Main outcome measures
Statistical analyses performed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
US Department of Agriculture. National School Lunch Program fact sheet. http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/NSLPFactSheet.pdf. Published 2012. Updated September, 2013. Accessed October 29, 2013.
US Department of Agriculture. National School Lunch Program: Participation and meals served. http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/slsummar.htm. Published 2013. Updated October 17, 2013. Accessed October 29, 2013.
- Stallings V.A. Suitor C.W. Taylor C.L. School Meals: Building Blocks for Healthy Children. National Academies Press, Washington, DC2009
Nutrition Standards in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs; Final Rule. 77 Federal Register 4088-4167 (2012).
US Department of Agriculture. Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Governance/Legislation/CNR_2010.htm. Published 2010. Updated August 2, 2013. Accessed August 27, 2013.
US Department of Agriculture. Menu planning in the National School Lunch Program. http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/menu/menu_planning.doc. Published September 1, 2000. Accessed October 29, 2013.
- Reliability and accuracy of real-time visualization techniques for measuring school cafeteria tray waste: Validating the quarter-waste method.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 470-474
- Validity and reliability of a behavior-based food coding system for measuring fruit, 100% fruit juice, vegetable, and sweetened beverage consumption: Results from the Girls Health Enrichment Multisite Studies.Prev Med. 2004; 38: S24-S33
- NDSR 2013 User Manual.University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN2013
- Dietary sources of nutrients among US adults, 1994 to 1996.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 921-930
- Impact of the new U.S. Department of Agriculture school meal standards on food selection, consumption, and waste.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 46: 388-394
Newman C. Fruit and vegetable consumption by school lunch participants: Implications for the success of new nutrition standards, ERR-154. http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/err-economic-research-report/err154.aspx. Published August, 2013. Updated August 27, 2013. Accessed September 3, 2013.
- A randomized school trial of environmental strategies to encourage fruit and vegetable consumption among children.Health Educ Behav. 2004; 31: 65-76
- Smarter lunchrooms can address new school lunchroom guidelines and childhood obesity.J Pediatr. 2013; 162: 867-869
- Pre-sliced fruit in school cafeterias: Children's selection and intake.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: 477-480
- Attractive names sustain increased vegetable intake in schools.Prev Med. 2012; 55: 330-332
- School Nutrition Dietary Assessment Study III: Volume II: Student Participation and Dietary Intakes—Final Report.Mathematica Policy Research, Princeton, NJ2007
- Middle-school students' school lunch consumption does not meet the new Institute of Medicine's National School Lunch Program recommendations.Public Health Nutr. 2011; 14: 1876-1881
- Food choice, plate waste and nutrient intake of elementary- and middle-school students participating in the US National School Lunch Program.Public Health Nutr. 2014; 17: 1255-1263
- School lunch waste among middle school students: Nutrients consumed and costs.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: 114-121
- Introducing systems change in the schools: The case of school luncheons and vending machines.Am J Community Psychol. 2007; 39: 335-345
- Comparison of five teacher actions to encourage children's new food acceptance.Ann Behav Med. 1999; 21: 20-26
- The influence of a verbal prompt on school lunch fruit consumption: A pilot study.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2007; 4: 6
- Promotions to increase lower-fat food choices among students in secondary schools: Description and outcomes of TACOS (Trying Alternative Cafeteria Options in Schools).Public Health Nutr. 2004; 7: 665-674
- Promoting the selection of low-fat milk in elementary school cafeterias in an inner-city Latino community: Evaluation of an intervention.Am J Public Health. 1998; 88: 427-433
US Department of Agriculture. Team nutrition. http://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/team-nutrition. Published 2013. Updated March 19, 2014. Accessed March 31, 2014.
Center for Public Policy Priorities. State of Texas Children 2012 -Texas KIDS COUNT annual data book. http://www.cppp.org/sotc/pdf/TKC2012_Final_1-page_view.pdf. Published April 5, 2012. Accessed October 29, 2013.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST The authors have no potential conflict of interest to report.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was supported by funding from the National Institutes of Health to Karen W. Cullen (no. R01HD068349). The project was funded in part by federal funds from the USDA/Agricultural Research Service under cooperative agreement no. 6250-51000-053.