Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 491-497
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC guide to strategies for reducing the consumption of energy dense foods. http://www.cdph.ca.gov/SiteCollectionDocuments/Strats4ConsumptionofEnergyDenseFoods.pdf. Published March 2010. Accessed March 5, 2016.
Fryar CD, Ervin RB. National Center for Health Statistics data brief no 114. Caloric intake from fast food among adults: United States 2007-2010. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db114.pdf. Published February 2013. Accessed March 5, 2016.
- Fast food restaurant use among women in the Pound of Prevention study: Dietary, behavioral and demographic correlates.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000; 24: 1353-1359
- The effect of eating out on quality of diet in premenopausal women.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 442-444
- Frequency of consumption at fast-food restaurants is associated with dietary intake in overweight and obese women recruited from financially disadvantaged neighborhoods.Nutr Res. 2013; 33: 636-646
- Eating at fast-food restaurants is associated with dietary intake, demographic, psychosocial and behavioural factors among African Americans in North Carolina.Public Health Nutr. 2004; 7: 1089-1096
- Fast-food habits, weight gain, and insulin resistance (the CARDIA study): 15-year prospective analysis.Lancet. 2005; 365: 36-42
Fast casual is only restaurant segment to see traffic growth in 2013, reports NPD. https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/fast-casual-is-only-restaurant-segment-to-see-traffic-growth-in-2013-reports-npd/. Published February 5, 2014. Accessed March 5, 2016.
Fast casual fuels Technomic Top 500 growth once again. https://www.technomic.com/Pressroom/Releases/dynRelease_Detail.php?rUID=362. Published April 28, 2015. Accessed March 8, 2016.
Roberto F. The Chipotle effect: Why America is obsessed with fast casual food. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/02/02/the-chipotle-effect-why-america-is-obsessed-with-fast-casual-food/. Published February 2, 2015. Accessed March 1, 2016.
Five consumer trends shaping the future of the food and foodservice industries. https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/2015/five-consumer-trends-shaping-the-future-of-the-food-and-foodservice-industries/. Published May 7, 2015. Accessed March 1, 2016.
Food with integrity. https://www.chipotle.com/food-with-integrity. Published 2015. Accessed March 1, 2016.
Panera Bread’s food policy statement. https://www.panerabread.com/content/dam/panerabread/documents/nutrition/panera-bread-food-policy.pdf. Published June 3, 2014. Accessed March 1, 2016.
General Electric Company. Category segments. http://gerestaurantreview.com/category-segments/. Published 2015. Accessed March 8, 2016.
- What's on the menu? A review of the energy and nutritional content of US chain restaurant menus.Public Health Nutr. 2013; 16: 87-96
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Menustat methods. http://menustat.org/methods-for-researchers/. Published 2015. Accessed March 1, 2016.
Code of Federal Regulations. Title 45, Public Welfare, Department of Health and Human Services, Part 46: Protection of Human Subjects; 2009. http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/humansubjects/guidance/45cfr46.html#46.101. Accessed March 5, 2016.
- Salad and raw vegetable consumption and nutritional status in the adult US population: Results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1394-1404
Ranch number one dressing flavor shipped to u.s. foodservice outlets, Reports SupplyTrack. https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/ranch-number-one-dressing-flavor-shipped-to-us-foodservice-outlets-reports-supplytrack/. Published April 1, 2014. Accessed March 5, 2016.
- Calorie changes in chain restaurant menu items: Implications for obesity and evaluations of menu labeling.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 48: 70-75
- Calorie changes in large chain restaurants: Declines in New menu items but room for improvement.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 50: e1-e8
- Fast food restaurant use among adolescents: Associations with nutrient intake, food choices and behavioral and psychosocial variables.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001; 25: 1823-1833
- Fruit, vegetable, and fat intake among non-Hispanic black and non-Hispanic white adolescents: Associations with home availability and food consumption settings.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2006; 106: 367-373
- Food purchased away from home as a predictor of change in BMI z-score among girls.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004; 28: 282-289
- The association of fast food consumption with poor dietary outcomes and obesity among children: Is it the fast food or the remainder of the diet?.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 162-171
- New menu labeling requirements: Academy advocacy expands opportunities.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 707-708
Federal Drug Administration. Overview of FDA labeling requirements for restaurants, similar retail food establishments and vending machines. http://www.fda.gov/food/ingredientspackaginglabeling/labelingnutrition/ucm248732.htm. Published July 9, 2015. Revised July 9, 2015. Accessed March 8, 2016.
- Changes in energy content of lunchtime purchases from fast food restaurants after introduction of calorie labelling: Cross sectional customer surveys.BMJ. 2011; 343: d4464
- Use of calorie information at fast-food and chain restaurants among US Adults, 2009.J Public Health (Oxf). 2014; 36: 490-496
- Menu labeling regulations and calories purchased at chain restaurants.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: 595-604
- The influence of menu labeling on calories selected or consumed: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Diet Assoc. 2014; 114: 1375-1388
- What people buy from fast-food restaurants: Caloric content and menu item selection, New York City 2007.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009; 17: 1369-1374
- Fast-food menu offerings vary in dietary quality, but are consistently poor.Public Health Nutr. 2014; 17: 924-931
- Fast food consumption and increased caloric intake: A systematic review of a trajectory towards weight gain and obesity risk.Obes Rev. 2008; 9: 535-547
- Changes in children's meal orders following healthy menu modifications at a regional U.S. restaurant chain.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015; 23: 1055-1062
- Slim by design: Menu strategies for promoting high-margin, healthy foods.Int J Hosp Manag. 2014; 42: 137-143
About: The Little Beet. https://www.thelittlebeet.com/about/. Accessed March 5, 2016.
Our Story: Sweetgreen. http://sweetgreen.com/our-story/. Accessed March 5, 2016.
The QSR 50: The top 50 brands in quick service and fast casual. https://www.qsrmagazine.com/reports/qsr50-2015-top-50-chart. August 2015. Accessed March 5, 2016.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.