htm?docid=13793. Updated October 2, 2014. Accessed June 21, 2016.
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. WWEIA food categories. What We Eat in America dietary methods research. http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=23429. Updated May 15, 2015. Accessed June 21, 2016.
- Mean proportion and population proportion: Two answers to the same question?.J Am Diet Assoc. 1989; 89: 671-676
SAS-callable SUDAAN Statistical Software, version 11. Research Triangle Park, NC: RTI International; 2012.
- Modeling dietary patterns to assess sodium recommendations for nutrient adequacy.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 97: 842-847
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. Nutrient intakes: From food and beverages. What We Eat in America data tables, 2011-2012. http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/80400530/pdf/1112/Table_1_NIN_GEN_11.pdf. Updated February 11, 2015. Accessed June 21, 2016.
- Sodium content of popular commercially processed and restaurant foods in the United States.Prev Med Rep. 2015; 2: 962-967
- Nutrient profiles of Korean-Americans, non-Hispanic whites and blacks with and without hypertension in the United States.Asian Nurs Res (Korean Soc Nurs Sci). 2008; 2: 141-149
- What are Asian-American youth consuming? A systematic literature review.J Immigr Minor Health. 2015; 17: 591-604
- Nutrient intake of Korean-American, Korean, and American adolescents.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 242-245
Nwankwo YS, Burt V, Gu Q. Hypertension among adults in the United States: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2011–2012. NCHS data brief, no. 133. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db220.htm. Published October 2013. Accessed June 21, 2016.
- Hypertension in Asian/Pacific Island Americans.J Clin Hypertens. 2009; 11: 148-152
- Clinical characteristics and lifestyle behaviors in a population-based sample of Chinese and South Asian Immigrants with hypertension.Am J Hypertens. 2016; 29: 941-947
US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service. Food-away-from-home. Food consumption & demand. http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-choices-health/food-consumption-demand/food-away-from-home.aspx. Updated October 29, 2014. Accessed June 21, 2016.
- Trends in US home food preparation and consumption: Analysis of national nutrition surveys and time use studies from 1965-1966 to 2007-2008.Nutr J. 2013; 12: e45
- Trends in energy intakes by type of fast food restaurant among US children from 2003 to 2010.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169: 502-504
Wong V. For American restaurant chains, the future is Mexican. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-10-28/for-american-restaurant-chains-the-future-is-mexican. Accessed June 21, 2016.
- Prevalence and characteristics of misreporting of energy intake in US children and adolescents: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2003-2012.Br J Nutr. 2016; 115: 294-304
- Difference between 24-h diet recall and urine excretion for assessing population sodium and potassium intake in adults aged 18-39 y.Am J Clin Nutr. 2015; 101: 376-386
- Pooled results from 5 validation studies of dietary self-report instruments using recovery biomarkers for potassium and sodium intake.Am J Epidemiol. 2015; 181: 473-487
- Sodium sources in the Japanese diet: Difference between generations and sexes.Public Health Nutr. 2016; 19: 2011-2023
- Dietary sources of sodium in China, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States, women and men aged 40 to 59 years: The INTERMAP study.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 736-745
- Sodium Intake in Populations: Assessment of Evidence.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2013
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program: Nutrition standards for all foods sold in school as required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010; interim final rule. 7 CFR Parts 220 and 220. https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013-06-28/pdf/2013-15249.pdf. Published June 28, 2013. Accessed June 21, 2016.
National Restaurant Association. Kids LiveWell Program. Food and healthy living. http://www.restaurant.org/Industry-Impact/Food-Healthy-Living/Kids-LiveWell-Program. Accessed June 21, 2016.
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. National Salt Reduction Initiative. Sodium Initiative webpage. https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/health/health-topics/national-salt-reduction-initiative.page. Accessed June 21, 2016.
US Food and Drug Administration. Draft guidance for industry: Voluntary sodium reduction goals: Target mean and upper bound concentrations for sodium in commercially processed, packaged, and prepared foods. http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/ucm494732.htm. Updated June 10, 2016. Accessed June 21, 2016.
- Commentary on making sense of the science of sodium.Nutr Today. 2015; 50: 66-71
- Dietary sodium and cardiovascular disease risk—Measurement matters.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 580-586
- Dietary recommendations for children and adolescents: A guide for practitioners.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: 544-559
- Position of The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Nutrition guidance for healthy children ages 2 to 11 years.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1257-1276
- Heart disease and stroke statistics—2015 update: A report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2015; 131: e29-e322
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. School Nutrition Dietary Assessment Study-IV. http://www.fns.usda.gov/school-nutrition-dietary-assessment-study-iv. Updated September 5, 2013. Accessed June 21, 2016.
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. Food and Nutrition Service research and evaluation plan—Fiscal year 2012. http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/2012RandE_0.pdf. Published February 9, 2012. Accessed May 1, 2016.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This project was supported by an appointment to the Research Participation Program for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention administered by the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education through an agreement between the Department of Energy and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the US Department of Agriculture.