Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
National diabetes fact sheet 2011. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/pdf/ndfs_2011.pdf. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Direct and indirect costs of diabetes in the United States. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-statistics/. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- Economic costs of diabetes in the U.S. in 2007.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 596-615
- Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: S62-S67
- Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes-2012.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: S11-S63
- A1C level and future risk of diabetes: A systematic review.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 1665-1673
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 393-403
- Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 1343-1350
- Effects of diet and exercise in preventing NIDDM in people with impaired glucose tolerance: The Da Qing IGT and diabetes study.Diabetes Care. 1997; 20: 537-544
Anaheim, California State and County quickfacts. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/0602000.html. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- The Science and Practice of Nutrition Support.Kendall/Hunt Publishing, Dubuque, IA2001
- Evidence-based nutrition principles and recommendations for the treatment and prevention of diabetes and related complications.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: S50-S60
- Nutrition recommendations and interventions for diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: S61-S78
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Evidence Analysis Library. http://www.adaevidencelibrary.com/template.cfm?template=guide_summary&key=621. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- Standards of medical care in diabetes-2010.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: S11-S61
- Improving V02max.ACSM Health Fitness J. 2005; 9: 94
- The Diabetes Risk Score.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: 725-731
- Diabetes Risk Calculator.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 1040-1045
- Translating the diabetes prevention program to primary care.Nursing Res. 2009; 58: 2-12
- Prevention of diabetes self-management program (PREDIAS): Effects on weight, metabolic risk factors, and behavioral outcomes.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 1143-1146
- Type 2 diabetes prevention in the real world.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 2465-2470
- The Indian Diabetes Prevention Programme shows that lifestyle modification and metformin prevent type 2 diabetes in Asian Indian subjects with impaired glucose tolerance (IDPP-1).Diabetologia. 2006; 49: 289-297
The A1C test. http://forecast.diabetes.org/diabetes-101/a1c-test. Accessed January 15, 2012.
- Meta-analysis: Glycosylated hemoglobin and cardiovascular disease in diabetes mellitus.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 141: 421-431
- A dietitian-delivered group nutrition program leads to reductions in dietary fat, serum cholesterol, and body weight: The Worcester Area Trial for counseling in hyperlipidemia.J Acad Nutr Diet. 1999; 99: 544-552
- The effectiveness of Medical Nutrition Therapy delivered by registered dietitians for disorders of lipid metabolism: A call for further research.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2008; 108: 233-239
- Standards of medical care in diabetes-2011.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: S11-S61
- Effect of weight loss with lifestyle intervention on risk of diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 2102-2107
- Importance of postprandial glucose levels as a target for glycemic control in type 2 diabetes.South Med Assoc. 2009; 102: 60-66
- Standards of medical care in diabetes-2009.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: S13-S61
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported by a Diabetes Care and Education Dietetic Practice Group/Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation Diabetes MNT Outcomes Research award. Anaheim Clinical Trials sponsored the trial because subjects were seen at the research site.