Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 491-497
- Direct medical cost of overweight and obesity in the USA: A quantitative systematic review.Obes Rev. 2011; 12: 50-61
US Census Bureau. Hispanic Heritage Month. 2012. http://www.census.gov/population/hispanic/data/2012.html. Accessed November 25, 2014.
- Effect of degree of weight loss on health benefits.Obesity Res. 1995; 3: 211s-216s
- Effectiveness of Primary Care Interventions for Weight Management in Children and Adolescents: An Updated, Targeted Systematic Review for the USPSTF.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US), Rockville, MD2010 Jan (Report No. 10-05144-EF-1)
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 393-403
- Ethnic minorities and weight control research priorities: Where are we now and where do we need to be?.Prev Med. 2008; 47: 583-586
- One-year results of the Think Health! study of weight management in primary care practices.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2012; 20: 1249-1257
- The Latino Health Project: Pilot testing a culturally adapted behavioral weight loss intervention in obese and overweight Latino adults.Ethn Dis. 2012; 22: 51-57
DeNavas-Walt C, Proctor BD, Smith JC. Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2011. 2012. http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/p60-243.pdf. Accessed November 25, 2014.
- Hispanics and health insurance coverage: The rising disparity.Med Care. 2008; 46: 1086-1092
- Food insecurity is associated with chronic disease among low-income NHANES participants.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 304-310
- The impact of language barriers on the health care of Latinos in the United States: A review of the literature and guidelines for practice.J Midwif Womens Health. 2002; 47: 80-96
- Effectiveness of a community health worker intervention among African American and Latino adults with type 2 diabetes: A randomized controlled trial.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: 2253-2260
- Evaluating clinic and community-based lifestyle interventions for obesity reduction in a low-income Latino neighborhood: Vivamos Activos Fair Oaks Program.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: 98
Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Accessed November 17, 2013.
- Case management to reduce risk of cardiovascular disease in a county health care system.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 1988-1995
- Health promotion from the perspective of social cognitive theory.Psychol Health. 1998; 13: 623-649
- The transtheoretical model of health behavior change.Am J Health Promot. 1997; 12: 38-48
- The CES-D scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population.Appl Psychol Measure. 1977; 1: 385-401
- Psychosocial functioning in the obese before and after weight reduction: Construct validity and responsiveness of the Obesity-Related Problems scale.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003; 27: 617-630
- US Household Food Security Survey Module—Spanish: Three-Stage Design, with Screeners. US Dept of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2012
- Longitudinal data analysis using generalized linear models.Biometrika. 1986; 73: 13-22
- A multiple comparison procedure for three- and four-armed controlled clinical trials.Stat Med. 1999; 18: 787-798
- Statistical Analysis with Missing Data.2nd ed. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ2002
Adam Gilden Tsai MD M. Treatment of obesity in primary care practice in the United States: A systematic review. J Gen Intern Med. 2009;24(9):1073-1079.
- A meta-analysis of psycho-behavioral obesity interventions among US multiethnic and minority adults.Prev Med. 2008; 47: 573-582
- Obesity treatment for socioeconomically disadvantaged patients in primary care practice.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 565-574
- One-year results of a community-based translation of the Diabetes Prevention Program: Healthy-Living Partnerships to Prevent Diabetes (HELP PD) Project.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 1451-1457
- Male inclusion in randomized controlled trials of lifestyle weight loss interventions.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2012; 20: 1234-1239
- Translating the Diabetes Prevention Program lifestyle intervention for weight loss into primary care: A randomized trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 113-121
- Treatment of obesity in primary care practice in the United States: A systematic review.J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24: 1073-1079
- Dietary and lifestyle interventions for weight management in adults from minority ethnic/non-White groups: A systematic review.Obes Rev. 2010; 11: 769-776
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was funded by National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute grant no. R01 HL089448, and the REDCap data management tools were supported by the National Institutes of Health (grant no. UL1 RR025744).