Editor's Note: This is the fifth article in a series on the Academy's history from 1990 to the present. Other articles in the series are available at www.andjrnl.org/content/amh.When the concept of corporate alliances
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Profits for nonprofits: Find a corporate partner.Harvard Bus Rev. 1996; 74 (55-59): 47-50
Worth S. Moving from corporate sponsorship to corporate partnership. August 2008. American Society of Association Executives website. http://www.asaecenter.org/Resources/articledetail.cfm?ItemNumber=35829. Accessed February 3, 2013.
Japsen B. AMA, Sunbeam may resolve suit. Chicago Tribune. July 23, 1998. Chicago Tribune website. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-07-23/business/9807230365_1_settlement-with-sunbeam-corp-ama-million-breach-of-contract-dispute. Accessed February 23, 2013.
Challenge in AMA after Sunbeam deal. June 12, 1998. New York Times website. http://www.nytimes.com/1998/06/12/us/challenge-in-ama-after-sunbeam-deal.html. Accessed February 23, 2013.
- Carry the Flame.American Dietetic Association, Chicago, IL1990: 312 (415, 448)
- Effects of partnerships: 1 + 1 = much more than 2.J Am Diet Assoc. 2001; 101: 1304
- Earning the right to be called “most valued source.”.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 111: 343
Schifrin M. Partner or perish. May 21, 2001. Forbes website. http://www.forbes.com/best/2001/0521/026.html. Accessed March 2, 2013.
IEG 2011/2012 Sponsorship Survey for Associations. IEG website. http://www.sponsorship.com/IEG/files/6f/6f3c9947-3ce4-4965-8d46-787c72eb2a2c.pdf. Accessed April 11, 2013.
Motley A. The sponsorship package. Associations Now. December 2005. American Society for Association Executives website. http://www.asaecenter.org/Resources?ANowDetail.cfm?Itemnumber=14496. Accessed March 2, 2013.
Andrews J. Behind the numbers: Sponsorship’s spending decline. January 20, 2010. IEG website. http://www.sponsorship.com/About-IEG/Sponsorship-Blogs/Jim-Andrews/January-2010/Behind-The-Numbers–Sponsorship-s-Spending-Decline.aspx. Accessed March 14, 2013.
- Extending our message for the good of the public and the profession.J Am Diet Assoc. 1995; 95: 497
- Sponsors, partners, alliances: “What’s in it for me?”.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1281
- Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Total diet approach to healthy eating.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 307-317
Austin JE. The Collaboration Challenge: Making the Most of Strategic Alliances between Nonprofits and Corporations. Harvard Business School Social Enterprise Series No. 6. 1999. Harvard Business School website. http://www.hbs.edu/socialenterprise/pdf/SE6CollaborationChallenge.pdf. Accessed April 10, 2013.
Why Become an Academy Sponsor? Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website. http://www.eatright.org/HealthProfessionals/content.aspx?id=10665. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Extending reach of science-based positions, messages.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1284
- The Academy’s modern history: Advancing the dietetics profession through the foundation’s philanthropy.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 834-855
American Dietetic Association and ConAgra Foods renew national Home Food Safety program educating consumers on safe handling and preparation of food [press release]. November 8, 2010. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website. http://www.eatright.org/Media/content.aspx?id=6442459584#.UWW3LspvAg8. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Networking groups: Advancing the nutrition and dietetics through practice, culture, and geography.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 326-343
- Corporate alliances: A strategy for success.J Am Diet Assoc. 2000; 100: 1124
- Our role in achieving food security for all.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1312
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Addressing world hunger, malnutrition, and food insecurity.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 1046-1057
This article was written by Karen Stein, MFA, freelance writer, Traverse City, MI, consultant editor for the Nutrition Care Manual and a former editor of the Journal.