Participants and setting
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Position of the American Dietetic Association. Food and nutrition professionals can implement practices to conserve natural resources and support ecological sustainability.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1033-1043
Tagtow A, Harmon AH. Healthy land, healthy food & healthy eaters: Dietitians cultivating sustainable food systems. http://scholarworks.montana.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1/3029/HillerHarmon_HLHFHE_2009.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y. Accessed January 25, 2016.
- Civic dietetics: Opportunities for integrating civic agriculture concepts into dietetic practice.Agric Human Values. 2009; 26: 57-66
- Beyond eating right: The emergence of civic dietetics to foster health and sustainability through food system change.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2010; 5: 2-12
Hunger and Environmental Nutrition: A dietetic practice group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Who we are. http://www.hendpg.org/. Accessed January 25, 2016.
Journal of Hunger & Environmental Nutrition list of issues. http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/when20#.VqZgzoUrKxo. Accessed January 25, 2016.
US Code, Title 7, Chapter 64—Agricultural research, extension and teaching, subchapter I: Findings, purposes, and definitions. https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title7/html/USCODE-2011-title7-chap64-subchapI-sec3103.htm. Published August 23, 2007. Accessed January 5, 2016.
- Position of The American Dietetic Association: Food insecurity in the United States.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1368-1377
- Psychosocial and demographic variables associated with consumer intention to purchase sustainably produced foods as defined by the Midwest Food Alliance.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2002; 34: 316-325
- Promotion of sustainably produced foods: Customer response in Minnesota grocery stores.Am J Alternative Agric. 2002; 17: 96-104
- Associations between self-reported health conscious consumerism, body-mass index, and attitudes about sustainably produced foods.Agric Human Values. 2003; 20: 177-187
- Integrating issues of sustainably produced foods into nutrition practice: A survey of Minnesota Dietetic Association members.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 608-611
- A survey of registered dietitians’ concern and actions regarding climate change in the United States.Front Nutr. 2015; 2: 1-8
- A qualitative study of how registered dietitians made the connection between diet, climate change, and environmental degradation.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2015; 10: 47-59
- The Theory of Planned Behavior.Organ Behav Human Decis Process. 1991; 50: 179-211
REDCap Research Electronic Data 82 Capture version 5.6.1. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University; 2009.
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—A metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Adolescents' perspectives and food choice behaviors in terms of the environmental impacts of food production practices: Application of a psychosocial model.J Nutr Educ. 2001; 33: 72-82
- Registered dietitian's personal beliefs and characteristics predict their teaching or intention to teach fresh vegetable food safety.Appetite. 2011; 56: 469-475
- Applying the theory of planned behavior to healthy eating behaviors in urban Native American youth.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2006; 3: 11-20
- Understanding gardening and dietary habits among youth garden program participants using the Theory of Planned Behavior.Appetite. 2007; 49: 122-130
- Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests.Psychometrika. 1951; 16: 297-334
Statistical Package for the Social for Windows version 21.0. Armonk, NY: IBM-SPSS Inc; 2012.
Commission on Dietetic Registration. Registered dietitian demographics. https://www.cdrnet.org/certifications/registered-dietitians-demographics. Updated December 1, 2013. Accessed December 28, 2015.
- An investigation of the ways in which public health nutrition policy and practices can address climate change.Public Health Nutr. 2010; 13: 304-313
- Sustainable diets for the future: Can we contribute to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by eating a healthy diet?.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 96: 632-639
- The relative greenhouse gas impacts of realistic dietary choices.Energy Policy. 2012; 43: 184-190
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Standards of professional performance for Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (competent, proficient, and expert) in sustainable, resilient, and healthy food and water systems.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 475-588
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Funding for this project was received from the Minnesota Institute of Sustainable Agriculture and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Questioning the Definition of Sustainable AgricultureJournal of the Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsVol. 117Issue 11
- PreviewI wanted to respond, on behalf of the National Pork Board, to the Original Research: Brief published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ February 2017 issue titled, “Registered Dietitian Nutritionists’ Perspectives on Integrating Food and Water System Issues into Professional Practice,” by Heidelberger and colleagues.1 As a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) who supports America’s livestock farmers, I was concerned about some of the assertions about meat and agriculture throughout the research brief and discussion.