Main outcome measures
Statistical analysis performed
- Global, regional, and national prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980–2013: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.Lancet. 2014; 384: 766-781
- Food Availability (Per Capita) Data System. Vol. 2014.US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2014
- Health, United States, 2010: With Special Feature on Death and Dying.Vol. 2015. National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD2011
- What's on the menu? A review of the energy and nutritional content of US chain restaurant menus.Public Health Nutr. 2013; 16: 87-96
- Sodium, saturated fat, and trans fat content per 1,000 kilocalories: Temporal trends in fast-food restaurants, United States, 2000-2013.Prev Chronic Dis. 2014; 11: E228
Stewart H, Blisard N, Jolliffe D. Let's eat out: Americans Weigh Taste, Convenience, and Nutrition. http://www.ers.usda.gov/media/860870/eib19.pdf. Accessed December 2, 2015.
- Dietary energy density and weight regulation.Nutr Rev. 2001; 59: 247-257
- Dietary variety within food groups: Association with energy intake and body fatness in adult men and women.Am J Clin Nutr. 1999; 69: 440-447
- Eating out of home and its association with dietary intake: A systematic review of the evidence.Obes Rev. 2012; 13: 329-346
- Epidemic obesity in the United States: Are fast foods and television viewing contributing?.Am J Public Health. 1998; 88: 277-280
- Differential associations of fast food and restaurant food consumption with 3-y change in body mass index: The Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults Study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 85: 201-208
- Fast food consumption and increased caloric intake: A systematic review of a trajectory towards weight gain and obesity risk.Obes Rev. 2008; 9: 535-547
- The contribution of expanding portion sizes to the US obesity epidemic.Am J Public Health. 2002; 92: 246-249
- Portion size and obesity.Adv Nutr. 2014; 5: 829-834
- Compensation for energy intake from fast food among overweight and lean adolescents.JAMA. 2004; 291: 2828-2833
- Restaurant menu labelling: Is it worth adding sodium to the label?.Can J Public Health. 2014; 105: e354-361
- Chefs' opinions of restaurant portion sizes.Obesity. 2007; 15: 2086-2094
- Nutritional value of meals at full-service restaurant chains.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 75-81
- The energy content of restaurant foods without stated calorie information.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 1292-1299
referenceUSA website. www.referenceusa.com. Accessed May 11, 2015.
2008 R&I Top 400 chain restaurants restaurants & institutions. https://www.rolypoly.com/news/articles/R&I%202009%20Top%20400%20Restaurant%20Chains.pdf. 2008. Accessed May 11, 2015.
Technomic Information Services. Dinner & Late Night Dining Consumer Trend Report. 2014. https://www.technomic.com/ACCESS_Infographic_Archive/files/Dinner_Late_Night_Dining.pdf. Accessed January 4, 2016.
- The accuracy of stated energy contents of reduced-energy, commercially prepared foods.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 116-123
Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes tables and application. 2010. http://www.iom.edu/Activities/Nutrition/SummaryDRIs/DRI-Tables.aspx. Accessed May 11, 2015.
- Temporal trends in energy intake in the United States: An ecologic perspective.Am J Clin Nutr. 2000; 71: 1478-1484
- Overview of FDA Labeling Requirements for Restaurants, Similar Retail Food Establishments and Vending Machines.Vol. 2014. US Food and Drug Administration, Silver Spring, MD2014
- Association of out-of-home eating with anthropometric changes: A systematic review of prospective studies.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2014; 54: 1103-1116
- Hunter-gatherer energetics and human obesity.PloS One. 2012; 7: 25
- Contributions of the doubly labeled water method to studies of energy balance in the Third World.Am J Clin Nutr. 1998; 68: 962S-969S
- Meal and snack patterns are associated with dietary intake of energy and nutrients in US adults.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 46-53
What we eat in America. http://www.ars.usda.gov/News/docs.htm?docid=13793. 2014. Accessed May 11, 2015.
- Restaurant meals: Almost a full day's worth of calories, fats, and sodium.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 1373-1374
- Successful weight loss among obese U.S. adults.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 42: 481-485
- Behavioral treatment of obesity.Med Clin North Am. 2000; 84: 441-461
- Potential benefits of calorie labeling in restaurants.JAMA. 2014; 312: 887-888
- The influence of menu labeling on calories selected or consumed: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1375-1388
- The influence of calorie labeling on food orders and consumption: A review of the literature.J Community Health. 2014; 39: 1248-1269
- A randomized trial of calorie labeling on menus.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 57: 860-866
- Disclosure: Psychology changes everything.Annu Rev Econom. 2014; 6: 391-419
- Food reward, hyperphagia, and obesity.Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2011; 300: 16
- Activation in brain energy regulation and reward centers by food cues varies with choice of visual stimulus.Int J Obes. 2009; 33: 653-661
- Consumers' estimation of calorie content at fast food restaurants: Cross sectional observational study.BMJ. 2013; 346: f2907
- The effects of farm commodity and retail food policies on obesity and economic welfare in the United States.Am J Agric Econ. 2012; 94: 611-646
- Mitigating the health risks of dining out: The need for standardized portion sizes in restaurants.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: 586-590
- Zoning for health? The year-old ban on new fast-food restaurants in South LA: The ordinance isn’t a promising approach to attacking obesity.Health Aff (Millwood). 2009; 28: w1088-w1097
- Pre-ordering lunch at work. Results of the what to eat for lunch study.Appetite. 2015; 84: 88-97
- Preordering school lunch encourages better food choices by children.JAMA Pediatr. 2013; 167: 673-674
- A community-based restaurant initiative to increase availability of healthy menu options in Somerville, Massachusetts: Shape Up Somerville.Prev Chronic Dis. 2009; 6: A102
Alcoholic Beverage Control Act, Chapter 210: Mixed Beverage Licenses, as amended April 4, 2014. Code of Virginia.
- Minimum unit pricing for alcohol.BMJ. 2014; 349: g5617
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Supported by the USDA under agreement nos. 58-1950-0-0014 and 1950-51000-072-02S with Tufts University. Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the USDA. This research was supported, in part, with funding from the Arkansas Children’s Hospital Research Institute and in part by National Institutes of Health grant no. DK00776 .