Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
US Department of Agriculture. Food Groups Overview. ChooseMyPlate.gov. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/. 2011. Accessed December 3, 2013.
US Department of Agriculture. What counts as a cup of vegetables? ChooseMyPlate.gov. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/vegetables_counts_table.html. 2011. Accessed December 3, 2013.
US Department of Agriculture. What counts as an ounce equivalent of grains? ChooseMyPlate.gov. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/grains_counts_table.html. 2011. Accessed December 3, 2013.
- Dietary strategies for weight management.in: Drewnowski A. Rolls B.J. Nestlé Nutrition Institute Workshop Series, Vol. 73: Obesity Treatment and Prevention: New Directions. S. Karger, Basel, Switzerland2012: 37-48
- Portion size and the obesity epidemic.in: Cawley J. The Oxford Handbook of the Social Science of Obesity—The Causes and Correlates of Diet, Physical Activity, and Obesity. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK2011: 367-384
- Dietary strategies for the prevention and treatment of obesity.Proc Nutr Soc. 2010; 69: 70-79
- Properties of foods and beverages that influence energy intake and body weight.in: Coulston A.M. Boushey C.J. Nutrition in the Prevention and Treatment of Disease. 2nd ed. Elsevier Academic Press, London, UK2008: 469-481
- The effect of large portion sizes on energy intake is sustained for 11 days.Obesity. 2007; 15: 1535-1543
- Volume of food consumed affects satiety in men.Am J Clin Nutr. 1998; 67: 1170-1177
- Incorporation of air into a snack food reduces energy intake.Appetite. 2007; 48: 351-358
- Increasing the volume of a food by incorporating air affects satiety in men.Am J Clin Nutr. 2000; 72: 361-368
- The three-factor eating questionnaire to measure dietary restraint, disinhibition, and hunger.J Psychosom Res. 1985; 29: 71-83
- Reproducibility, power and validity of visual analogue scales in assessment of appetite sensations in single test meal studies.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000; 24: 38-48
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 25. http://www.ars.usda.gov/ba/bhnrc/ndl/. Accessed June 7, 2013.
- Visual perception of portion size.Ecol Food Nutr. 2008; 47: 126-134
- Visual perception of portion size.J Culinary Sci Technol. 2009; 7: 250-256
- The Mechanisms of Perception.Routledge & Kegan Paul, London, England1969
- Vital dimensions in volume perception: Can the eye fool the stomach?.J Market Res. 1999; 36: 313-326
- Environmental factors that increase the food intake and consumption volume of unknowing consumers.Annu Rev Nutr. 2004; 24: 455-479
- Container size influences snack food intake independently of portion size.Appetite. 2012; 58: 814-817
- Ice cream illusions bowls, spoons, and self-served portion sizes.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 31: 240-243
- Perceived volume, expected satiation, and the energy content of self-selected meals.Appetite. 2010; 55: 25-29
- What determines real-world meal size? Evidence for pre-meal planning.Appetite. 2011; 56: 284-289
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This research was supported by grants DK059853 and DK039177 from the National Institutes of Health.