Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- The phrase “art and science of medicine.”.Calif West Med. 1939; 50: 86-87
- Dietetics and nutrition: Impact of scientific advances and development.J Am Diet Assoc. 1997; 97: 737-741
- The humanities interface of nursing and medicine.J Prof Nurs. 2007; 23: 174-179
Brodhead RH. Advocating for the humanities. http://today.duke.edu/2012/03/humanitiestalk. Accessed May 13, 2013.
What are the humanities? http://humanexperience.stanford.edu/what. Accessed March 10, 2013.
What is a 21st century liberal education? http://www.aacu.org/leap/what_is_liberal_education.cfm. Accessed February 3, 2014.
- Toward “harder” medical humanities: Moving beyond the “two cultures” dichotomy.Acad Med. 2012; 87: 121-126
- Medical humanities and their discontents: Definitions, critiques, and implications.Acad Med. 2009; 84: 192-198
Markoff J. Killing the computer to save it. October 31, 2012. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/30/science/rethinking-the-computer-at-80.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0. Accessed May 13, 2013.
- Toward a person-centered medicine: Religious studies in the medical curriculum.Acad Med. 1995; 70 (Cited in: Dellasega C, Milone-Nuzzo P, Curci KM, et al. The humanities interface of nursing and medicine. J Prof Nurs. 2007;23(3):174-179): 806-813
- Complications: A Surgeon's Note for an Imperfect Science.Picador, New York, NY2002: 4 (7)
- Medicine and the humanities: Joining two cultures.Am J Med. 2012; 125: 1144-1145
- Literature and medicine: Origins and destinies.Acad Med. 2000; 75: 23-27
- The singing surgeon.Bull Am Coll Surg. 2007; 92: 28-33
- More lit can fit: Using nontraditional literature in dietetics education to enhance cultural competence, cultural literacy, and critical thinking.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 757-761
Lelchuk Staricoff, R. Arts in health: A review of the medical literature. http://www.artsandhealth.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/AHReview-of-Medical-Literature1.pdf. Accessed August 23, 2013.
Institute of Medicine. Crossing the quality chasm: A new health system for the 21st century. http://www.iom.edu/∼/media/Files/Report%20Files/2001/Crossing-the-Quality-Chasm/Quality%20Chasm%202001%20%20report%20brief.pdf. Accessed August 23, 2013.
- Can poetry make better doctors? Teaching the humanities and arts to medical students and residents at the University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine.Acad Med. 2003; 78: 953-957
- Conversations with James Baldwin.University Press of Mississippi, Jackson, MS1989: 21
- Medical humanities courses becoming prerequisites in many medical schools.Can Med Assoc J. 2011; 183: E441-E442
- Nursing humanities: The time has come.Am J Nurs. 2003; 103: 13
Augustine N. The education our economy needs. September 21, 2011. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904265504576568351324914730.html. Accessed August 23, 2013.
- Humanism and the Physician.University of Tennessee Press, Knoxville, TN1979 (Cited in: Dellasega C, Milone-Nuzzo P, Curci KM, et al. The humanities interface of nursing and medicine. J Prof Nurs. 2007;23(3):174-179)
- The reciprocity of recognition—What medicine exposes about self and others.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1878-1881
- Lies in the doctor-patient relationship.Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2009; 11: 163-168
Armitage D, Bhabha H, Dench E, et al. The teaching of the arts and humanities at Harvard College: Mapping the future. http://harvardmagazine.com/sites/default/files/Mapping%20the%20Future%20of%20the%20Humanities.pdf. Accessed October 10, 2013.
- 2011 Future Connections Summit on Dietetics Practice, Credentialing, and Education: Summary of presentations on shaping the future of the dietetics profession.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1591-1599
- Strong inference: Certain systematic methods of scientific thinking may produce much more rapid progress than others.Science. 1964; 146: 347-353
This article was written by Karen Stein, MFA, a freelance writer based in Traverse City, MI, a consultant editor for the Nutrition Care Manual, and a former editor of the Journal.