Main outcome measures
- Nutrition and Your Health: Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010. 7th ed. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2010
- Trends in adolescent fruit and vegetable consumption, 1999-2004: Project EAT.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 32: 147-150
- Nutritional quality of the diets of US public school children and the role of the school meal programs.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: S44-S56
- Eating at school: How the National School Lunch Program affects children's diets.Am J Agric Econ. 2003; 85: 1047-1061
- Let's Move Salad Bars to Schools: A public-private partnership to increase student fruit and vegetable consumption.Child Obes. 2012; 8: 294-297
Let's Move Salad Bars to Schools. 2015. http://www.saladbars2schools.org/. Accessed March 30, 2015.
US Department of Agriculture. Salad bars in the National School Lunch Program. Memo: SP 31-2013. March 2013. http://www.thelunchbox.org/sites/default/files/USDA Memo SP31-2013s Revised Salad Bar.pdf. Accessed October 23, 2013.
- Accessibility over availability: Associations between the school food environment and student fruit and green vegetable consumption.Child Obes. 2014; 10: 241-250
Ohio Department of Health. Ohio Seed to Salad: Toolkit assisting schools in implementing and promoting a salad bar. 2012. http://www.healthy.ohio.gov/∼/media/HealthyOhio/ASSETS/Files/creating healthy communities/salad bar/Toolkit-SaladBar12.ashx. Accessed October 23, 2013.
- School Lunch Salad Bars.Department of Agriculture, Alexandria, VA2003
- School-level factors associated with increased fruit and vegetable consumption among students in California middle and high schools.J Sch Health. 2014; 84: 559-568
- A school salad bar increases frequency of fruit and vegetable consumption among children living in low-income households.Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10: 1490-1496
- Salad bars and fruit and vegetable consumption in elementary schools: A plate waste study.J Am Diet Assoc. 2005; 105: 1789-1792
- Use of salad bars in school to increase fruit and vegetable consumption: Where's the evidence?.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1233-1236
- Smarter Lunchrooms can address new school lunchroom guidelines and childhood obesity.J Pediatr. 2013; 162: 867-869
- Cornell's Smarter Lunchroom Initiative: Engineering smart selections.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2010; 42: S75
- Healthy convenience: Nudging students toward healthier choices in the lunchroom.J Public Health (Oxford). 2012; 34: 370-376
- Increasing children's fruit and vegetable consumption: A peer-modelling and rewards-based intervention.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2004; 58: 1649-1660
- What's the relative risk? A method of correcting the odds ratio in cohort studies of common outcomes.JAMA. 1998; 280: 1690-1691
- Mgcv library.in: R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2014
US Department of Agriculture. Annual summary of food and nutrition service programs. http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/annual.htm. Accessed October 23, 2013.
US Department of Agriculture. Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act of 2010. http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/governance/legislation/cnr_2010.htm. Accessed October 23, 2013.
- Reframing Health Behavior Change with Behavioral Economics.Lawrence Erlbaum, Mahwah, NJ2000
- The logical and empirical basis for the Behavioral Ecological Model.in: Emerging Theories in Health Promotion Practice and Research. Vol. 2. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA2009
- Food choice, plate waste and nutrient intake of elementary- and middle school students participating in the US National School Lunch Program.Public Health Nutr. 2014; 17: 1255-1263
- School lunch waste among middle school students: Nutrients consumed and costs.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: 114-121
- New school meal regulations increase fruit consumption and do not increase total plate waste.Child Obes. 2015; 11: 242-247
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was supported by the Virginia G. Piper Charitable Trust (grant no. ZBS0019).