- Household food security in the United States in 2014.US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2015Accessed April 19, 2016)
- Food insecurity in German households: Qualitative and quantitative data on coping, poverty consumerism and alimentary participation.Soc Policy Soc. 2015; 14: 483-495
Tarasuk V, Mitchell A, Dachner N. Household food insecurity in Canada, 2012. Toronto: Research to Identify Policy Options to Reduce Food Insecurity (PROOF); 2014. http://nutritionalsciences.lamp.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Household_Food_Insecurity_in_Canada-2012_ENG.pdf. Accessed March 5, 2016.
Anderson SA, ed. Core indicators of nutritional state for difficult-to-sample populations. J Nutr. 1990;120(suppl 11):1559-1600.
- Hunger and nutritional poverty in Germany: Quantitative and qualitative empirical insights.Crit Public Health. 2011; 21: 417-428
- Coping strategies and nutrition education needs among food pantry users.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2002; 34: 326-333
- Food insecurity and participation in community food programs among low-income Toronto families.Can J Public Health. 2009; 100: 135-139
- Use of food pantries and food stamps in low-income households in the United States.J Consum Aff. 2005; 39: 276-298
- Public versus private food assistance: Barriers to participation differ by age and ethnicity.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2003; 35: 249-254
- Food banks, welfare, and food insecurity in Canada.Br Food J. 2014; 116: 1405-1417
- Charitable food assistance as symbolic gesture: An ethnographic study of food banks in Ontario.Soc Sci Med 1982. 2003; 56: 1505-1515
- A case study of promoting nutrition and long-term food security through choice pantry development.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2013; 8: 324-336
- Changing the conversation about hunger: The process of developing Freshplace.Prog Community Health Partnersh Res Educ Action. 2012; 6: 429-434
- Food pantry use among low-income households in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.J Nutr Educ. 1998; 30: 50-57
- Food insecurity among Dutch food bank recipients: A cross-sectional study.BMJ Open. 2014; 4: e004657
Weinfield NS, Gregory Mills, Christine Borger, et al. Hunger in America 2014. National Report. Chicago, IL: Feeding America; 2014. http://help.feedingamerica.org/HungerInAmerica/hunger-in-america-2014-full-report.pdf. Accessed March 5, 2016.
Food Banks Canada. Hungercount 2013. Toronto: Food Banks Canada; 2013. http://www.foodbankscanada.ca/FoodBanks/MediaLibrary/HungerCount/HungerCount2013.pdf. Accessed October 6, 2014.
Foodbank Australia. End Hunger Report 2013. Foodbank Australia; 2013. http://www.foodbank.org.au/2013/10/16/not-enough-food-to-feed-our-families-the-2013-end-hunger-report/. Accessed October 7, 2014.
- How is a food bank managed? Different profiles in Spain.Agric Hum Values. 2015; 33: 89-100
- Food banks in the Netherlands.Tijdschr Voor Econ En Soc Geogr. 2014; 105: 370-372
- Half a million people using food banks in UK as food poverty grows.BMJ. 2013; 346: f3578
- Healthy action against poverty: A descriptive analysis of food redistribution charity clients in Berlin, Germany.Eur J Public Health. July 2011;
- A survey of food bank operations in five Canadian cities.BMC Public Health. 2014; 14: 1234
- The Emergency Food Assistance System−Findings from the Provider Survey, Volume II: Final Report.Mathematica Policy Research, Inc., for the Food and Rural Economics Division, Economic Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2002
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: Explanation and elaboration.BMJ. 2009; 339: b2700
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. The Emergency Food Assistance Program. http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/tefap/pfs-tefap.pdf. Accessed July 1, 2016.
European Commission. Free food for the most deprived persons in the EU. Agriculture and Rural Development. http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/most-deprived-persons/index_en.htm. Published February 11, 2014. Accessed October 1, 2014.
- Dilemmas of emergency food: A guide for the perplexed.Agric Hum Values. 1994; 11: 69-76
The World Bank. Country and lending groups. Data. http://data.worldbank.org/about/country-and-lending-groups#High_income. Published October 22, 2013. Accessed October 8, 2014.
Watuleke J. The role of food banks in food security in Uganda: The Case of the Hunger Project Food Bank, Mbale Epicentre. Uppsala: Nordiska Afrikainstitutet; 2015. http://nai.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2%3A782459&dswid=-7854. Accessed July 1, 2016.
Wells G, Shea B, O’Connell D, et al. The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomised studies in meta-analyses. http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.asp. Accessed October 13, 2015.
- Nutritional vulnerability seen within asylum seekers in Australia.J Immigr Minor Health Cent Minor Public Health. 2012; 14: 356-360
- Can food banks sustain nutrient requirements? A case study in Southwestern Ontario.Can J Public Health Rev Can Santé Publique. 2007; 98: 17-20
- Nutritional quality and price of university food bank hampers.Can J Diet Pract Res. 2006; 67: 104-107
- Vitamins A and C, calcium, fruit, and dairy products are limited in food pantries.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 811-813
- Food pantries can provide nutritionally adequate food packets but need help to become effective referral units for public assistance programs.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 1126-1128
- Charitable food assistance: What are food bank users receiving?.Can J Public Health Rev. 1999; 90: 382-384
- An evaluation of emergency food bags.J Can Diet Assoc. 1994; 55: 175-178
- Urban and rural food agencies provide adequate nutrition to the hungry.J Am Diet Assoc. 1991; 91: 1589-1590
- Nutritional quality and price of food hampers distributed by a campus food bank: A Canadian experience.J Health Popul Nutr. 2014; 32: 287-300
- Human Energy Requirements Report of a Joint FAO/WHO/UNU Expert Consultation.Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome, Italy2004
- Dietary behaviour and nutritional status in underprivileged people using food aid (ABENA study, 2004-2005).J Hum Nutr Diet. 2011; 24: 560-571
- Got Milk? Food insecurity in a dairyland community.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2011; 6: 343-352
- Nutrient intake of food bank users is related to frequency of food bank use, household size, smoking, education and country of birth.J Nutr. 1999; 129: 883-889
- Women’s dietary intakes in the context of household food insecurity.J Nutr. 1999; 129: 672-679
- Nutritional status of persons using a local emergency food system program in middle America.J Am Diet Assoc. 1998; 98: 1031-1033
- Food insecurity, poor diet quality, and obesity among food pantry participants in Hartford, CT.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2013; 45: 159-164
Daponte BO, Bade S. The Impact of Welfare Reform on Food Pantry Users in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, 1998. Report to the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank (Duquesne, PA); 1999.
- Food preferences of users of the emergency food system.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2011; 6: 179-187
- Characteristics of short and long-term food pantry users.Mich Sociol Rev. 2012; 26: 58-74
- A novel food pantry program: Food security, self-sufficiency, and diet-quality outcomes.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 569-575
- Community food program use in Inuvik, Northwest Territories.BMC Public Health. 2013; 13: 970
- Household food insecurity and hunger among families using food banks.Can J Public Health Rev. 1999; 90: 109-113
- Sweet charity, revisited: Organizational responses to food insecurity in Hamilton and Toronto, Canada.Crit Soc Policy. 2013; 33: 427-450
- “Every town should have one”: Emergency food banking in the UK.J Soc Policy. 2013; 42: 73-89
- Die Berliner Tafel zwischen Sozialstaatsabbau und neuer Armenfürsorge.in: Stefan Selke Tafeln in Deutschland. Aspekte Einer Sozialen Bewegung Zwischen Nahrungsmittelumverteilung Und Armutsintervention. 2nd ed. VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften, Wiesbaden, Germany2011: 163-178
- Living on the edge: Examination of people attending food pantries and soup kitchens.Soc Work. 2002; 47: 267-277
- Private versus public relief: Use of food pantries versus food stamps among poor households.J Nutr Educ. 2000; 32: 72-83
- Barriers to participation in the food stamp program among food pantry clients in Los Angeles.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 807-809
- The food safety net after welfare reform: Use of private and public food assistance in the Kansas City metropolitan area.Soc Serv Rev. 2004; 78: 267-283
- An explorative cross-sectional study examining self-reported health and nutritional status of disadvantaged people using food banks in Germany.Int J Equity Health. 2015; 14: 141
- The relationship between food banks and household food insecurity among low-income Toronto families.Can Public Policy. 2012; 38: 497-514
- An Evaluation of the “No Soda and No Candy” Donation Policy and Guests’ Food Preferences.University of California at Berkeley, Center for Weight and Health, Berkeley, CA2009
- Improving the Nutritional Quality of Foods Distributed to Lower-Income Families Through Emergency Food Services: A Study of Nutrition-Related Policies and Practices of Food Banks and Food Pantries.Atkins Center for Weight and Health at University of California, Berkeley, CA2012http://cwh.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/primary_pdfs/Improving_the_Nutritional_Quality_of_Foods_Distributed_to_Lower-Income_Families_through_Emergency_Food_Services_6.12_0.pdf(Accessed December 12, 2015)
- A qualitative study of perceived barriers to fruit and vegetable consumption among low-income populations, north Carolina, 2011.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E34
- Attitudes toward fruit and vegetable consumption and farmers’ market usage among low-income North Carolinians.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2012; 7: 64-76
- Sociodemographic factors and attitudes toward food affordability and health are associated with fruit and vegetable consumption in a low-income French population.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 823-830
- Improving the nutritional quality of emergency food: A study of food bank organizational culture, capacity, and practices.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2013; 8: 261-280
- Nutritional quality of emergency foods.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 573-576
- Linear programming can help identify practical solutions to improve the nutritional quality of food aid.Public Health Nutr. 2008; 11
- A qualitative study of nutrition-based initiatives at selected food banks in the feeding America network.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 411-415
- Preparing future registered dietitian nutritionists for working with populations with food insecurity: A new food insecurity/food banking supervised practice concentration piloted with dietetic interns.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 1193-1198
European Federation of Food Banks. European federation of food banks. Members. http://www.eurofoodbank.eu/about-us/members. Published 2014. Accessed November 20, 2015.
Bundesverband Deutsche Tafel e.V. Hintergrundinformation über die Tafeln für Medienvertreterinnen und Medienvertreter. http://www.tafel.de/fileadmin/pdf/Presse/Hintergrundinformationen/Die_Tafeln_Hintergrundinfos_Medien_Jan_2012.pdf. Published 2012. Accessed February 19, 2015.
Angebot in Würde. Karlsruhe, Germany: Diakonie Baden-Württemberg GmbH; 2010.
- Recent trends in the nutritional quality of food banks’ food and beverage inventory: Case studies of six California food banks.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2013; 8: 294-309
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.
PROSPERO Reg. No. CRD42015024509.