Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Sugar-sweetened beverages and weight gain in children and adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98: 1084-1102
- To what extent have sweetened beverages contributed to the obesity epidemic?.Public Health Nutr. 2010; 14: 499-509
- Effects of soft drink consumption on nutrition and health: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Public Health. 2007; 97: 667-675
- Sugar-sweetened beverages and health: Where does the evidence stand?.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 94: 1161-1162
- Resolved: There is sufficient scientific evidence that decreasing sugar-sweetened beverage consumption will reduce the prevalence of obesity and obesity-related diseases.Obes Rev. 2013; 14: 606-619
- Intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and weight gain: A systematic review.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 84: 274-288
- Report of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010, to the Secretary of Agriculture and the Secretary of Health and Human Services.US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Washington, DC2010
- Food Based Dietary Guidelines in the WHO European Region.WHO Regional Office for Europe Nutrition and Food Security Programme, Copenhagen, Denmark2003
- Recommendations for prevention of childhood obesity.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: S229-S253
- Advanced policy options to regulate sugar-sweetened beverages to support public health.J Public Health Policy. 2012; 33: 75-88
- Sugar-sweetened beverages and obesity prevention: Policy recommendations.J policy Anal Manage. 2011; 30: 662-664
Ballotpedia: An interactive almanac of US politics. City of Berkeley Sugary Beverages and Soda Tax Question, Measure D (November 2014). 2014. http://ballotpedia.org/City_of_Berkeley_Sugary_Beverages_and_Soda_Tax_Question,_Measure_D_(November_2014). Accessed December 21, 2014.
- Will reducing sugar-sweetened beverage consumption reduce obesity? Evidence supporting conjecture is strong, but evidence when testing effect is weak.Obes Rev. 2013; 14: 620-633
- Assessing the potential effectiveness of food and beverage taxes and subsidies for improving public health: A systematic review of prices, demand and body weight outcomes.Obes Rev. 2013; 14: 110-128
- A systematic review of the effectiveness of taxes on nonalcoholic beverages and high-in-fat foods as a means to prevent obesity trends.Clinicoeco Outcomes Res. 2013; 5: 519-543
- Impact of water intake on energy intake and weight status: A systematic review.Nutr Rev. 2010; 68: 505-521
- Association between water consumption and body weight outcomes: A systematic review.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98: 282-299
- Beverages and body weight: challenges in the evidence-based review process of the Carbohydrate Subcommittee from the 2010 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee.Nutr Rev. 2012; 70: S111-S120
- Diet beverages and the risk of obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease: A review of the evidence.Nutr Rev. 2013; 71: 433-440
- Catechin- and caffeine-rich teas for control of body weight in humans.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98: 1682S-1693S
- Coffee, decaffeinated coffee, and tea consumption in relation to incident type 2 diabetes mellitus: A systematic review with meta-analysis.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 2053-2063
- Effects of tea and coffee on cardiovascular disease risk.Food Funct. 2012; 3: 575-591
Australian National Health and Medical Research Council. Eat for health: Dietary guidelines. 2013. http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines/publications/n55. Accessed April 22, 2013.
- Fruit juice consumption is associated with improved nutrient adequacy in children and adolescents: The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2003-2006.Public Health Nutr. 2012; 15: 1871-1878
- Major scientific advances with dairy foods in nutrition and health.J Dairy Sci. 2006; 89: 1207-1221
- Meeting and exceeding dairy recommendations: Effects of dairy consumption on nutrient intakes and risk of chronic disease.Nutr Rev. 2013; 71: 209-223
- Compared with casein or total milk protein, digestion of milk soluble proteins is too rapid to sustain the anabolic postprandial amino acid requirement.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 84: 1070-1079
- Associations between dairy consumption and body weight: A review of the evidence and underlying mechanisms.Nutr Res Re. 2011; 24: 72-95
- Effects of dairy intake on body weight and fat: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 96: 735-747
- Nutritional epidemiology: New perspectives for understanding the diet-disease relationship?.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2013; 67: 424-429
Human subjects research. 45 Federal Register (2010) (codified at 45 CFR §46).
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: The PRISMA statement.Open Med. 2009; 3: e123-e130
- Methodology checklist 3: Cohort studies.in: SIGN 50: A Guideline Developers' Handbook. The Network, Edinburgh, Scotland2012
- Methodology checklist 4: Randomized controlled trials.in: SIGN 50: A Guideline Developers' Handbook. The Network, Edinburgh, Scotland2012
- Quality Assessment Tool Project Report.Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health, Ottawa, ON, Canada2012
- Systems to rate the strength of scientific evidence.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2002 (AHRQ Publication No. 02-E016)
- Replacing sweetened caloric beverages with drinking water is associated with lower energy intake.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007; 15: 3013-3022
- Drinking water is associated with weight loss in overweight dieting women independent of diet and activity.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008; 16: 2481-2488
- Soda consumption and the risk of stroke in men and women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 95: 1190-1199
- Sugar-sweetened and artificially sweetened beverage consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes in men.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 93: 1321-1327
- Changes in water and beverage intake and long-term weight changes: Results from three prospective cohort studies.Int J Obes (Lond). 2013; 37: 1378-1385
- Plain-water intake and risk of type 2 diabetes in young and middle-aged women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 95: 1454-1460
- Dietary fat and coronary heart disease: A comparison of approaches for adjusting for total energy intake and modeling repeated dietary measurements.Am J Epidemiol. 1999; 149: 531-540
- Nutritional Epidemiology.3rd ed. Oxford University Press, New York, NY2013
- Effects of decreasing sugar-sweetened beverage consumption on body weight in adolescents: A randomized, controlled pilot study.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: 673-680
- A randomized trial of sugar-sweetened beverages and adolescent body weight.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1407-1416
- Effects of replacing the habitual consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages with milk in Chilean children.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 88: 605-611
- Replacing caloric beverages with water or diet beverages for weight loss in adults: Main results of the Choose Healthy Options Consciously Everyday (CHOICE) randomized clinical trial.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 95: 555-563
- Effects of caffeine on human health.Food Addit Contam. 2003; 20: 1-30
- Soft drinks and body weight development in childhood: Is there a relationship?.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2009; 12: 596-600
National Health and Medical Research Council. New clinical practice guidelines for managing overweight and obesity. 2013. http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/media/releases/2013/new-clinical-practice-guidelines-managing-overweight-and-obesity. Accessed August 20, 2013.
- Sugar-sweetened beverages, obesity, type 2 diabetes metillus, and cardiovascular disease.Circulation. 2010; 121: 1356-1364
- Sweetened beverage consumption and risk of coronary heart disease in women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 1037-1042
- Adolescent dairy product consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 94: 854-861
- Metabolic effects of caffeine in humans: Lipid oxidation or futile cycling?.Am J Clin Nutr. 2004; 79: 40-46
- Effect of green tea catechins with or without caffeine on anthropometric measures: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 91: 73-81
Euromonitor International. Soft drinks: Euromonitor from trade sources/national statistics. 2015. Euromonitor Passport Database website. http://www.euromonitor.com/. Accessed January 5, 2015.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT There is no funding to disclose.