Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- The influence of dietary intake and meal pattern on blood glucose control in children and adolescents using intensive insulin treatment.Diabetologia. 2007; 50: 2044-2051
- Association of DASH diet with cardiovascular risk factors in youth with diabetes mellitus: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.Circulation. 2011; 123: 1410-1417
- Nutrition recommendations and interventions for diabetes: A position statement of the American Diabetes Association.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: S61-S78
- Nutritional management in children and adolescents with diabetes.Pediatr Diabetes. 2009; 10: 100-117
- Multiple indicators of poor diet quality in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes are associated with higher body mass index percentile but not glycemic control.J Am Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1728-1735
- Lipid abnormalities are prevalent in youth with type 1 and type 2 diabetes: The SEARCH for diabetes in youth study.J Pediatr. 2006; 149: 314-319
- Dietary intake among youth with diabetes: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 689-697
- Promoters and barriers to fruit, vegetable, and fast-food consumption among Urban, low-income African Americans—A qualitative approach.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 631-635
- Contextual factors influencing the eating behaviours of African American women: A focus group investigation.Ethn Health. 2002; 7: 133-147
- Qualitative investigation of factors contributing to effective nutrition education for Navajo families.Matern Child Health J. 2008; 12: S68-S75
- A social marketing approach to improving the nutrition of low-income women and children: An initial focus group study.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 1563-1568
- Why Americans eat what they do: Taste, nutrition, cost, convenience, and weight control concerns as influences on food consumption.J Am Diet Assoc. 1998; 98: 1118-1126
- Effect of socioeconomic status on food availability and cost of the dietary approaches to stop hypertension (DASH) dietary pattern.J Clin Hypertens. 2008; 10: 603-611
- Pricing effects on food choices.J Nutr. 2003; 133: 841S-843S
- Decision-making in the dairy aisle: Maximizing taste, health, cost and family considerations.Can J Diet Pract Res. 2008; 69: 66-70
- The cost of US foods as related to their nutritive value.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 92: 1181-1188
- Low energy density and high nutritional quality are each associated with higher diet costs in French adults.Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 86: 690-696
- Lower-energy-density diets are associated with higher monetary costs per kilocalorie and are consumed by women of higher socioeconomic status.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 814-822
- Energy density, energy costs and income—How are they related?.Public Health Nutr. 2010; 13: 1599-1608
- Less-energy-dense diets of low-income women in California are associated with higher energy-adjusted diet costs.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 1220-1226
- Are energy-dense foods really cheaper? Reexamining the relation between food price and energy density.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 90: 1397-1401
- Are Healthy Foods Really More Expensive? It Depends on How You Measure the Price.US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2012 (ERS Report No. 96)
- Energy-adjusted food costs make little economic sense.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 93: 861
- Less-energy-dense diets of low-income women in California are associated with higher energy-adjusted costs but not with higher daily diet costs.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 90: 701
- A nutritional intervention promoting a Mediterranean food pattern does not affect total daily dietary cost in North American Women in free-living conditions.J Nutr. 2008; 138: 54-59
- Costs of a self-selected, health-promoting diet among the participants of the Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 1275-1277
- A cost-analysis of adopting a healthful diet in a family-based obesity treatment program.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 645-656
- Is healthy eating for obese children necessarily more costly for families?.Br J Gen Pract. 2012; 63: e1-e5
- The Mediterranean diet: Does it have to cost more?.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 1621-1628
- Can low-income Americans afford to satisfy MyPyramid fruit and vegetable guidelines?.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2011; 43: 173-179
- The relationship between low income and household food expenditure patterns in Canada.Public Health Nutr. 2003; 6: 589-597
- Impact of type 1 diabetes mellitus on the family is reduced with the medical home, care coordination, and family-centered care.J Pediatr. 2012; 160: 861-867
- Maintaining a nutrient database in a changing marketplace: Keeping pace with changing food products—A research perspective.J Food Comp Anal. 2001; 14: 315-322
Schakel SSYBI. Sources of data for developing and maintaining a nutrient database. J Am Diet Assoc. 1988;88(10):1268-1271.
Guenther PM, Reedy J, Krebs-Smith SM, Reeve BB, Basiotis PP. Development and evaluation of the Healthy Eating Index-2005: Technical report. 2007. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/HealthyEatingIndex.htm. Accessed August 18, 2014.
- Nutrition and Your Health: Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2005. US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2005
- Development and evaluation of a method for calculating the Healthy Eating Index-2005 using the Nutrition Data System for Research.Public Health Nutr. 2011; 14: 306-313
- Development and validation of the nutrient-rich foods index: A tool to measure nutritional quality of foods.J Nutr. 2009; 139: 1549-1554
- Candidate measures of whole plant food intake are related to biomarkers of nutrition and health in the US population (NHANES 1999-2002).Nutr Res. 2012; 32: 251-259
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Survey Questionnaire. US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2002
- Prevalence of highly active adults—Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2007.Prev Med. 2010; 51: 139-143
Poverty thresholds 2008. 2010. http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/data/threshld/thresh08.html. Accessed August 18, 2014.
- Consumer Expenditure Surveys. US Bureau of Labor Statistics, Washington, DC2010
Carlson A, Lino M, Juan WY, Hanson K, Basiotis P. Thrifty food plan, 2006 http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/usda_food_plans_cost_of_food/TFP2006Report.pdf. Accessed September 4, 2014.
Carlson A, Lino M, Fungwe T. The low-cost, moderate-cost, and liberal food plans, 2007. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/MiscPubs/TFP2006Report.pdf. Accessed June 11, 2011.
- The quality and monetary value of diets consumed by adults in the United States.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 94: 1333-1339
- Food Spending Patterns of Low-Income Households.US Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2007 (Economic Information Bulletin No. 29-4)
- Managing values in personal food systems.Appetite. 2001; 36: 189-200
- Food choice: A conceptual model of the process.Appetite. 1996; 26: 247-265
- Shopping for fruits and vegetables. Food and retail qualities of importance to low-income households at the grocery store.Appetite. 2010; 54: 297-303
- Time scarcity and food choices: An overview.Appetite. 2006; 47: 204
- Designing effective nutrition interventions for adolescents.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: S52-S63
- How Much Do Americans Pay for Fruits and Vegetables?.US Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2004 (Agriculture Information Bulletin No. 790)
- Are children with type 1 diabetes consuming a healthful diet? A review of the current evidence and strategies for behavior change.Diabet Educ. 2009; 35: 97-107
- The Quality of Children's Diets in 2003-04 as Measured by the Healthy Eating Index-2005.US Department of Agriculture, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, Washington, DC2009 (Nutrition Insight No. 43)
US Census Bureau. Mean income in the past 12 months (in 2007 inflation-adjusted dollars) 2005-2007 American community survey 3-year estimates. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=ACS_07_3YR_S1902&prodType=table. Accessed September 4, 2014.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This research was supported by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Intramural Research Program (contract no. HHSN267200703434C).