Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Heart Disease Facts. 2014 http://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm. Accessed November 13, 2012.
- A clinical trial of the effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure. DASH Collaborative Research Group.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 1117-1124
- Effects on blood lipids of a blood pressure-lowering diet: The Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) Trial.Am J Clin Nutr. 2001; 74: 80-89
- The Mediterranean diet pattern and its main components are associated with lower plasma concentrations of tumor necrosis factor receptor 60 in patients at high risk for cardiovascular disease.J Nutr. 2012; 142: 1019-1025
- The Mediterranean diet revisited: Evidence of its effectiveness grows.Curr Opin Cardiol. 2009; 24: 442-446
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010.7th ed. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DCDecember 2010
Home of the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. February 2015 http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/. Accessed February 28, 2015.
- Benefical effects of Korean traditional diets in hypertensive and type 2 diabetic patients.J Med Food. 2014; 17: 161-171
- The nutrition transition in South Korea.Am J Clin Nutr. 2000; 71: 44-53
- Prevalence of prehypertension and hypertension in a Korean population: Korean National Health and Nutrition Survey 2001.J Hypertens. 2006; 24: 1515-1521
- Revised dietary guidelines for Koreans.Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2008; 17: 55-58
- Has the microbiota played a critical role in the evolution of the adaptive immune system?.Science. 2010; 330: 1768-1773
- Metabolic activities and probiotic potential of bifidobacteria.Int J Food Microbiol. 2011; 149: 88-105
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service and US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. What We Eat In America, NHANES 2001-2004. Belstville, MD: US Department of Agriculture. http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=13793. Accessed October 13, 2011.
- Sensory acceptability of foods with added lupin (Lupinus angustifolius) kernel fiber using pre-set criteria.J Food Sci. 2002; 67: 356-362
- Evaluation of gastrointestinal symptoms in different patient groups using the visual analogue scale for irritable bowel syndrome (VAS-IBS).BMC Gastroenterol. 2011; 11: 122
US Department of Agriculture. Sample menus for a 2000 calorie food pattern. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/downloads/Sample_Menus-2000Cals-DG2010.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2011.
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans.Seoul: Kookjin Publishing Co, 2010
- Dietary reference intakes for Koreans (KDRIs).Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2008; 17: 416-419
- Sodium and potassium intake patterns and trends in South Korea.J Hum Hypertens. 2013; 27: 298-303
Kramer M, Chen SC, Gebauer SK, et al. Estimating the subject by treatment interaction in non-replicated crossover diet studies. Proceedings of the 23rd Annual Conference on Applied Statistics in Agriculture, 2011. https://www.ars.usda.gov/sp2UserFiles/person/3122/KramerEtAl-KSU2011.pdf. Accessed July 24, 2012.
- Homeostasis model assessment: Insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia. 1985; 28: 412-419
- Effects of the National Cholesterol Education Program's Step I and Step II dietary intervention programs on cardiovascular disease risk factors: A meta-analysis.Am J Clin Nutr. 1999; 69: 632-646
- Effect of a Mediterranean-style diet on endothelial dysfunction and markers of vascular inflammation in the metabolic syndrome: A randomized trial.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1440-1446
- Effect of alcohol consumption on biological markers associated with risk of coronary heart disease: Systematic review and meta-analysis of interventional studies.BMJ. 2011; 342: d636
- Effect of weight loss, independent of change in diet composition, on apolipoprotein AI kinetic in men with metabolic syndrome.J Lipid Res. 2013; 54: 232-237
- Lipids, lipoproteins, and exercise.J Cardiopulm Rehabil. 2002; 22: 385-398
- The effect of exercise on the cardiovascular risk factors constituting the metabolic syndrome: A meta-analysis of controlled trials.Sports Med. 2013; 43: 121-133
- Trans fatty acids: Effects on metabolic syndrome, heart disease and diabetes.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2009; 5: 335-344
- Effects of protein, monounsaturated fat, and carbohydrate intake on blood pressure and serum lipids: Results of the OmniHeart randomized trial.JAMA. 2005; 294: 2455-2464
- Efficacy of a Therapeutic Lifestyle Change/Step 2 diet in moderately hypercholesterolemic middle-aged and elderly female and male subjects.J Lipid Res. 2002; 43: 264-273
- Caloric restriction, the traditional Okinawan diet, and healthy aging: The diet of the world's longest-lived people and its potential impact on morbidity and life span.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007; 1114: 434-455
- The Okinawan diet: Health implications of a low-calorie, nutrient-dense, antioxidant-rich dietary pattern low in glycemic load.J Am Coll Nutr. 2009; 28: 500S-516S
- Kimchi, a fermented vegetable, improves serum lipid profiles in healthy young adults: Randomized clinical trial.J Med Food. 2013; 16: 223-229
- Fermented kimchi reduces body weight and improves metabolic parameters in overweight and obese patients.Nutr Res. 2011; 31: 436-443
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical trials of the effects of low carbohydrate diets on cardiovascular risk factors.Obes Rev. 2012; 13: 1048-1066
- The effect of a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet on serum high density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglyceride.Eur J Clin Nutr. 1998; 52: 728-732
- Components of a cardioprotective diet: New insights.Circulation. 2011; 123: 2870-2891
- Inflammatory biomarkers for predicting cardiovascular disease.Clin Biochem. 2013; 46: 1353-1371
- Responses to inflammatory markers to a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet: Effects of energy intake.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 83: 774-779
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Rural Development Administration, Jeonju, Republic of Korea 560-500: This work is carried out with the support of Research Program for Agricultural Science and Technology Development, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration, Republic of Korea (Project No. PJ007208), and the Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture.
This trial is registered at ClinicalTrials.gov ID: NCT01617525.