Editor’s Note: This article is part of a series from the Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors group on emerging topics of interest in dietetics education.Advances in communication technologies allow for parallel advances in knowledge acquisition. Familiarization with varied, cutting-edge active learning techniques, such as timelining, helps students in their future professions and educational endeavors.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Backchanneling, Communication Apprehension, and Student Engagement in Discussion-based High School Classes.([dissertation]) Illinois State University, Normal, IL2011
- Wankel C. Blessinger P. Cutting-Edge Technologies in Higher Education: Increasing Student Engagement and Retention Using Classroom Technologies: Classroom Response Systems and Mediated Discourse Technologies. Emerald Insight, Bingley, UK2013
- Timelining: Visualizing experience.Qual Res. 2011; 11: 552-569
- Enhancing inquiry-based online teaching and learning: Integrating interactive technology tools to scaffold inquiry-based learning.in: Blessinger P. Carfora J.M. Inquiry-Based Learning for Multidisciplinary Programs: A Conceptual and Practical Resource for Educators. Emerald Group Publishing Limited, Wagon Lane, UK2015: 321-335
- Designing multimedia case-based instruction accommodating students' diverse learning styles.J Educ Multimed Hypermedia. 2008; 17: 5-25
Pappas C. Top 10 free timeline creation tools for teachers. http://elearningindustry.com/top-10-free-timeline-creation-tools-for-teachers. Published November 4, 2013. Accessed February 29, 2016.
- The use of timelines in dementia care.Nurs Older People. 2004; 15: 18-20
- Linking teaching methods and assessment to the developmental needs of family science students.Fam Sci Rev. 2013; 18: 117-133
- Can virtual environments enhance the learning of historical chronology?.Instr Sci. 2008; 36: 155-173
- Presenting patient data in the electronic care record: The role of timelines.JRSM Short Rep. 2010; 1: 29
- Simultaneous trend analysis for evaluating outcomes in patient-centred health monitoring services.Health Care Manag Sci. 2008; 11: 152-166
- The reliability of a timeline method for assessing normal drinker college students' recent drinking history: Utility for alcohol research.Addict Behav. 1986; 11: 149-161
- Using interactive voice response technology and timeline follow-back methodology in studying binge eating and drinking behavior.Addict Behav. 2000; 25: 1-11
- Influences on patients’ ratings of physicians: Physicians demographics and personality.Patient Educ Couns. 2007; 65: 270-274
Reymond R. Timeline assignment: Do you Tiki Toki? http://arthistoryteachingresources.org/2013/08/timeline-assignment-do-you-tiki-toki/#comment-108. Published August 9, 2013. Accessed February 29, 2016.
This article was written by Emily K. Plaine, MFN, RDN, LD, a Women, Infants and Children dietitian, Neighborhood Health Association, Toledo, OH; at the time of the study, she was a master's degree student, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH; Carrie M. Hamady, MS, RDN, LD, lecturer and director, Undergraduate Didactic Program in Nutrition and Dietetics, and Mary-Jon Ludy, PhD, RDN, FAND, assistant professor of clinical nutrition, College of Health & Human Services, both at Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was supported by Family and Consumer Sciences Graduate Student Research Support at Bowling Green State University.