Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorder among children aged 8 years—Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, 11 sites, United States, 2010.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-V.American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc, Washington, DC2013
- Descriptive epidemiology of autism in a California population: Who is at risk?.J Autism Dev Disord. 2002; 32: 217-224
- Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorder among children aged 8 years—Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, 11 sites, United States, 2010.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2014; 63 (Accessed November 15, 2014): 1-21
- A comparison of health care utilization and costs of children with and without autism spectrum disorders in a large group-model heath plan.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: e1203-e1211
- The costs of caring for a child with an autism spectrum disorder.Issues Comp Pediatr Nurs. 2012; 35: 45-69
- The co-morbidity burden of children and young adults with autism spectrum disorders.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e33224
- Gastrointestinal symptoms in autism spectrum disorders: A meta-analysis.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: 872-883
- Evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of gastrointestinal disorders in individuals with ASDs: A consensus report.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: S1-S18
Nutrition Care Manual. Gastrointestinal diseases. http://www.nutritioncaremanual.org/category.cfm?ncm_category_id=13&ncm_heading=Nutrition%20Care. Accessed November 25, 2014.
- What is pediatric nutrition support?.in: Baker S. Pediatric Nutrition Support. Jones and Bartlett, Sudbury, MA2007: 123-133
- Management of constipation in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorders.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: S98-S105
- Dietary adequacy of children with autism compared with controls and the impact of the restricted diet.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2013; 34: 449-459
- Gastrointestinal problems in children with autism, developmental delays, or typical development.J Autism Dev Disord. 2014; 44: 1117-1127
- Feeding problems and nutrient intake in children with autism spectrum disorders: A meta-analysis and comprehensive review of the literature.J Autism Dev Disord. 2013; 43: 2159-2173
- Food selectivity in children with autism spectrum disorders and typically developing children.J Pediatr. 2010; 157: 259-264
- A comparison of nutrient intake and eating behaviors of boys with and without autism.Topics in Clin Nutr. 2008; 23: 23-31
- Development and validation of an inventory to assess mealtime behavior problems in children with autism.J Autism Dev Disord. 2008; 38: 342-352
- Feeding and eating behaviors in children with autism and typically developing children.J Autism Dev Disord. 2008; 38: 1878-1887
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Health implications of dietary fiber.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 1716-1731
- A retrospective chart review of dietary diversity and feeding behavior of children with autism spectrum disorder before and after admission to a day treatment program.Focus Autism Other Dev Disabil. 2011; 26: 37-48
- Nutritional deficiencies in children on restricted diets.Pediatr Clin N Am. 2009; 56: 1085-1103
- Food allergy and autism spectrum disorders: Is there a link?.Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2009; 9: 194-201
- Food allergy and food-based therapies in neurodevelopmental disorders.Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2014; 25: 218-226
- Non-nutritional effects of food: An underutilized and understudied therapeutic tool in chronic gastrointestinal diseases.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013; 28: 37-44
- A diet low in FODMAPs reduces symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.Gastroenterology. 2014; 146: 67-75.e5
- Dietary sensitivities and ADHD symptoms: 35 years of research.Clin Pediatr. 2011; 50: 279-293
- Food additives and hyperactive behaviour in 3-year-old and 8/9-year-old children in the community: A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2007; 370: 1560-1567
- The gluten-free, casein-free diet in autism: Results of a preliminary double blind clinical trial.J Autism Dev Disord. 2006; 36: 413-420
- Impaired carbohydrate digestion and transport and mucosal dysbiosis in the intestines of children with autism and gastrointestinal disturbances.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e24585
- Autism and gastrointestinal symptoms.Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2002; 4: 251-258
- Application of a ketogenic diet in children with autistic behavior: Pilot study.J Child Neurol. 2003; 18: 113-118
- Potential therapeutic use of the ketogenic diet in autism spectrum disorders.Front Pediatr. 2014; 2: 69
- Reduced incidence of Prevotella and other fermenters in intestinal microflora of autistic children.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e68322
- Does the human gut microbiota contribute to the etiology of autism spectrum disorders?.Dig Dis Sci. 2012; 57: 1987-1990
- Evaluation and treatment of constipation in infants and children: Recommendations of the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2006; 43: e1-e13
- Pediatric feeding disorders: A quantitative synthesis of treatment outcomes.Clin Child Fam Psychol Rev. 2011; 13: 348-365
- Nutrient intake from food in children with autism.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: S145-S153
- Systematic review of psychological interventions for pediatric feeding problems.J Pediatr Psychol. 2014; 39: 903-917
- Feeding problems in children with autism spectrum disorders: A review.Focus Autism Other Dev Disablil. 2006; 21: 153-166
- Efficacy of dietary interventions for inducing histologic remission in patients with eosinophilic esophagitis: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Gastroenterology. 2014; 146: 1639-1648
- The prevalence of obesity in children with autism: A secondary data analysis using nationally representative data from the National Survey of Children's Health.BMC Pediatrics. 2010; 10: 11
- Obesity in young children with autism spectrum disorders: Prevalence and associated factors.Child Obesity. 2013; 9: 125-131
Croen LA, Zerbo O, Qian Y, Massolo ML. Psychiatric and Medical Conditions Among Adults with ASD. Paper presented at the 14th Annual Meeting of the International Society for Autism Research (INSAR). Atlanta, GA, May 2014. Abstract available at: https://imfar.confex.com/imfar/2014/webprogram/start.html. Accessed October 22, 2014.
- Nutritional interventions and therapies in autism.ICAN. 2010; 2: 120-133
- Reduced bone cortical thickness in boys with autism or autism spectrum disorder.J Autism Dev Disord. 2008; 38: 848-856
- Brief report: Bone fractures in children and adults with autism spectrum disorders.J Autism Dev Disord. 2015; 45: 881-887
This article was written by Rashelle C. Berry, MPH, MS, RD, CSP, lead nutritionist, Pediatric Feeding Disorders Program, Marcus Autism Center, Atlanta, GA; Patricia Novak, MPH, RD, EMPOWER project coordinator, Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA; Nicole Withrow, PhD, RD, assistant professor and dietetic internship coordinator, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley; Brianne Schmidt, RD, clinical nutrition specialist, Division of Neurodevelopmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, Golisano Children's Hospital at Strong, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY; Sheah Rarback, MS, RD, director of nutrition, Mailman Center for Child Development, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL; Sharon Feucht, MA, RD, nutritionist, Center on Human Development and Disability, University of Washington, Seattle; Kristen K. Criado, PhD, psychologist, Pediatric Feeding Disorders Program, Marcus Autism Center, Atlanta, GA, and assistant professor, Department of Pediatrics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA; and William G. Sharp, PhD, director, Pediatric Feeding Disorders Program, Marcus Autism Center, Atlanta, GA, and assistant professor, Department of Pediatrics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported by a 2014 Education Grant from Nutricia North America.