Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Stress and adaptation.in: Porth C.M. Pathophysiology, Concepts of Altered Health States. 7th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2005: 187-276
- The consequences of malnutrition following discharge from rehabilitation to the community: A systematic review of current evidence in older adults.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2014; 27: 133-141
- Nutrition in aging.in: Mahan L.K. Escott-Stump S. Krouse's Food & Nutrition Therapy. 12th ed. MO Saunders Elsevier, St Louis2008: 286-308
- Evidence based practice guidelines for the nutritional management of malnutrition in patients across the continuum of care.Nutr Diet. 2009; 66: S1-S34
- Nutrition care process and model: ADA adopts road map to quality care and outcomes management.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 1061-1072
- differentiating malnutrition screening and assessment: A Nutrition care process perspective.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 824-828
- The Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) and its use in grading the nutritional state of elderly patients.Nutrition. 1999; 15: 116-122
- Overview of the MNA—Its history and challenges.J Nutr Health Aging. 2006; 10: 456-465
- Use of the scored Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment (PG-SGA) as a nutrition assessment tool in patients with cancer.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2002; 56: 779-785
Marshall S, Young A, Bauer J, Isenring E. Malnourished older adults admitted to rehabilitation in rural New South Wales remain malnourished throughout rehabilitation and once discharged back to the community: A prospective cohort study J Aging Res Clin Practice. In press.
- Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment.in: McCallum P.D. Polisena C.G. The Clinical Guide to Oncology Nutrition. American Dietetic Association, Chicago, IL2000: 11-23
- Rethinking nutritional support of the cancer patient: The new field of nutritional oncology.Semin Oncol. 1994; 21: 770-778
- Nutrition screening and assessment in Parkinson’s disease: A comparison of methods.e-SPEN J. 2013; 8: e187-e192
- Prevalence of malnutrition on admission to hospital—Acute and elective general surgical patients.e-SPEN J. 2010; 5: e21-e25
- The Scored Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment is an effective nutrition assessment tool in subjects with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.e-SPEN J. 2011; 6: e27-e30
- Assessment of nutritional status in hemodialysis patients using Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment.J Ren Nutr. 2005; 15: 211-216
- Malnutrition determined by the Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment is associated with poor outcomes in acute stroke patients.Clin Nutr. 2005; 24: 1073-1077
- Encouraging Best Practice Nutrition and Hydration in Residential Aged Care.(Final report) Australian Government Department of Health & Ageing, Canberra2009
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Rural, regional and remote health: A guide to remoteness classifications. AIHW cat. no. PHE 53. Published 2004. Canberra: AIHW. http://www.aihw.gov.au/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=6442459567. Accessed June 21, 2015.
- Australian Coding Standards for I.C.D.-10-AM.National Centre for Classification in Health, Sydney, Australia2008
- Malnutrition coding shortfalls in Australian and New Zealand hospitals.Nutr Diet. 2015; 72: 69-73
- Concurrent and predictive evaluation of malnutrition diagnostic measures in hip fracture inpatients: A diagnostic accuracy study.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2014; 68: 358-362
- Quick and easy is not without cost: Implications of poorly performing nutrition screening tools in hip fracture.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014; 62: 237-243
Nutrition Screening As Easy As MNA: A Guide To Completing The Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA). Lausanne, Switzerland: Nestlé Nutrition Institute. http://www.mna-elderly.com/forms/mna_guide_english_sf.pdf. Accessed July 3, 2015.
- Measures of diagnostic accuracy: Basic definitions.Med Biol Sci. 2008; 22: 61-65
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- Nutrition screening in geriatric rehabilitation: Criterion (concurrent and predictive) validity of the Malnutrition Screening Tool and the Mini Nutritional Assessment-Short Form.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 795-801
- Principles of Biostatistics. Vol. 2. Duxbury Press, Pacific Grove, CA2000
- Statistical algorithms in Review Manager 5.Statistical Methods Group of The Cochrane Collaboration, Oxford, UK2010: 1-11
- The diagnostic odds ratio: A single indicator of test performance.J Clin Epidemiol. 2003; 56: 1129-1135
- Nutritional status and clinical outcomes of older patients in rehabilitation.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2005; 18: 129-136
- Nutritional screening of older people in a sub-acute care facility in Australia and its relation to discharge outcomes.Age Ageing. 2004; 33: 260-265
- Poor nutritional status of older subacute patients predicts clinical outcomes and mortality at 18 months of follow-up.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2012; 66: 1224-1228
- Implementation of malnutrition screening and assessment by dietitians: Malnutrition exists in acute and rehabilitation settings.Nutr Dietet. 2001; 58: 92-97
- Prevalence of malnutrition and risk factors in geriatric patients of a convalescent and rehabilitation hospital.Hong Kong Med J. 2005; 11: 234-242
- A population-specific Mini-Nutritional Assessment can effectively grade the nutritional status of stroke rehabilitation patients in Taiwan.J Clin Nurs. 2009; 18: 82-88
- Epidemiological study of malnutrition in elderly patients in acute, sub-acute and long-term care using the MNA.Age Nutr. 2000; 11: 33-39
- Frequency of malnutrition in older adults: A multinational perspective using the Mini Nutritional Assessment.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 1734-1738
- Eating difficulties, need for assisted eating, nutritional status and pressure ulcers in patients admitted for stroke rehabilitation.J Clin Nurs. 2001; 10: 257-269
- Eating difficulties, assisted eating and nutritional status in elderly (> or = 65 years) patients in hospital rehabilitation.Int J Nurs Stud. 2002; 39: 341-351
- Mini Nutritional Assessment in geriatric rehabilitation: Inter-rater reliability and relationship to body composition and nutritional biochemistry.Nutr Diet. 2007; 64: 179-185
- The Mini Nutritional Assessment and body composition in healthy adults.Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Clin Perform Programme. 1999; 1 (discussion 21-2): 13-21
- Associations among the Mini Nutritional Assessment instrument, dehydration, and functional status among older African Americans in St. Louis, Mo., USA.Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Clin Perform Programme. 1999; 1: 79-86
- Malnutrition screening tools: Comparison against two validated nutrition assessment methods in older medical inpatients.Nutrition. 2013; 29: 101-106
- Nutritional status using Mini Nutritional Assessment and Subjective Global Assessment predict mortality in geriatric patients.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: 1996-2002
- Evaluation of nutritional assessment technique in elderly people newly admitted to municipal care.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2002; 56: 810-818
- Australian Government. Caring for Older Australians. Vol. 1. Productivity Commission, Canberra, Australia2011
- Nutrient Reference Values for Australia and New Zealand Including Recommended Dietary Intakes. National Health and Medical Resarch Council, Canberra, Australia2005
- Anthropometric measurements in the elderly: Age and gender differences.Br J Nutr. 2002; 87: 177-186
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORTThis study received no specific funding. S. Marshall is supported by an Australian Postgraduate Award throughout the duration of her PhD candidature.