Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
United States Census Bureau. Computer and Internet Access in the United States: 2012. http://www.census.gov/hhes/computer/. Accessed July 31, 2014.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Practice tips: Telehealth: Challenges and Opportunities. 2013. http://www.eatright.org/HealthProfessionals/content.aspx?id=11276. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- Management of obesity: Attitudes and practices of Australian dietitians.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000; 24: 701-710
- Survey of dietetic management of overweight and obesity and comparison with best practice criteria.Nutr Diet. 2003; 60: 177-184
- Dietitians Association of Australia Best Practice Guidelines for the Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: Report to Inform the 2011 Revision of the 2005 Guidelines.Dietitians Association of Australia, Canberra, Australia2012
- Management of adult overweight and obesity: Consultation characteristics and treatment approaches of private practice dietitians.Nutr Diet. 2013; 70: 113-119
- The use of telemedicine to assess and advise patients regarding dietary treatment of hyperphosphataemia.EDTNA ERCA J. 2005; 31: 215-218
- A comparison of diabetes education administered through telemedicine versus in person.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: 1002-1007
- TECNOB study: Ad interim results of a randomized controlled trial of a multidisciplinary telecare intervention for obese patients with type-2 diabetes.Clin Pract Epidemiol Ment Health. 2011; 7: 44-50
- The effectiveness of telemedicine for weight management in the MOVE! Program.J Rural Health. 2014; 30: 113-119
- Telehealth videoconferencing: Improving home parenteral nutrition patient care to rural areas of Ontario, Canada.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2007; 31: 234-239
- Interactive videoconferencing improves nutrition intervention in a rural population.J Am Diet Assoc. 2001; 101: 173-174
- Preliminary experience of allied health assessments delivered face to face and by videoconference to a residential facility for elderly people.J Telemed Telecare. 2003; 9: 230-233
Dietitians of Canada. Dietitians in tele-health services. 2013. http://www.dietitians.ca/Dietitians-Views/Health-Care-System/Tele-health-Services.aspx. Accessed June 13, 2014.
American Telemedicine Association. Core operational guidelines for telehealth services involving provider-patient interactions. 2014. http://www.americantelemed.org/docs/default-source/standards/core-operational-guidelines-for-telehealth-services.pdf?sfvrsn=2. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Nutrition Care Process and Model: ADA adopts road map to quality care and outcomes management.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 1061-1072
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Nutrition terminology reference manual (eNCPT): Dietetics language for nutrition care. http://ncpt.webauthor.com. Accessed May 7, 2015.
- 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and The Obesity Society.Circulation. 2014; 129: S102-S138
- Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults, Adolescents, and Children in Australia.Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra, Australia2013
- Position of The American Dietetic Association: Weight management.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 330-346
US Department of Health and Human Services. Summary of the HIPAA security rule. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/srsummary.html. Accessed February 22, 2015.
US Department of Health and Human Services. Summary of the HIPAA privacy rule. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/index.html. Accessed February 22, 2015.
- HIPAA compliance from a private practice purview.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1341-1346
Dietitians Association of Australia. Telehealth/Technology-based Clinical Consultations. 2014. http://daa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Final_Telehealth-Technology-based-Clinical-ConsultationsDEC2014.pdf. Accessed May 5, 2014.
- Practical aspects of telehealth: Set-up and preparation for video consultations.Intern Med J. 2013; 43: 1133-1136
- Clinical telehealth across the disciplines: Lessons learned.Telemed J E Health. 2008; 14: 720-725
- Exploring dietitians’ verbal and nonverbal communication skills for effective dietitian–patient communication.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2008; 21: 502-511
- The value of empathy in dietetic consultations. A pilot study to investigate its effect on satisfaction, autonomy and agreement.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2005; 18: 181-185
- ‘If you listen to me properly, I feel good’: A qualitative examination of patient experiences of dietetic consultations.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2012; 25: 275-284
- Content and style comparison of physician communication in teledermatology and in-person visits.Telemed J E Health. 2013; 19: 509-514
- The continuing need to investigate the nature and content of teleconsultation communication using interaction analysis techniques.J Telemed Telecare. 2011; 17: 55-64
- Temporal changes in bias of body mass index scores based on self-reported height and weight.Int J Obes (Lond). 2013; 37: 461-467
- How accurate is web-based self-reported height, weight, and body mass index in young adults?.J Med Internet Res. 2014; 16: e4
- The accuracy of weight reported in a web-based obesity treatment program.Telemed J E Health. 2011; 17: 696-699
- Diagnostic performance of body mass index to identify obesity as defined by body adiposity: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Obes (Lond). 2010; 34: 791-799
- Accuracy of self-reported waist and hip measurements in 4492 EPIC–Oxford participants.Public Health Nutr. 2004; 7: 723-727
- Video instructions improve accuracy of self-measures of waist circumference compared with written instructions.Public Health Nutr. 2011; 14: 1192-1199
- Effects of body size and sociodemographic characteristics on differences between self-reported and measured anthropometric data in middle-aged men and women: The EPIC-Norfolk study.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2011; 65: 357-367
- The reliability and validity of using clothing size as a proxy for waist circumference measurement in adults.Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2011; 36: 183-190
- Home food and exercise environments of normal-weight and overweight adults.Am J Health Behav. 2011; 35: 618-626
- Serving bowl selection biases the amount of food served.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012; 44: 66-70
- Behavior therapy and cognitive-behavioral therapy of obesity: Is there a difference?.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 92-99
- Effectiveness of web-based interventions in achieving weight loss and weight loss maintenance in overweight and obese adults: A systematic review with meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2010; 11: 306-321
- Interactive computer-based interventions for weight loss or weight maintenance in overweight or obese people.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 8: CD007675
- eHealth interventions for the prevention and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: A systematic review with meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2015; 16: 376-392
- Mobile applications for weight management: Theory-based content analysis.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 583-589
- Evidence-based strategies in weight-loss mobile apps.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 576-582
- Effect of behavioural techniques and delivery mode on effectiveness of weight management: Systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression.Obes Rev. 2014; 15: 598-609
- The impact of extended care on the long-term maintenance of weight loss: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2012; 13: 509-517
- Asynchronous virtual visits for the follow-up of chronic conditions.Telemed J E Health. 2014; 20: 669-672
- Optimization of remotely delivered intensive lifestyle treatment for obesity using the Multiphase Optimization Strategy: Opt-IN study protocol.Contemp Clin Trials. 2014; 38: 251-259
- Global, regional, and national prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980-2013: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.Lancet. 2014; 384: 766-781
This article was written by Megan E. Rollo, PhD, APD
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT M. J. Hutchesson is supported by a National Heart Foundation Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (no. 100177). J. R. Harvey and R. A. Krukowski are supported by National Institutes of Health grant no. R01 DK056746 from the National Institutes of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disorders. R. A. Krukowski is supported by National Institutes of Health grant no. R01 DK097158 from the National Institutes of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disorders.