Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Lifetime health and economic consequences of obesity.Arch Intern Med. 1999; 159: 2177-2183
- Health and economic burden of the projected obesity trends in the USA and the UK.Lancet. 2011; 378: 815-825
- Behavioral approaches to the treatment of obesity.in: Bray GA BC James W.P.T. Handbooks of Obesity. Marcel Dekker, New York, NY2004: 147-167
- Self-monitoring in weight loss: A systematic review of the literature.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 92-102
- Self-monitoring dietary intake: Current and future practices.J Ren Nutr. 2005; 15: 281-290
- State of the evidence regarding behavior change theories and strategies in nutrition counseling to facilitate health and food behavior change.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 879-891
- Using mHealth technology to enhance self-monitoring for weight loss: A randomized trial.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 20-26
- Comparison of traditional versus mobile app self-monitoring of physical activity and dietary intake among overweight adults participating in an mHealth weight loss program.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013; 20: 513-518
- Computerized self-monitoring and technology-assisted feedback for weight loss with and without an enhanced behavioral component.Patient Educ Couns. 2011; 85: 375-382
- PDA+: A Personal Digital Assistant for Obesity Treatment - an RCT testing the use of technology to enhance weight loss treatment for veterans.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: 223
- New technology in dietary assessment: A review of digital methods in improving food record accuracy.Proc Nutr Soc. 2013; 72: 70-76
- Behavior therapy and cognitive-behavioral therapy of obesity: Is there a difference?.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 92-99
- Self-monitoring: Methodological limitations and clinical applications.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1970; 35: 5
- Self-management methods.in: Kanfer E.F. Goldstein A.P. Helping People Change: A Textbook of Methods. 2nd ed. Pergamon Press, New York, NY1980
- The maintenance of behavior by self-generated stimuli and reinforcement.in: Jacobs A. Sachs L.B. The Psychology of Private Events. Academic Press, New York, NY1971
- Experiences of self-monitoring: Successes and struggles during treatment for weight loss.Qual Health Res. 2009; 19: 815-828
- A concept analysis of self-monitoring.J Adv Nurs. 2007; 57: 339-350
- Health promotion from the perspective of social cognitive theory.Psychol Health. 1998; 13: 26
- The impact of self-efficacy on behavior change and weight change among overweight participants in a weight loss trial.Health Psychol. 2006; 25: 282-291
- Self-regulatory skills usage strengthens the relations of self-efficacy for improved eating, exercise, and weight in the severely obese: Toward an explanatory model.Behav Med. 2011; 37: 71-76
- Self-monitoring and weight management.Online J Nurs Inform. 2008; 12 (http://ojni.org/12_1/shay.html. Accessed May 11, 2015.)
- Child and parental self-monitoring as determinants of success in the treatment of morbid obesity in low-income minority children.J Pediatr Psychol. 2007; 32: 111-121
- Further support for consistent self-monitoring as a vital component of successful weight control.Obes Res. 1998; 6: 219-224
- Self-weighing promotes weight loss for obese adults.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 36: 70-73
- Physical activity self-monitoring and weight loss: 6-month results of the SMART trial.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 1568-1574
- The effect of electronic self-monitoring on weight loss and dietary intake: A randomized behavioral weight loss trial.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011; 19: 338-344
- Self-monitoring of dietary intake by young women: Online food records completed on computer or smartphone are as accurate as paper-based food records but more acceptable.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 87-94
- Dietary self-monitoring and long-term success with weight management.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014; 22: 1962-1967
- Factors associated with achieving a weight loss goal among participants in an adapted Diabetes Prevention Program.Prim Care Diabetes. 2011; 5: 125-129
- A randomized controlled trial of a community-based behavioral counseling program.Am J Med. 2013; 126: 1143.e19-1143.e24
- Understanding dietary monitoring and self-weighing by gastric bypass patients: A pilot study of self-monitoring behaviors and long-term weight outcomes.Obes Surg. 2012; 22: 1818-1826
- SMART trial: A randomized clinical trial of self-monitoring in behavioral weight management-design and baseline findings.Contemp Clin Trials. 2009; 30: 540-551
- Self-monitoring and eating-related behaviors are associated with 12-month weight loss in postmenopausal overweight-to-obese women.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1428-1435
- Achieving weight and activity goals among diabetes prevention program lifestyle participants.Obes Res. 2004; 12: 1426-1434
- Using instrumented paper diaries to document self-monitoring patterns in weight loss.Contemp Clin Trials. 2008; 29: 182-193
- Web-based self-monitoring for weight loss among overweight/obese women at increased risk for breast cancer: The HELP pilot study.Psychooncology. 2013; 22: 1821-1828
- Effects of Internet behavioral counseling on weight loss in adults at risk for type 2 diabetes: A randomized trial.JAMA. 2003; 289: 1833-1836
- Using Internet technology to deliver a behavioral weight loss program.JAMA. 2001; 285: 1172-1177
- A randomized trial comparing human e-mail counseling, computer-automated tailored counseling, and no counseling in an Internet weight loss program.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1620-1625
- Effect of internet support on the long-term maintenance of weight loss.Obes Res. 2004; 12: 320-329
- Adherence to a smartphone application for weight loss compared to website and paper diary: Pilot randomized controlled trial.J Med Internet Res. 2013; 15: e32
Weight management app reviews. http://www.eatright.org/Media/content.aspx?id=6442467041#.U4gArlepN8F. Accessed October 12, 2014.
- Personal digital assistants (PDAs): Review and evaluation.Nurs Educ Perspect. 2010; 31: 179-182
Do electronic devices and services designed to help you drop pounds actually work? The experts weigh in. http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/high-tech-weight-loss. Accessed October 12, 2014.
- Dietary assessment and self-monitoring with nutrition applications for mobile devices.Can J Diet Pract Res. 2012; 73: e253-e260
- Improving dietary self-monitoring and adherence with hand-held computers: A pilot study.Am J Health Promot. 2006; 20: 165-170
- Integrating technology into standard weight loss treatment: A randomized controlled trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 105-111
- Technology-assisted dietary assessment.Proc SPIE. 2008; 6814: 681411
- Personal digital assistants are comparable to traditional diaries for dietary self-monitoring during a weight loss program.J Behav Med. 2007; 30: 165-175
- The efficacy of a technology-based system in a short-term behavioral weight loss intervention.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007; 15: 825-830
- Adherence and weight loss outcomes associated with food-exercise diary preference in a military weight management program.Eat Behav. 2009; 10: 220-227
- Using a personal digital assistant for self-monitoring influences diet quality in comparison to a standard paper record among overweight/obese adults.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 583-588
- Weight management using the internet a randomized controlled trial.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 34: 119-126
- Factors related to sustained use of a free mobile app for dietary self-monitoring with photography and peer feedback: Retrospective cohort study.J Med Internet Res. 2014; 16: e109
Wearable technologies - Know what you eat. http://www.wearable-technologies.com/2013/10/know-what-you-eat/. Accessed February 16, 2015.
Science Alert Website. New wearable device can track your diet. http://www.sciencealert.com/new-wearable-device-can-track-your-diet. Accessed Feburary 16, 2015.
Kalantarian H, Alshurafa N, Sarrafzadeh M. A wearable nutrition monitoring system. 11th International Conference on Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Networks (BSN). Zurich, Switzerland: 2014:75-80. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/BSN.2014.26.
- Electronic feedback in a diet- and physical activity-based lifestyle intervention for weight loss: A randomized controlled trial.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 41
- Validity and reliability of a dietary assessment method: The application of a digital camera with a mobile phone card attachment.J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2002; 48: 498-504
- The use of mobile devices in aiding dietary assessment and evaluation.IEEE J Sel Top Signal Process. 2010; 4: 756-766
- An image analysis system for dietary assessment and evaluation.Proc Int Conf Image Proc. 2010; : 1853-1856
- Patterns of success: Online self-monitoring in a web-based behavioral weight control program.Health Psychol. 2013; 32: 164-170
- Comparison of techniques for self-monitoring eating and exercise behaviors on weight loss in a correspondence-based intervention.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1807-1810
- Advances in patient adherence to medical treatment regimens: The emerging role of technology in adherence monitoring and management.Soc Personal Psychol Compass. 2013; 7: 17
- Weight control during the holidays: Highly consistent self-monitoring as a potentially useful coping mechanism.Health Psychol. 1998; 17: 367-370
- Consistent self-monitoring of weight: A key component of successful weight loss maintenance.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007; 15: 3091-3096
- Use of email and telephone prompts to increase self-monitoring in a Web-based intervention: Randomized controlled trial.J Med Internet Res. 2012; 14: e96
- Similarities and differences between weight loss maintainers and regainers: A qualitative analysis.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 499-505
- Effect of adherence to self-monitoring of diet and physical activity on weight loss in a technology-supported behavioral intervention.Patient Prefer Adherence. 2012; 6: 221-226
- Self-monitoring as a mediator of weight loss in the SMART randomized clinical trial.Int J Behav Med. 2013; 20: 556-561
- Weight loss during the intensive intervention phase of the weight-loss maintenance trial.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 35: 118-126
- Adoption of diet-related self-monitoring behaviors varies by race/ethnicity, education, and baseline binge eating score among overweight-to-obese postmenopausal women in a 12-month dietary weight loss intervention.Nutr Res. 2012; 32: 260-265
This article was written by Zhiping Yu, PhD, RDN, LDN, assistant professor, Claudia Sealey-Potts, PhD, RDN, LDN, FAND, dietetic internship director and assistant professor, and Judith Rodriguez, PhD, RDN, LDN, FAND, chairperson and professor, Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, University of North Florida, Jacksonville.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST The authors have no potential conflict of interest to report.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to report.