Background and objective
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Water, hydration, and health.Nutr Rev. 2010; 68: 439-458
LaComb P, Sebastian RS, Enns CW, et al. Beverage choices of U.S. adults. What we eat in America, NHANES 2007–2008. 2011. www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=19476. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- Water in nutritional health of individuals and households: An overview.South African Water Res Commiss. 2009; 35 (http://repository.up.ac.za/bitstream/handle/2263/12598/Wenhold_Water%282009%29.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y. Accessed June 15, 2015.): 61-71
- Impact of water intake on energy intake and weight status: A systematic review.Nutr Rev. 2010; 68: 505-521
- Association between water consumption and body weight outcomes: A systematic review.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98: 282-299
- Beverage consumption and adult weight management: A review.Eat Behav. 2009; 10: 237-246
- A new proposed guidance system for beverage consumption in the United States.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 83: 529-542
- Association of low dietary intake of fiber and liquids with constipation: Evidence from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Am J Gastroenterol. 2013; 108: 796-803
- Mild dehydration affects mood in healthy young women.J Nutr. 2012; 142: 382-388
- Mild dehydration impairs cognitive performance and mood of men.Brit J Nutr. 2011; 106: 1535-1543
- Impairment of insulin-mediated glucose metabolism by hyperosmolality in man.Diabetes. 1983; 32: 1028-1034
- Is increased water consumption among older adults associated with improvements in glucose homeostasis?.Open J Prev Med. 2013; 3: 363-367
- Hydration, morbidity, and mortality in vulnerable populations.Nutr Rev. 2012; 70: S152-S155
- Intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and weight gain: A systematic review.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 84: 274-288
- Effects of soft drink consumption on nutrition and health: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Public Health. 2007; 97: 667-675
- Sugar-sweetened beverage, sugar intake of individuals, and their blood pressure: International study of macro/micronutrients and blood pressure.Hypertension. 2011; 57: 695-701
- Reducing consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages is associated with reduced blood pressure: A prospective study among United States adults.Circulation. 2010; 121: 2398-2406
- Resolved: There is sufficient scientific evidence that decreasing sugar-sweetened beverage consumption will reduce the prevalence of obesity and obesity-related diseases.Obes Rev. 2013; 14: 606-619
- Dietary sugars intake and cardiovascular health: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2009; 120: 1011-1020
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2005
Story M. Recommendations for healthier beverages. 2013. http://www.rwjf.org/content/dam/farm/reports/issue_briefs/2013/rwjf404852. Accessed March 3, 2014.
- Nutrition and Your Health: Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. 7th ed. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2010
- Will reducing sugar-sweetened beverage consumption reduce obesity? Evidence supporting conjecture is strong, but evidence when testing effect is weak.Obes Rev. 2013; 14: 620-633
- Are sugar-sweetened beverages the whole story?.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98: 261-263
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2010.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 569-580
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Survey design factors course. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/tutorials/NHANES/SurveyDesign/intro.htm. Accessed July 11, 2013.
NCHS research ethics review Board approval. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/irba98.htm. Accessed January 29, 2014.
MEC in-person dietary interviewers procedures manual. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes_09_10/DietaryInterviewers_Inperson.pdf. Accessed September 3, 2013.
Phone follow-up dietary interviewer procedures manual. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes_09_10/Dietary_PFU_09.pdf. Accessed September 3, 2013.
- The metabolism and distribution of water in body and tissues.Physiol Rev. 1933; 13: 336-371
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Survey Operations Manual, 2007-2008. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2007-2008/current_nhanes_07_08.htm. Accessed September 3, 2014.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Survey Operation Manuals, 2005-2006. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2005-2006/current_nhanes_05_06.htm. Accessed March 4, 2014.
- Changes in food and nutrient intake of 6- to 17-year-old Germans between the 1980s and 2006.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 1912-1923
National Center for Health Statistics and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. NHAHES 2005-2006 data documentation, coodebook, and frequencies-HDL-C. Last updated April, 2010. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2005-2006/HDL_D.htm. Accessed March 4, 2014.
National Center for Health Statistics & Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. NHANES 2007-2008 data documentation, codebook, and frequencies-HDL-C. Last updated April, 2010. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes2007-2008/HDL_E.htm. Accessed March 4, 2014.
- Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge.Clin Chem. 1972; 18: 499-502
- 2014 Evidence-based guideline for the management of high blood pressure in adults: Report From the panel members appointed to the eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8).JAMA. 2014; 311: 507-520
- Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: A joint interim statement of the International Diabetes Federation Task Force on Epidemiology and Prevention; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; American Heart Association; World Heart Federation; International Atherosclerosis Society; and International Association for the Study of Obesity.Circulation. 2009; 120: 1640-1645
- Easy SAS calculations for risk or prevalence ratios and differences.Am J Epidemiol. 2005; 162: 199-200
- A modified Poisson regression approach to prospective studies with binary data.Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 159: 702-706
- Alternatives for logistic regression in cross-sectional studies: An empirical comparison of models that directly estimate the prevalence ratio.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2003; 3: 21
- Diet quality of Americans in 2001-02 and 2007-08 as measured by the Healthy Eating Index-2010.Nutrition Insight. 2013; 51 (http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/nutrition_insights_uploads/Insight51.pdf. Accessed June 15, 2015.)
- Trends in sugar-sweetened beverage consumption among youth and adults in the United States: 1999-2010.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98: 180-188
- Major food sources of calories, added sugars, and saturated fat and their contribution to essential nutrient intakes in the U.S. diet: Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2003-2006).Nutr J. 2013; 12: 116
- Low water intake and risk for new-onset hyperglycemia.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 2551-2554
- Vital signs: Avoidable deaths from heart disease, stroke, and hypertensive disease - United States, 2001-2010.MMWR Morbid Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013; 62: 721-727
- Consumer response to healthy eating, physical activity and weight-related recommendations: A systematic review.Obes Rev. 2012; 13: 606-617
- Adults with healthier dietary patterns have healthier beverage patterns.J Nutr. 2006; 136 (Erratum in: J Nutr. 2010;140(6):1189): 2901-2917
- Is beverage consumption related to specific dietary pattern intakes?.Curr Nutr Rep. 2014; 4: 72-81
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT None to report.