Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- The validation of a rating scale to assess dietitians' use of behaviour change skills.Hum Nutr Diet. 2008; 21: 381
- Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change.2nd ed. The Guilford Press, New York, NY2002
- Toward a theory of motivational interviewing.Am Psychol. 2009; 64: 527-537
- A randomized trial of tailoring and motivational interviewing to promote fruit and vegetable consumption for cancer prevention and control.Ann Behav Med. 2009; 38: 71-85
- New Moves—Preventing weight-related problems in adolescent girls: A group randomized study.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 39: 421-432
- Tailored print communication and motivational interviewing are equally successful in improving multiple lifestyle behaviors in a randomized controlled trial.Ann Behav Med. 2011; 41: 104-118
- Motivational interviewing improves weight loss in women with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 1081-1087
- Motivational interviewing to change quality of life for people with chronic heart failure: A randomized controlled trial.Int J Nurs Stud. 2006; 45: 489-500
- Do dietitians feel that they have had adequate training in behaviour change methods?.J Hum Diet. 2000; 13: 287-298
- Training dietitians in basic motivational interviewing skills result in changes in their counseling style and in lower saturated fats intakes in their patients.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: 8-12
- Teaching brief motivational interviewing to year three medical students.Med Educ. 2007; 41: 160-167
- Teaching students behavior change skills: description and assessment of a new motivational interviewing curriculum.Med Teach. 2007; 29: e67-e71
- Motivational interviewing: A pilot study of the effects on practitioner and patient behaviour.Behav Cogn Psychother. 2010; 38: 239-244
- Andragogy, not pedagogy!.Adult Leadership. 1968; 16 (386): 350-352
- Andragogy and self-directed learning: Pillars of adult learning.New Direct Adult Continuing Educ. 2001; 2001: 1-12
- Resident run journal club: A model based on the adult learning theory.Med Teach. 2009; 31: e156-e161
Kellogg M. Toolbox for Nutrition Counseling Education. 2009. http://www.mollykellogg.com/nutritiontoolbox.html. Accessed August 2, 2010.
- Adult learners in the classroom.New Direct Adult Continuing Educ. 2003; 2003: 43-50
Bandura A. Self-efficacy. In: Ramachaudran VS. Encyclopedia of Human Behavior. New York, NY: Academic Press; 1994:71-81.
- Generalized Self-Efficacy scale.in: Weinman J. Wright S. Johnston M. Measures in Health Psychology: A User's Portfolio, Causal and Control Beliefs. Nfer-Nelson, Windsor, UK1995: 35-37
Moyers TB, Martin T, Mauel JK, Miller WR, Ernst D. Revised Global Scales: Motivational Interviewing Treatment Integrity 3.1 (MITI 3.1). 2009. University of New Mexico, Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse and Addictions (CASSA). http://casaa.unm.edu/codinginst.html. Accessed August 2, 2010.
- Guidelines, criteria, and rules of thumb for evaluating normed and standardized assessment instruments in psychology.Psychol Assess. 1994; 6: 284-290
- Factors that influence self-efficacy of counseling students: An exploratory study.Couns Educ Superv. 2004; 44: 70-80
- Use of the standardized patient model to develop nutrition counseling skills.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: 50-51
This article was written by Hayley Smart, MS, RD, former graduate student, Dawn Clifford, PhD, RD, associate professor, and Michelle Neyman Morris, PhD, RD, professor, all with the Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, California State University, Chico.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This study was internally funded at California State University, Chico. This study fulfilled the requirements for H. Smart's MS degree in nutrition education at California State University, Chico.