Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Household Food Security in the United States in 2012, ERR-155.Economic Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2013
- Food insecurity is associated with chronic disease among low-income NHANES participants.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 304-310
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Food insecurity in the United States.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1368-1377
- The food insecurity-obesity paradox: A review of the literature and the role food stamps may play.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1952-1961
- Food insecurity and weight status among US children and families: A review of the literature.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: 166-173
- Household food insecurity is associated with self-reported pregravid weight status, gestational weight gain, and pregnancy complications.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 692-701
- The association between food insecurity and inflammation in the US adult population.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 1579-1586
- Food insecurity, poor diet quality, and obesity among food pantry participants in Hartford, CT.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2013; 45: 159-164
- Poverty, food insecurity, and nutritional outcomes in children and adults.J Health Econ. 2004; 23: 839-862
- Dietary intakes and serum nutrients differ between adults from food-insufficient and food-sufficient families: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994.J Nutr. 2001; 131: 1232-1246
- Relationship of hunger and food insecurity to food availability and consumption.J Am Diet Assoc. 1996; 96: 1019-1024
- Nutritional and health consequences are associated with food insecurity among US elderly persons.J Nutr. 2001; 131: 1503-1509
- Nutrient intakes of individuals from food-insufficient households in the United States.Am J Public Health. 1997; 87: 1956-1961
- Household food insecurity with hunger is associated with women's food intakes, health and household circumstances.J Nutr. 2001; 131: 2670-2676
- Poverty and food intake in rural America: Diet quality is lower in food insecure adults in the Mississippi Delta.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1886-1894
- Food insecurity is associated with nutrient inadequacies among Canadian adults and adolescents.J Nutr. 2008; 138: 604-612
- Food insecurity is not associated with lower energy intakes.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008; 16: 1908-1913
- Energy density, nutrient adequacy, and cost per serving can provide insight into food choices in the lower Mississippi Delta.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012; 44: 148-153
- Food choices and diet costs: An economic analysis.J Nutr. 2005; 135: 900-904
- Are Healthy Foods Really More Expensive? It Depends on How You Measure the Price, EIB-96.Economic Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2012
- Cost of eating: Whole foods versus convenience foods in a low-income model.Fam Med. 2010; 42: 280-284
- The addiction potential of hyperpalatable foods.Curr Drug Abuse Rev. 2011; 4: 140-145
- The stress-eating paradox: Multiple daily measurements in adult males and females.Psychol Health. 1994; 9: 425-436
- Stress, eating and the reward system.Physiol Behav. 2007; 91: 449-458
- Chronic stress and obesity: A new view of “comfort food.”.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 11696-11701
- Comfort food is comforting to those most stressed: Evidence of the chronic stress response network in high stress women.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2011; 36: 1513-1519
- Chronic stress and comfort foods: Self-medication and abdominal obesity.Brain Behav Immun. 2005; 19: 275-280
- Psychosocial factors and socioeconomic indicators are associated with household food insecurity among pregnant women.J Nutr. 2006; 136: 177-182
National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys. 2014. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm. Accessed May 14, 2014.
- Guide to Measuring Household Food Security.Food and Nutrition Service, US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2000
US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service. Definitions of Food Security. 2014. http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us/definitions-of-food-security.aspx#.U3QLifkSRww. Accessed May 14, 2014.
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. Food Surveys: Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies. 2013. http://www.ars.usda.gov/services/docs.htm?docid=12089. Accessed May 14, 2014.
- Dietary intake and dietary quality of low-income adults in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 96: 977-988
- Heart disease and stroke statistics—2013 update: A report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2013; 127: e6-e245
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. US Department of Agriculture and US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2010
- Diet and lifestyle recommendations revision 2006: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association Nutrition Committee.Circulation. 2006; 114: 82-96
- Dietary Reference Intakes: The Essential Guide to Nutrient Requirements.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2006
- Development and Evaluation of the Healthy Eating Index-2005.Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2007
Food Surveys: Food Patterns Equivalents Database. 2014. http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=23869. Accessed May 14, 2014.
- Alternative dietary indices both strongly predict risk of chronic disease.J Nutr. 2012; 142: 1009-1018
Usual Dietary Intakes: The NCI Method. 2013. http://riskfactor.cancer.gov/diet/usualintakes/method.html. Accessed May 14, 2014.
- Red meat intake is associated with metabolic syndrome and the plasma C-reactive protein concentration in women.J Nutr. 2009; 139: 335-339
- Dietary pattern, inflammation, and incidence of type 2 diabetes in women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2005; 82: 675-684
- Changes in diet and lifestyle and long-term weight gain in women and men.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 2392-2404
- Intake of added sugar and sugar-sweetened drink and serum uric acid concentration in US men and women.Hypertension. 2007; 50: 306-312
- Sugar-sweetened beverages, obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and cardiovascular disease risk.Circulation. 2010; 121: 1356-1364
- Sugar-sweetened beverages and risk of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes: A meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 2477-2483
- Sweetened beverage consumption, incident coronary heart disease and biomarkers of risk in men.Circulation. 2012; 125: 1735-1741
- A trial of sugar-free or sugar-sweetened beverages and body weight in children.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1397-1406
- The public health and economic benefits of taxing sugar-sweetened beverages.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1599-1605
- Hunger and Obesity: Understanding a Food Insecurity Paradigm: Workshop Summary.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Participation Leads to Modest Changes in Diet Quality, ERR_147.US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2013
- Evaluating the initial impact of the revised Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) food packages on dietary intake and home food availability in African-American and Hispanic families.Public Health Nutr. 2014; 17: 83-93
- Revised WIC food package improves diets of WIC families.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012; 44: 204-209
- A new statistical method for estimating the usual intake of episodically consumed foods with application to their distribution.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1575-1587
- The population distribution of ratios of usual intakes of dietary components that are consumed every day can be estimated from repeated 24-hour recalls.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 111-116
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
Supplementary materials: Tables 5 and 6 are available at www.andjrnl.org
FUNDING/SUPPORT C. W. Leung was supported by grant no. 142691 from the University of California Multicampus Research Program and Initiative.