Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- A review of associations between family or shared meal frequency and dietary and weight status outcomes across the lifespan.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 2-19
- Is frequency of shared family meals related to the nutritional health of children and adolescents?.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: e1565-e1574
- Family meals can help children reach their 5 A Day: A cross-sectional survey of children’s dietary intake from London primary schools.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2013; 67: 332-338
- Caregiver food behaviours are associated with dietary intakes of children outside the child-care setting.Public Health Nutr. 2013; 16: 1263-1272
- Family meals and adolescents: What have we learned from Project EAT (Eating Among Teens)?.Public Health Nutr. 2010; 13: 1113-1121
- Patterns of family meals and food and nutrition intake in limited resource families.Fam Consum Sci Res J. 2011; 39: 431-441
- Are family meal patterns associated with overall diet quality during the transition from early to middle adolescence?.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2009; 41: 79-86
- Associations between family dinner frequency and specific food behaviors among grade six, seven, and eight students from Ontario and Nova Scotia.J Adolesc Heal. 2009; 44: 431-436
- Family dinner and diet quality among older children and adolescents.Arch Fam Med. 2000; 9: 235
- Family meals during adolescence are associated with higher diet quality and healthful meal patterns during young adulthood.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1502-1510
- What’s for dinner? Types of food served at family dinner differ across parent and family characteristics.Public Health Nutr. 2014; 17: 145-155
- Associations between parental report of the home food environment and adolescent intakes of fruits, vegetables and dairy foods.Public Health Nutr. 2007; 8: 77-85
- Adolescent home food environments and socioeconomic position.Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007; 16: 748-755
- Consumption of vegetables at dinner in a cohort of Norwegian adolescents.Appetite. 2008; 51: 90-96
- Family mealtime interactions and overweight children with asthma: Potential for compounded risks?.J Pediatr Psychol. 2006; 32: 64-68
- Structural and interpersonal characteristics of family meals: Associations with adolescent body mass index and dietary patterns.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 816-822
- Parental eating behaviours, home food environment and adolescent intakes of fruits, vegetables and dairy foods: Longitudinal findings from Project EAT.Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10: 1257-1265
- Evaluation of the Mediterranean Diet Quality Index (KIDMED) in children and adolescents in Southern Spain.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 1408-1412
- The Diet Quality Index-International (DQI-I) provides an effective tool for cross-national comparison of diet quality as illustrated by China and the United States.J Nutr. 2003; 133: 3476-3484
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2010.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 569-580
- Fast food for family meals: Relationships with parent and adolescent food intake, home food availability and weight status.Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10: 16-23
- Characteristics of family mealtimes affecting children’s vegetable consumption and liking.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 269-273
- Childhood obesity and interpersonal dynamics during family meals.Pediatrics. 2014; 134: 923-932
- Methodological Issues in the Direct Observation of Parent−Child interaction: Do observational findings reflect the natural behavior of participants?.Clin Child Family Psychol Rev. 2000; 3: 185-198
- Methods to improve reliability of video-recorded behavioral data.Res Nurs Health. 2009; 32: 465-474
Nutrition Data System for Research (NDSR) [computer program]. Version 2012. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota; 2012.
- Home food environment factors associated with the presence of fruit and vegetables at dinner: A direct observational study.Appetite. 2016; 96: 526-532
- The Healthy Eating Index-2010 is a valid and reliable measure of diet quality according to the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.J Nutr. 2014; 144: 399-407
- A review of the relationship between 100% fruit juice consumption and weight in children and adolescents.Am J Lifestyle Med. 2008; 2: 315-354
US Department of Agriculture. What are empty calories? http://www.choosemyplate.gov/what-are-empty-calories. Accessed September 30, 2015.
US Department of Agriculture. National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/. Accessed February 1, 2014.
US Food and Drug Administration. Sodium in your diet: Using the Nutrition Facts Label to reduce your intake. http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm315393.htm. Accessed October 9, 2015.
National Cancer Institute. HEI tools for researchers. http://epi.grants.cancer.gov/hei/tools.html. Updated August 3, 2015. Accessed April 15, 2014.
- Measurement and standardization protocols for anthropometry used in the construction of a new international growth reference.Food Nutr Bull. 2004; 25: S27-S36
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Growth charts. http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/. Updated September 9, 2010. Accessed June 1, 2014.
US Deparment of Agriculture. Nutrition standards for school meals. http://www.fns.usda.gov/school-meals/nutrition-standards-school-meals. Accessed July 20, 2016.
- Americans do not meet federal dietary recommendations.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 1832-1838
- Comparison of children’s dietary intake patterns with US dietary guidelines.Br J Nutr. 2000; 84: 361-367
- Correlates of fruit and vegetable intakes in US children.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 474-478
- Most Americans eat much less than recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1371-1379
- Increasing caloric contribution from sugar-sweetened beverages and 100% fruit juices among US children and adolescents, 1988-2004.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: e1604-e1614
- Food hardship and child behavior problems among low-income children.Soc Serv Rev. 2005; 79: 511-536
- Bounding the effects of food insecurity on children’s health outcomes.J Health Econ. 2009; 28: 971-983
- Hunger: Its impact on children’s health and mental health.October. 2002; 110: 1-9
- Social desirability bias in dietary self-report may compromise the validity of dietary intake measures.Int J Epidemiol. 1995; 24: 389-398
- Issues in dietary intake assessment of children and adolescents.Br J Nutr. 2004; 92: S213
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Research is supported by grant number R21DK091619 from the National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Disease (Principal Investigator: Jerica M. Berge). Content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development or the National Institutes of Health.