Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- American Cancer Society guidelines on nutrition and physical activity for cancer prevention.CA Cancer J Clin. 2012; 62: 30-67
- Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity, and the Prevention of Cancer: A Global Perspective.AICR, Washington, DC2007
- Cancer survivors' adherence to lifestyle behavior recommendations and associations with health-related quality of life: Results from the American Cancer Society's SCS-II.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 2198-2204
- Prevalence of fruit and vegetable consumption and physical activity by race/ethnicity in the United States, 2005.MMWR Weekly. 2007; 56 (391-304)
- Methods for Measuring Cancer Disparities: Using Data Relevant to Healthy People 2010 Cancer-Related Objectives.National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD2005
- Geographic proximity and racial disparities in cancer clinical trial participation.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2010; 8: 1343-1351
- 2011 Population Estimates: National Characteristics.US Census Bureau, Washington, DC2012
- SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2009 (Vintage 2009 Populations).National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD2012
- PRevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011-2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 806-814
- Health characteristics of adults aged 55 years and over: United States, 2004-2007.Natl Health Stat Report. 2009; : 1-31
- Summary health statistics for the US population: National Health Interview Survey, 2007.Vital Health Stat. 2008; : 1-104
- Disparities in breast cancer characteristics and outcomes by race/ethnicity.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011; 127: 729-738
- A rapid food screener to assess fat and fruit and vegetable intake.Am J Prev Med. 2000; 18: 284-288
- Development of a short acculturation scale for Hispanics.Hisp J Behav Sci. 1987; 9: 183-205
The Short Acculturation Scale For Hispanics (SASH). Updated September 1995. http://dgim.ucsf.edu/diversity/SASH_manual.pdf. Accessed September 23, 2014.
- Quick assessment of literacy in primary care: The newest vital sign.Ann Fam Med. 2005; 3: 514-522
- Collection of food and dietary supplement intake data: What we eat in America-NHANES.J Nutr. 2003; 133: 590S-600S
NutritionQuest. Assessment & Analysis Services: Questionnaires and Screeners. 2011; http://nutritionquest.com/assessment/list-of-questionnaires-and-screeners/. Accessed November 1, 2011.
- Every Bite Counts: Nutrition Tips for Breast Cancer Survivors.Nutrition Services Department, God's Love We Deliver, New York, NY2009
- Nutrition education: Linking research, theory, and practice.Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2008; 17: 176-179
- Human agency in social cognitive theory.Am Psychol. 1989; 44: 1175-1184
- The Transtheoretical Model of Health Behavior Change.Am J Health Promot. 1997; 12: 38-48
- Improper analysis of trials randomised using stratified blocks or minimisation.Stat Med. 2012; 31: 328-340
- A pilot randomized controlled trial of a commercial diet and exercise weight loss program in minority breast cancer survivors.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013; 21: 65-76
- A culturally specific dietary plan to manage weight gain among African American breast cancer survivors: A feasibility study.Nutr Health. 2012; 21: 97-105
- Was race a factor in the outcomes of the Women's Healthy Eating and Living Study?.Cancer. 2011; 117: 3805-3813
- Influence of a diet very high in vegetables, fruit, and fiber and low in fat on prognosis following treatment for breast cancer: The Women's Healthy Eating and Living (WHEL) randomized trial.JAMA. 2007; 298: 289-298
- Dietary fat reduction and breast cancer outcome: Interim efficacy results from the Women's Intervention Nutrition Study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006; 98: 1767-1776
- PRevalence and trends in obesity among us adults, 1999-2008.JAMA. 2010; 303: 235-241
- Overweight, obesity, and blood pressure: The effects of modest weight reduction.Obes Res. 2000; 8: 270-278
- The beneficial effects of modest weight loss on cardiovascular risk factors.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1997; 21: S5-S9
- Beneficial health effects of modest weight loss.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1992; 16: 397-415
- Benefits of modest weight loss in improving cardiovascular risk factors in overweight and obese individuals with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 1481-1486
- Minority Health: Recent Finding.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2009
- Family support and asthma outcomes on adolescents: Barriers to adherence as a mediator.J Adolesc Health. 2010; 47: 472-478
- Adherence to cardiovascular disease medications: Does patient-provider race/ethnicity and language concordance matter?.J Gen Intern Med. 2010; 25: 1172-1177
- Use of recovery biomarkers to calibrate nutrient consumption self-reports in the Women's Health Initiative.Am J Epidemiol. 2008; 167: 1247-1259
- Food-group and nutrient-density intakes by Hispanic and Latino backgrounds in the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 1487-1498
Supplementary materials: Table 3 is available at www.andjrnl.org
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT Supported by National Cancer Institute/National Institutes of Health R21CA152903, and in part by Columbia University's Clinical and Translational Science Award grant no. UL1TR000040 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences/National Institutes of Health.
Clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT01414062.