Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011-2012.J Am Med Assoc. 2014; 311: 806-814
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The health effects of overweight and obesity. http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/effects/index.html?s_cid=tw_ob245. Published 2013. Revised December 6, 2013. Accessed July 15, 2014.
- Use of the nutrition facts label in chronic disease management: Results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 628-632
- Use of food nutrition labels is associated with lower fat intake.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 45-53
- Who uses nutrition labeling, and what effects does label use have on diet quality?.J Nutr Educ. 1995; 27: 163-172
- Do nutrition labels improve dietary outcomes?.Health Econ. 2008; 17: 695-708
- Consumer understanding and use of nutrition labelling: A systematic review.Public Health Nutr. 2005; 8: 21-28
- Consumers' use of nutritional labels: A review of research studies and issues.Acad Market Sci Rev. 2006; 10
- Use of nutrition facts panels among adults who make household food purchasing decisions.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2006; 38: 360-364
- Food nutrition label use is associated with demographic, behavioral, and psychosocial factors and dietary intake among African Americans in North Carolina.J Am Diet Assoc. 2005; 105: 392-402
- The importance of population-wide sodium reduction as a means to prevent cardiovascular disease and stroke a call to action from the american heart association.Circulation. 2011; 123: 1138-1143
- US trends in prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension, 1988-2008.J Am Med Assoc. 2010; 303: 2043-2050
- Consumers’ ability to perform tasks using nutrition labels.J Nutr Educ. 1998; 30: 210-217
- Consumer preferences for front-of-pack calories labelling.Public Health Nutr. 2008; 11: 203-213
- A review of European research on consumer response to nutrition information on food labels.J Public Health. 2007; 15: 385-399
- The impact of variations in a fact-based front-of-package nutrition labeling system on consumer comprehension.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114 (e848): 843-854
- Nutrition knowledge, and use and understanding of nutrition information on food labels among consumers in the UK.Appetite. 2010; 55: 177-189
Let’s Move. Eat healthy: Empower consumers. http://www.letsmove.gov/. Published 2013. Accessed July 15, 2014.
US Food and Drug Administration. Front of package labeling initiative. http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/LabelingNutrition/ucm202726.htm. Published 2013. Revised May 17, 2013. Accessed July 15, 2014.
- Location, location, location: Eye-tracking evidence that consumers preferentially view prominently positioned nutrition information.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1704-1711
- Nutrition label use partially mediates the relationship between attitude toward healthy eating and overall dietary quality among college students.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 414-418
- Development of a color-coded bilingual food label for low-literacy Latino caretakers.J Nutr Educ. 2000; 32: 152-160
- Patient understanding of food labels: The role of literacy and numeracy.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 31: 391-398
- Eye tracking and nutrition label use: A review of the literature and recommendations for label enhancement.Food Policy. 2012; 37: 378-382
Grocery Manufacturers Association and Food Marketing Institute. Food and beverage industry launches Nutrition Keys front-of-pack nutrition labeling initiative to inform consumers and combat obesity. http://www.factsupfront.org/Newsroom. Published January 24, 2011. Accessed October 18, 2014.
- 2011 compendium of physical activities: A second update of codes and MET values.Med Sci Sport Exerc. 2011; 43: 1575-1581
- Quick assessment of literacy in primary care: The Newest Vital Sign.Ann Fam Med. 2005; 3: 514-522
- Impact of different food label formats on healthiness evaluation and food choice of consumers: A randomized-controlled study.BMC Public Health. 2009; 9: 184
- The science on front-of-package food labels.Public Health Nutr. 2013; 16: 430-439
- Perception of front-of-pack labels according to social characteristics, nutritional knowledge and food purchasing habits.Public Health Nutr. 2013; 16: 392-402
- Association of perception of front-of-pack labels with dietary, lifestyle and health characteristics.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e90971
- The efficacy of a daily self-weighing weight loss intervention using smart scales and e-mail.Obesity. 2013; 21: 1789-1797
- Self-weighing in weight gain prevention and weight loss trials.Ann Behav Med. 2005; 30: 210-216
- Self-weighing frequency is associated with weight gain prevention over 2 years among working adults.Int J Behav Med. 2012; 19: 351-358
- A randomised controlled trial of the effectiveness of self-weighing as a weight loss intervention.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014; 11: 1-9
- Consistent self-monitoring of weight: A key component of successful weight loss maintenance.Obesity. 2007; 15: 3091-3096
- A Theory of Objective Self Awareness.Academic Press, Oxford, UK1972
- Predictors of nutrition label viewing during food purchase decision making: An eye tracking investigation.Public Health Nutr. 2012; 15: 189-197
- Health motivation and product design determine consumers’ visual attention to nutrition information on food products.Public Health Nutr. 2010; 13: 1099-1106
- Strangers to Ourselves: Discovering the Adaptive Unconscious.Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA2009
- Counter-advertising may reduce parent's susceptibility to front-of-package promotions on unhealthy foods.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 467-474
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Funding for this work was provided by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s Healthy Eating Research program (HER Round 6 grant no. 69295).