Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- The non-regulation of food intake in humans: Hope for reversing the epidemic of obesity.Physiol Behav. 2005; 86: 623-632
- Relationships between human thirst, hunger, drinking, and feeding.Physiol Behav. 2008; 94: 700-708
Prevalence of overweight, obesity, and extreme obesity among adults: United States, trends 1960-1962 through 2009-2010. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/underweight_adult_07_10/underweight_adult_07_10.pdf. Published 2012. Accessed September 22, 2013.
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 491-497
- Eating out in America, 1987-2000: Trends and nutritional correlates.Prev Med. 2004; 38: 243-249
- Role of food prepared away from home in the American diet, 1977-78 versus 1994-96: Changes and consequences.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2002; 34: 140-150
- Secular trends in dietary intake in the United States.Annu Rev Nutr. 2004; 24: 401-431
- Secular trends in patterns of self-reported food consumption of adult Americans: NHANES 1971-1975 to NHANES 1999-2002.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 84: 1215-1223
- Increasing consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among US adults: 1988-1994 to 1999-2004.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 372-381
- Snacking increased among U.S. adults between 1977 and 2006.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 325-332
- Does hunger and satiety drive eating anymore? Increasing eating occasions and decreasing time between eating occasions in the United States.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 91: 1342-1347
Sebastian RS, Wilkinson Enns C, Goldman JD. Snacking patterns of U.S. adults: What we eat in America, NHANES 2007-2008. Food Surveys Research Group Dietary Data Brief No. 4. http://ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=19476. Published June 2011, Accessed October 20, 2013.
BLS Report 1040. Women in the labor force: A databook. US Bureau of Labor Statistics. http://www.bls.gov/cps/wlf-databook-2012.pdf. Published 2013. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
Galinsky E, Auman K, Bond JT. Times are changing. Gender and generation at work and at home. Families and work institute. 2008 National Study of the Changing Workplace. http://familiesandwork.org/downloads/TimesAreChanging.pdf. Published 2011. Accessed November 14, 2013.
- American cuisine in the 20th century.Food Rev. 2000; 21: 2-7
US Department of Agriculture. Agricultural Marketing Service. Marketing Services Program. The dynamics of change in the US food marketing environment. Agriculture Handbook 728-3. http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/148268/2/Dynamics%20of%20Change.pdf. Published July 2008, Accessed November 14, 2013.
National Restaurant Association. Facts at a glance. http://www.restaurant.org/News-Research/Research/Facts-at-a-Glance. Accessed November 14, 2013.
- The change in weight perception of weight status among the overweight: Comparison of NHANES III (1988-1994) and 1999-2004 NHANES.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2008; 5: 9
Using the Food Guide Pyramid. US Department of Agriculture, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/Fpyr/guide.pdf. Accessed Oct. 23, 2013.
Sample menus for a 2000 calorie pattern. US Department of Agriculture. Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/downloads/Sample_Menus-2000Cals-DG2010.pdf. Accessed October 23, 2013.
Report of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. US Department of Agriculture, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-DGACReport.htm. Published 2011. Accessed August 7, 2013.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Data. NHANES I, II, III, 1990-2000, 2001-2002, 2003-2004, 2005-2006, 2007-2008, 2009-2010. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes_questionnaires.htm. Accessed July 15, 2013.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Response Rates. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/response_rates_CPS.htm. Accessed August 1, 2013.
- Frequency of eating occasions and weight change in the NHANES I Epidemiologic Follow-up Study.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1995; 19: 468-474
- Family income and education were related with 30-year time trends in dietary and meal behaviors of American children and adolescents.J Nutr. 2013; 143 (Erratum in J Nutr. 2013;143(8):1348): 690-700
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey analytic and reporting guidelines. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/analytic_guidelines.htm. Accessed August 1, 2013.
- Predictive margins with survey data.Biometrics. 1999; 55: 652-659
- Analysis of Health Surveys.John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, NJ1999
- The US Department of Agriculture Automated Multiple-Pass Method reduces bias in the collection of energy intakes.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 88: 324-332
Thompson FE, Subar AF. Dietary assessment methodology. http://appliedresearch.cancer.gov/diet/adi/thompson_subar_dietary_assessment_methodology.pdf. Accessed October 22, 2013.
- Dietary Reference Intakes. Applications in Dietary Assessment.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2000
- Who underreports dietary intake in a dietary recall? Evidence from the second National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1995; 63: 438-444
- Dietary methods research in the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: Under-reporting of energy intake.Am J Clin Nutr. 1997; 65: 203S-209S
- Nature of dietary reporting by adults in the third National Health and Nutrition Examination survey, 1988-1994.J Am Coll Nutr. 2002; 21: 315-327
- Validity of U.S. Nutritional surveillance: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey caloric energy intake data, 1971-2010.PLOS ONE. 2013; 8: e76632
- Assessing dietary intake: Who, what, and why of under-reporting.Nutr Res Rev. 1998; 11: 231-253
US Department of Agriculture, Human Nutrition Information Service. Consumer Nutrition Division. Nutrient intake: Individuals in 48 states, year 1977-78. Nationwide Food Consumption Survey, 1977-78. USDA Report No. 1-2. 1984.
- Choose a diet that is low in saturated fat and cholesterol and moderate in total fat: Subtle changes to a familiar message.J Nutr. 2001; 131: 510S-526S
What We Eat in America, NHANES 2005-2006, 2007-2008, 2009-2010. Data tables. www.ars.usda.gov/ba/bhnrc/fsrg. Accessed March 4, 2014.
- Evening eating and its relation to self-reported body weight and nutrient intake in women, CSFII 1985-86.J Am Coll Nutr. 1995; 14: 358-363
- Evening eating and subsequent long-term weight change in a national cohort.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1997; 21: 407-412
- Circadian timing of food intake contributes to weight gain.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009; 17: 2100-2102
- Timing of food intake predicts weight loss effectiveness.Int J Obes (Lond). 2013; 37 (Erratum in: Int J Obes (Lond). 2013;37(4):624): 604-611
- The internal circadian clock increases hunger and appetite in the evening independent of food intake and other behaviors.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013; 21: 421-423
- Snacks consumed in a nonhungry state have poor satiating efficiency: Influence of snack composition on substrate utilization and hunger.Am J Clin Nutr. 2002; 76: 518-528
- Factors that determine energy compensation: A systematic review of preload studies.Nutr Rev. 2013; 71: 458-473
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported in part by the Intramural Research Program of the Department of Health and Human Services, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, and a research award from the Professional Staff Congress of the City University of New York.