Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Health effects of mixed fruit and vegetable concentrates: A systematic review of the clinical interventions.J Am Coll Nutr. 2011; 30: 285-294
- Dietary antioxidants, cognitive function and dementia—A systematic review.Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2013; 68: 279-292
- Carotenoids: Linking chemistry, absorption, and metabolism to potential roles in human health and disease.in: Cadenas E. Packer L. Handbook of Antioxidants. Marcel-Dekker, New York, NY2002: 189-221
- Nutritional significance and measurement of carotenoids.Curr Top Nutraceutical Res. 2004; 2: 79-91
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Selenium, and Carotenoids.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2000
- Resonance Raman spectroscopic evaluation of skin carotenoids as a biomarker of carotenoid status for human studies.Arch Biochem Biophys. 2013; 539: 163-170
- Clinical validation of a noninvasive Raman spectroscopic method to assess carotenoid nutritional status in humans.J Am Coll Nutr. 2009; 28: 687-693
- Skin carotenoids: A biomarker of fruit and vegetable intake in children.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1174-1180
- Resonance Raman detection of carotenoid antioxidants in living human tissue.J Biomed Opt. 2005; 10: 064028
- Validation of overweight children's fruit and vegetable intake using plasma carotenoids.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009; 17: 162-168
- Effect of fruit and vegetable intake on skin carotenoid detected by non-invasive Raman spectroscopy.J Med Assoc Thai. 2006; 89: 1206-1212
- Validity and systematic error in measuring carotenoid consumption with dietary self-report instruments.Am J Epidemiol. 2006:15; 163: 770-778
- Skin carotenoid status measured by resonance Raman spectroscopy as a biomarker of fruit and vegetable intake in preschool children.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2012; 66: 555-560
- β-Carotene in golden rice is as good as β-carotene in oil at providing vitamin A to children.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012 Sep; 96: 658-664
- Plasma beta-carotene and retinol concentrations of children increase after a 30-d supplementation with the fruit Momordica cochinchinensis (gac).Am J Clin Nutr. 2002; 75: 872-879
- Sun-dried cowpeas and amaranth leaves recipe improves β-carotene and retinol levels in serum and hemoglobin concentration among preschool children.Eur J Nutr. 2013; 52: 583-589
- Increase in serum beta-carotene following dark green leafy vegetable supplementation in Mebendazole-treated school children in Bangladesh.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2001; 55: 1-9
- Skin and plasma carotenoid response to a provided intervention diet high in vegetables and fruit: Uptake and depletion kinetics.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 100: 930-937
- A pilot study on the use of plasma carotenoids and ascorbic acid as markers of compliance to a high fruit and vegetable dietary intervention.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 1994; 3: 245-251
- Development and validation of a beverage and snack questionnaire for use in evaluation of school nutrition policies.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 1587-1592
National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health. ASA24TM-Kids Web site. http://riskfactor.cancer.gov/tools/instruments/asa24/researcher/. Published September 2012. Accessed January 2013.
- The food intake recording software system is valid among fourth-grade children.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 380-385
- Comparison of a Web-based versus traditional diet recall among children.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 527-532
- The Automated Self-Administered 24-hour dietary recall (ASA24): A resource for researchers, clinicians, and educators from the National Cancer Institute.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1134-1137
- Practical Meta-Analysis.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2001
- Carotenoid content of U.S. foods: An update of the database.J Food Comp Anal. 1999; 12: 169-196
- Serum alpha- and beta-carotene concentrations qualitatively respond to sustained carrot feeding.Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2009; 234: 1280-1286
- Low and high responders to pharmacological doses of beta-carotene: Proportion in the population, mechanisms involved and consequences of beta-carotene metabolism.J Lipid Res. 1998; 39: 2250-2260
- Increasing the vegetable intake dose is associated with a rise in plasma carotenoids without modifying oxidative stress or inflammation in overweight or obese postmenopausal women.J Nutr. 2011; 141: 1827-1833
- Validation of three food frequency questionnaires and 24-hour recalls with serum carotenoid levels in a sample of African-American adults.Am J Epidemiol. 2000; 152: 1072-1080
- Serum concentrations of retinol, alpha-tocopherol and the carotenoids are influenced by diet, race and obesity in a sample of healthy adolescents.J Nutr. 2001; 131: 2184-2191
- Orange fruit is more effective than are dark-green, leafy vegetables in increasing serum concentrations of retinol and beta-carotene in schoolchildren in Indonesia.Am J Clin Nutr. 1998; 68: 1058-1067
- Air pollution, oxidative stress and dietary supplementation: A review.Eur Respir J. 2008; 31: 179-197
- Getting children to eat more fruit and vegetables: A systematic review.Prev Med. 2006; 42: 85-95
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST NuSkin, LLC, provided the active and placebo juice for the study. After the conclusion of this study, S. S. Aguilar was a study coordinator for an unrelated study funded by NuSkin.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was funded through the Center for Human Nutrition Studies at Utah State University.