Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Food environment in secondary schools: À la carte, vending machines, and food policies and practices.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 1161-1168
- Sweet and salty. An assessment of the snacks and beverages sold in vending machines on US post-secondary institution campuses.Appetite. 2012; 58: 1143-1151
- Snacks, beverages, vending machines, and school stores: A comparison of alternative and regular schools in Minnesota, 2002 to 2008.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 101-105
- Vending machine assessment methodology. A systematic review.Appetite. 2015; 90: 176-186
- Eating Disorders and Obesity: A Comprehensive Handbook.Guilford Press, New York, NY2002
- Eating disorders, obesity and addiction.Eur Eat Disorders Rev. 2010; 18: 341-351
- Trends in snacking among U.S. children.Health Aff. 2010; 29: 398-404
- The increasing prevalence of snacking among US children from 1977 to 1996.J Pediatr. 2001; 138: 493-498
- Does hunger and satiety drive eating anymore? Increasing eating occasions and decreasing time between eating occasions in the United States.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 91: 1342-1347
- Selected eating behaviours and excess body weight: A systematic review.Obes Rev. 2012; 13: 106-135
- Extra calories cause weight gain—But how much?.JAMA. 2010; 303: 65-66
- State but not district nutrition policies are associated with less junk food in vending machines and school stores in US public schools.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1043-1048
Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ296/pdf/PLAW-111publ296.pdf. Published December 13, 2010. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- Vending assessment and program implementation in four Iowa worksites.Health Promot Pract. 2015; 16: 814-825
- The vending and à la carte policy intervention in Maine public high schools.Prev Chronic Dis. 2005; (2 Spec no:A14)
- Implementation of low-fat, low-sugar, and portion-controlled nutrition guidelines in competitive food venues of Maine public high schools.J Sch Health. 2007; 77: 687-693
- Impact of the HEALTHY study on vending machine offerings in middle schools.J Child Nutr Manag. 2011; 35
- Nutrition policy decreases sugar-sweetened beverages in municipal parks: Lessons learned from Carson, California.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016; 22: 392-394
- A public school district’s vending machine policy and changes over a 4-year period: Implementation of a national wellness policy.Public Health. 2012; 126: 335-337
- Nutrition interventions at point-of-sale to encourage healthier food purchasing: A systematic review.BMC Public Health. 2014; 14: 919
- Working with community partners to implement and evaluate the Chicago park district’s 100% healthier snack vending initiative.Prev Chronic Dis. 2014; 11: E135
- Lessons learned from a healthful vending pilot program in Delaware state agency buildings, 2011-2012.Prev Chronic Dis. 2014; 11: E143
- A pricing strategy to promote low-fat snack choices through vending machines.Am J Public Health. 1997; 87: 849-851
- Effects of energy-content labels and motivational posters on sales of sugar-sweetened beverages: Stimulating Sales of Diet Drinks Among Adults study.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1866-1869
- Pricing and availability intervention in vending machines at four bus garages.J Occup Environ Med. 2010; 52: S29-S33
- The effects of a nutrition education intervention on vending machine sales on a university campus.J Am Coll Health. 2014; 62: 512-516
- Pricing and promotion effects on low-fat vending snack purchases: The CHIPS Study.Am J Public Health. 2001; 91: 112-117
- Managing sales of beverages in schools to preserve profits and improve children’s nutrition intake in 15 Mississippi schools.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 2036-2042
- Effects of promotional materials on vending sales of low-fat items in teachers’ lounges.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 90-93
- Does providing nutrition information at vending machines reduce calories per item sold?.J Public Health Pol. 2015; 36: 110-122
Nemours Health and Prevention Services. Healthy vending guide. http://www.nemours.org/content/dam/nemours/www/filebox/service/preventive/nhps/resource/healthyvending.pdf. Published August 2010. Accessed June 15, 2016.
- A pricing strategy to promote sales of lower fat foods in high school cafeterias: Acceptability and sensitivity analysis.Am J Health Promot. 2002; 17 (ii): 1-6
- Effects of a nutrition education program for urban, low-income, older adults: A collaborative program among nurses and nursing students.J Community Health Nurs. 2005; 22: 93-104
- Piloting “sodabriety”: A school-based intervention to impact sugar-sweetened beverage consumption in rural Appalachian high schools.J Sch Health. 2014; 84: 177-184
- Nutrition knowledge, gender, and food label use.J Consum Aff. 2000; 34: 97-112
- Understanding food choice in adult men: Influence of nutrition knowledge, food beliefs and dietary restraint.Food Qual Prefer. 1997; 8: 307-317
- The association between nutrition knowledge and eating behavior in male and female adolescents in the US.Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2001; 52: 127-132
- Shaping perceptions to motivate healthy behavior: The role of message framing.Psychol Bull. 1997; 121: 3-19
- Examining the influence of self-efficacy on message-framing effects: Reducing salt consumption in the general population.Basic Appl Soc Psych. 2010; 32: 165-172
- Framing of nutrition education messages in persuading consumers of the advantages of a healthy diet.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2001; 14: 435-442
- Health message framing effects on attitudes, intentions, and behavior: A meta-analytic review.Ann Behav Med. 2012; 43: 101-116
- Nuts improve diet quality compared to other energy-dense snacks while maintaining body weight.J Nutr Metab. 2011; 2011: 357350
- Small changes in snacking behaviour: The potential impact on CVD mortality.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 871-876
- Campus-based snack food vending consumption.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 401-405
- Factors influencing lunchtime food choices among working Americans.Health Educ Behav. 2009; 36: 289-301
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Health Statistics. Obesity and overweight. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm. Revised April 2016. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011-2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 806-814
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Childhood obesity facts. http://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/obesity/facts.htm. Revised August 2015. Accessed June 17, 2016.
- The medical complications of obesity.QJM. 2006; 99: 565-579
- Obesity and risk of colorectal cancer: A meta-analysis of 31 studies with 70,000 events.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007; 16: 2533-2547
- Abdominal obesity and the risk of all-cause, cardiovascular, and cancer mortality sixteen years of follow-up in US women.Circulation. 2008; 117: 1658-1667
- Obesity-induced hypertension: Role of sympathetic nervous system, leptin, and melanocortins.J Biol Chem. 2010; 285: 17271-17276
- Improving patrons’ meal selections through the use of point-of-selection nutrition labels.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: 2001-2005
- Calorie labeling and food choices: A first look at the effects on low-income people in New York City.Health Aff. 2009; 28: w1110-w1121
- Changes in energy content of lunchtime purchases from fast food restaurants after introduction of calorie labelling: Cross sectional customer surveys.BMJ. 2011; 343: d4464
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.