Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- The co-occurrence of obesity, elevated blood presure and acanthosis nigricans among American Indian school-children: Identifying individual hertiage and environment-level correlates.Am J Hum Biol. 2011; 23: 346-352
- Preventing diabetes and obesity in American Indian communities: The potential of environmental interventions.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 93: 1179S-1183S
- Tools for Healthy Tribes: Improving access to healthy foods in Indian Country.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: S123-S129
- Healthy, Native North Carolinians. Healthy, Native North Carolinians: Advancing Native Health Through Community Changes, Capacity Building and Collaborations. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC2013Accessed June 11, 2015)
- Community-responsive interventions to reduce cardiovascular risk in American Indians.J Primary Prevent. 2012; 33: 153-159
- Bright Start: Description and main outcomes from a group-randomized obesity prevention trial in American Indian children.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2012; 20: 2241-2249
- Promising strategies for obesity prevention and treatment within American Indian communities.J Transcult Nurs. 2006; 17: 224
National Congress of American Indians Policy Research Center. Tribal Public Health Law. http://www.ncai.org/policy-research-center/initiatives/projects/tribal-public-health-law. Accessed August 7, 2015.
Alliance for a Just Society and Council of Athabascan Tribal Governments. Survival Denied: Stories from Alaska Native Families Living in a Broken System. 2013. http://allianceforajustsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Survival-Denied2.pdf. Accessed June 11, 2015.
Dine′ Policy Institute. Dine′ Food Sovereignty: A Report on the Navajo Nation Food System and the Case to Rebuild a Self-Sufficient Food System for the Dine′ People. April 2014. http://www.dinecollege.edu/institutes/DPI/Docs/dpi-food-sovereignty-report.pdf. Accessed June 11, 2015.
The Harvard Law School Food Law and Policy Clinic in Partnership with the Community Outreach and Patient Empowerment and the Navajo Nation. Good Laws, Good Food: Putting Food Policy to Work in the Navajo Nation. http://www.chlpi.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Navajo-Food-Policy-Toolkit-May-2015.pdf. Accessed June 9, 2015.
- Addressing Child Hunger and Obesity in Indian Country: Report to Congress. Final Report.United States Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2012Accessed June 12, 2015)
- Teeth and heavyset kids: Intervention similarities between childhood obesity and oral health interventions within Native American societies.J Indigenous Res. 2014; 3: 1-22
- Low recognition of childhood overweight and disease risk among Native-American caregivers.Obes Res. 2005; 13: 146-152
- Nutrition beliefs and weight loss practices of Lakota Indian adults.J Nutr Educ. 1999; 31: 10-15
- Weight-loss practices, nutrition beliefs, and weight-loss program preferences or urban American Indian women.J Am Diet Assoc. 2000; 100: 442-446
US Constitution. Art. 1, §8.
- Food access and cost in American Indian communities in Washington State.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1375-1379
- Measuring access to healthful, affordable food in American Indian and Alaska Native Tribal areas. US Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service Economic Information Bulletin Number 131.US Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service, Washington, DCDecember 2014Accessed June 11, 2015)
- Feeding Ourselves: Food Access, Health Disparities, and The Pathways to Healthy Native American Communities.Echo Hawk Consulting, Longmont, CO2015: 10 (12)Accessed August 11, 2015)
- Formative research and stakeholder participation in intervention development.Am J Health Behav. 2005; 29: 57-69
- A food store-based environmental intervention is associated with reduced BMI and improved psychosocial factors and food-related behaviors on the Navajo Nation.J Nutr. 2013; 143: 1494-1500
US Department of Agriculture Supplemental Nutrition Education Assistance Program-Education (SNAP-Ed). SNAP-Ed Connection. Home. http://snap.nal.usda.gov/. Accessed August 11, 2015.
US Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service. Team Nutrition. http://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/team-nutrition. Accessed August 11, 2015.
US Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations. About FDPIR. http://www.fns.usda.gov/fdpir/about-fdpir. Accessed August 11, 2015.
- Developing an agenda for research about policies to improve access to healthy foods in rural communities: A concept mapping study.BMC Public Health. 2014; 14: 592
US Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service. Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma Joins USDA Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program. Release No. 0227.15. Posted August 7, 2015. http://www.fns.usda.gov/pressrelease/2015/022715. Accessed August 11, 2015.
- Impact of the Pathways intervention on dietary intakes of American Indian schoolchildren.Prev Med. 2003; 37: S55-S61
Alliance for a Healthier Generation. Seeking Balance & Health in the Navajo Nation. https://www.healthiergeneration.org/_asset/y3m7bn/Navajo-Nation-Stories.pdf. Accessed June 12, 2015.
- CHILE: An evidence-based preschool intervention for obesity prevention in Head Start.J Sch Health. 2013; 83: 223-229
US Department of Health and Human Services Head Start Program Child Nutrition. 45 CFR 1304.23. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/CFR-2009-title45-vol4/CFR-2009-title45-vol4-sec1304-23. Accessed August 11, 2015.
US Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service. Child and Adult Care Food Program. http://www.fns.usda.gov/cacfp/child-and-adult-care-food-program. Accessed June 12, 2015.
Let’s Move! Child Care. Let’s Move! Child Care Goals. http://www.healthykidshealthyfuture.org/welcome.html. Accessed June 12, 2015.
US Health and Human Services General Services Administration collaborative team, The Federal Health and Sustainability Team for Concessions and Vending. http://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/pdf/guidelines_for_federal_concessions_and_vending_operations.pdf. Accessed June 12, 2015.
The Navajo Nation. Press Release: President Shelly signs Healthy Dine' Nation Act of 2014 into law. Posted November 21, 2014. http://www.navajo-nsn.gov/News%20Releases/OPVP/2014/nov/Healthy%20Dine%20Nation%20Act%20of%202014.pdf. Accessed June 11, 2015.
Navajo Nation Healthy Start Act of 2008. Legislation No. 0347-08. http://www.onlr.navajo-nsn.gov/ONLRDocs/Healthy%20Start%20Act%202008.pdf. Accessed August 11, 2015.
The Indian Health Service Nutrition and Dietetics Training Program. https://www.ihs.gov/Nutrition/. Accessed June 12, 2015.
Baby-Friendly USA. About us. http://www.babyfriendlyusa.org/about-us. Accessed August 11, 2015.
The Indian Health Service Health Education Program. Electronic Toolkits Providing Education on Breastfeeding. https://www.ihs.gov/healthed/index.cfm?module=toolkit_bf. Accessed June 12, 2015.
- The Characteristics of Native American WIC Participants, On and Off Reservations.US Department of Agriculture, Alexandria, VA2002Accessed June 12, 2015)
- Overweight and obesity among North American Indian infants, children, and youth.Am J Human Biol. 2012; 24: 302-313
- Early excess weight gain of children in the Pima Indian population.Pediatrics. 2002; 109: E33
- Early predictors of obesity and cardiovascular risk among American Indian children.Matern Child Health J. 2012; 16: 1879-1886
- Prevalence of obesity among US preschool children in different racial and ethnic groups.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009; 163: 344-348
- Trends in diabetes prevalence among American Indian and Alaska Native children, adolescents, and young adults.Am J Public Health. 2002; 92: 1485-1490
US Department of Health and Human Services Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Nutrition and weight status. National snapshots. http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/nutrition-and-weight-status/national-snapshot. Accessed August 11, 2015.
- Traditional foods and physical activity patterns and associations with cultural factors in a diverse Alaska Native population.Int J Circumpolar Health. 2008; 67: 335-348
- Rationale, design and methodology for the Navajo Health and Nutrition Survey.J Nutr. 1997; 127: 2078S-2084S
- Addressing disparities in the health of American Indian and Alaska Native people: The importance of improved public health data.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: S255-S257
- Obesity in American-Indian children: Prevalance, consequences, and prevention.Prev Med. 2003; 37: S3-S12
- Improving health among American Indians through environmentally-focused nutrition interventions.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 1528-1531
- Poverty and health disparities for American Indian and Alaska Native children: Current knowledge and future prospects.Ann NY Acad Sci. 2008; 1136: 126-136
- Trends and disparities in heart disease mortality among American Indians/Alaska Natives, 1990-2009.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: S359-S367
- Health behaviors and risk factors among American Indians and Alaska Natives, 2000-2010.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: S481-S489
- American-Indian diabetes mortality in the Great Plains Region 2002-2010.BMJ Open Diabetes Res Care. 2015; 3: e000070
- Surveillance for health behaviors of American Indians and Alaska Natives: Findings from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 1997-2000.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2003; 52: 1-13
- Period life tables for the non-Hispanic American Indian and Alaska Native population, 2007-2009.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: S312-S319
- Pathways: Lessons learned and future directions for school-based interventions among American Indians.Prev Med. 2003; 27: S107-S112
- The relevancy of community-based methods: Using diet within Native American and Alaska Native adult populations as an example.Clin Trans Sci. 2012; 5: 295-300
- The implementation of a participatory manuscript development process with Native American tribal awardees as part of the CDC Communities Putting Prevention to Work initiative: Challenges and opportunities.Prev Med. 2014; 67: S51-S57
- Addressing food security in a Native American reservation using community-based participatory research.Health Educ Res. 2012; 27: 645-655
- Integrating formative assessment and participatory research: Building healthier communities in the CHILE Project.Am J Health Educ. 2010; 41: 244-249
- Moving forward: Breaking the cycle of mistrust between American Indians and researchers.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: 2152-2159
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. The Notah Begay III Foundation announces launch of new national initiative. Released August 28, 2013. http://www.rwjf.org/en/about-rwjf/newsroom/newsroom-content/2013/08/notah-begay-foundation-national-initiative.html. Accessed June 12, 2015.
- Changes in the nutrient content of school lunches: Results from the Pathways study.Prev Med. 2003; : S35-S45
- Nutrition status of American Indian adults and impending needs in view of the Strong Heart Dietary Study.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 781-784
The National Institutes of Health Office of Strategic Coordination—The Common Fund. Enhancing the Diversity of the NIH-Funded Workforce. Funded Research. https://commonfund.nih.gov/diversity/fundedresearch. Accessed August 7, 2015.
US Department of Health and Human Services. Participating Organizations: National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (Admin Supp). PA-12-149. http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-12-149.html. Accessed August 7, 2015.
National Institutes of Health. Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award Individual Predoctoral Fellowship to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (Parent F31-Diversity). PA-14-148. http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-14-148.html. Accessed August 7, 2015.
- A community-based intervention to prevent obesity beginning at birth among American Indian children: Study design and rationale for the PTOTS Study.J Primary Prevent. 2012; 33: 161-174
- The Healthy Children, Strong Families Intervention: Design and community participation.J Primary Prevent. 2012; 33: 175-185
- Obesity prevention in preschool Native American children: A pilot study using home visiting.Obes Res. 2003; 11: 606-611
- Knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs that can influence infant feeding practices in American Indian mothers.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1587-1593
- Being useful: Achieving indigenous youth involvement in a community-based participatory research project in Alaska.Int J Circumpolar Health. 2012; 71: 18413
- Developing and piloting the Journey to Native Youth Health Program in Northern Plains Indian communities.Diabetes Educ. 2013; 39: 109-118
- Translating the Diabetes Prevention Program for Northern Plains Indian youth through community-based participatory research methods.Diabetes Educ. 2010; 36: 924-935
- Community-based participatory research: Conducting a formative assessment of factors that influence youth wellness in the Hualapai community.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 1623-1628
- Using a participatory research approach in a school-based physical activity intervention to prevent diabetes in the Hualapai Indian community, Arizona, 2002-2006.Prev Chronic Dis. 2014; 11: 1-11
- Assessing tribal youth physical activity and programming using a community-based participatory research approach.Public Health Nurs. 2010; 27: 104-114
Gillette J, Thiele R. President Obama and the Native American Community. The White House Launches the “Generation Indigenous Native Youth Challenge.” Posted February 12, 2015. https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015/02/12/white-house-launches-generation-indigenous-native-youth-challenge. Accessed May 20, 2015.
- Compensation and Benefits Survey of the Dietetics Profession 2013.The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Chicago, IL2013Accessed August 11, 2015)
- Building Our Future: Toolkit for Mentoring Diverse Students for Dietetics Careers.American Dietetic Association, Chicago, IL2001Accessed August 11, 2015)
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Diversity Awards and Grants. http://www.eatrightpro.org/resources/leadership/honors-and-awards/diversity-awards-and-grants. Accessed August 11, 2015.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the author.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Support was provided in part by Healthy Eating Research, a national program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) (ID #66958); the National Institutes of Health (NIH), University of North Carolina Interdisciplinary Obesity Training Grant (T 32 MH75854-03); and Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust (KBR). The content is solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily represent the official views of the RWJF, NIH, or KBR.