Main outcome measures
Statistical analysis performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Emerging adulthood and college-aged youth: An overlooked age for weight-related behavior change.Obesity. 2008; 16: 2205-2211
- The 'freshman 5': A meta-analysis of weight gain in the freshman year of college.J Am Coll Health. 2009; 58: 161-166
- Changes in weight and health behaviors from freshman through senior year of college.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2008; 40: 39-42
- Correlates of nutrition label use among college students and young adults: A review.Public Health Nutr. 2015;Nov 9; : 1-14
- Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness.Yale University Press, New Haven, CT2008
- Looking at the label and beyond: The effects of calorie labels, health consciousness, and demographics on caloric intake in restaurants.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2013; 10: 21
- The use of nutritional labels by college students in a food-court setting.J Am Coll Health. 2008; 57: 297-302
- Use of food labels and beliefs about diet–disease relationships among university students.Public Health Nutr. 2000; 3: 175-182
- Association of self-reported sleep duration with eating behaviors of American adults: NHANES 2005-2010.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 100: 938-947
- Physical activity, food intake, and body weight regulation: Insights from doubly labeled water studies.Nutr Rev. 2010; 68: 148-154
- Nutrition label use partially mediates the relationship between attitude toward healthy eating and overall dietary quality among college students.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 414-418
- Consumers may not use or understand calorie labeling in restaurants.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 917-920
- Daily self-monitoring of body weight, step count, fruit/vegetable intake and water consumption: A feasible and effective long-term weight loss maintenance approach.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 685-692.e2
- Anticipation of a psychosocial stressor differentially influences ghrelin, cortisol and food intake among emotional and non-emotional eaters.Appetite. 2014; 74: 35-43
- Health literacy, self-efficacy, food label use, and diet in young adults.Am J Health Behav. 2014; 38: 331-339
- Knowledge, attitudes, and label use among college students.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 2130-2134
- Using nutrition labeling as a potential tool for changing eating habits of university dining hall patrons.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 2071-2076
- Knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of college students regarding the 1990 Nutrition Labeling Education Act food labels.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 445-449
- Determinants of nutrition label use among college students.Am J Health Educ. 2007; 38: 76-82
- College students’ perceptions and behaviors toward calorie counts on menus.J Foodservice Bus Res. 2014; 17: 56-65
- Use of trans fat information on food labels and its determinants in a multiethnic college student population.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2010; 42: 307-314
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. College health and safety. 2015. http://www.cdc.gov/family/college/. Accessed March 14, 2016.
SAS Statistical Software [computer program]. Version 9.4. Cary, NC; 2013.
- Obtaining data on patient race, ethnicity, and primary language in health care organizations: Current challenges and proposed solutions.Health Serv Res. 2006; 41: 1501-1518
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Division of Management Information. UIUC student enrollment: On-campus fall 2014 statistical abstract of ten-day enrollment 2014. 2014. http://www.dmi.illinois.edu/stuenr/abstracts/FA14_ten.htm. Accessed March 14, 2016.
Taylor-Powell E. Questionnaire design: Asking questions with a purpose. 1998. http://grow.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Questionaire-Design-Asking-Questions.pdf. Accessed October 26, 2015.
- Changes in awareness and use of calorie information after mandatory menu labeling in restaurants in King County.Washington. Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: 546-553
- An examination of sex differences in relation to the eating habits and nutrient intakes of university students.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012; 44: 246-250
- The impact of nutrition labeling on menus: A naturalistic cohort study.Am J Health Behav. 2015; 39: 540-548
- A survey of undergraduate student perceptions and use of nutrition information labels in a university dining hall.Health Educ J. 2013; 72: 319-325
- “Information load” and consumers.J Consum Res. 1977; 4: 148-155
- College students' use of point of selection nutrition information.Top Clin Nutr. 2005; 20: 97-108
- Nutrition label use mediates the positive relationship between nutrition knowledge and attitudes towards healthy eating with dietary quality among university students in the UK.Appetite. 2014; 83: 297-303
- The influence of menu labeling on calories selected or consumed: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1375-1388.e15
- Impact of food labelling systems on food choices and eating behaviours: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized studies.Obesity Rev. 2016; 17: 201-210
- Potential benefits of calorie labeling in restaurants.JAMA. 2014; 312: 887-888
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This research was supported by US Department of Agriculture National Institute of Food and Agriculture grant no. ILLU-470-356 and the Agriculture and Food Research Initiative of the US Department of Agriculture National Institute of Food and Agriculture as part of the Agriculture and Food Research Initiative Childhood Obesity Prevention Challenge (grant no. 2011-67001-30101) to the Division of Nutritional Sciences at the University of Illinois (funding began on February 1, 2011).