Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Motivational Interviewing in Health Care: Helping Patients Change Behaviour.Guilford Press, New York, NY2008
- Systematic review of maintenance of behavior change following physical activity and dietary interventions.Health Psychol. 2011; 30: 99-109
- Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change.2nd ed. The Guilford Press, New York, NY2002
- Methods of helping patients with behaviour change.Br Med J. 1993; 307: 188-190
- Manual of Dietetic Practice.2nd ed. The University Press, Cambridge, UK1994
- Consultations about changing behaviour.Br Med J. 2005; 331: 961
- ‘If you listen to me properly, I feel good’: A qualitative examination of patient experiences of dietetic consultations.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2012; 25: 275-284
- State of the evidence regarding behavior change theories and strategies in nutrition counseling to facilitate health and food behavior change.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 879-891
- Canadian dietitians’ understanding of the client-centered approach to nutrition counseling.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1414-1417
- Exploring dietitians’ verbal and nonverbal communication skills for effective dietitian–patient communication.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2008; 21: 502-511
- Training dietitians in basic motivational interviewing skills results in changes in their counseling style and in lower saturated fat intakes in their patients.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: 8-12
- DAA Best Practice Guidelines for the Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults.Dietitians Association of Australia, Canberra, Australia2012
- Motivational interviewing to improve weight loss in overweight and/or obese patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Obes Rev. 2011; 12: 709-723
- Motivational interviewing: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Br J Gen Pract. 2005; 55: 305-312
- Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change.3rd ed. Guilford Press, New York, NY2012
- Using motivational interviewing as a supplement to obesity treatment: A stepped-care approach.Health Psychol. 2007; 26: 369-374
- A telephone-only motivational intervention to increase physical activity in rural adults: A randomized controlled trial.Nurs Res. 2008; 57: 24-32
- Effect evaluation of a Motivational Interviewing based counselling strategy in diabetes care.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2010; 90: 270-278
- Motivational interviewing for pediatric obesity: conceptual issues and evidence review.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 2024-2033
- Results of an adjunct dietary intervention program in the Women's Health Initiative.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 1631-1637
- Effectiveness of interventions using Motivational Interviewing for dietary and physical activity modification in adults: A Systematic Review.Joanna Briggs Inst Database Syst Rev Implement Rep. 2013; 11: 1-27
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Scope of practice for the registered dietitian.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: S17-S28
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Revised 2012 standards of practice in nutrition care and standards of professional performance for registered dietitians.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: S29-S45
Dietitians of Canada and College of Dietitians of Ontario. Professional standards for dietitians in Canada. 2000. http://www.cdo.on.ca/en/pdf/publications/ProfessionalStandardsforDietitians.pdf. Accessed August 16, 2013.
European Federation of the Association of Dietitians. European Dietetic Competences and their Performance Indicators. 2009. http://www.efad.eu/everyone/1468/5/0/32. Accessed August 15, 2013.
Dietitians Association of Australia. Scope of dietetic practice framework. 2006. http://dmsweb.daa.asn.au/files/DINER/DINER_Scope_of_Practice.pdf. Accessed August 16, 2013.
Dietitians Association of Australia. National Competency Standards for entry level dietitians in Australia. 2008. http://daa.asn.au/universities-recognition/national-competency-standards/. Accessed August 16, 2013.
- Clinical Guidelines for the Identification, Evaluation and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults.National Institutes of Health, Washington, DC1998
- Position of The American Dietetic Association: Weight management.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 330-346
- 2006 Canadian clinical practice guidelines on the management and prevention of obesity in adults and children.Can Med Assoc J. 2007; 176: 1-117
- Management of obesity in adults: European clinical practice guidelines.Obesity Facts. 2008; 1: 106-116
- Obesity: Guidance on the Prevention, Identification, Assessment and Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults and Children. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, London, UK2006
- Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults, Adolescents and Children in Australia. National Health and Medical Research Council, Canberra, Australia2013
- Best Practice Guidelines for the Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults.Dietitians Association of Australia, Canberra, Australia2005
- Ten things that motivational interviewing is not.Behav Cogn Psychother. 2009; 37: 129-140
- International Dietetics & Nutrition Terminology (IDNT) Reference Manual. 4th ed. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Chicago, IL2013
- A randomized trial of methods to help clinicians learn motivational interviewing.J Consult Clin Psychol. 2004; 72: 1050-1062
- Community program therapist adherence and competence in motivational enhancement therapy.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2008; 96: 37-48
- A small study of training in motivational interviewing: Does one workshop change clinician and client behavior?.Behav Cogn Psychother. 2001; 29: 457-471
- Revised Global Scales: Motivation Interviewing Treatment Integrity 3.0 (MITI 3.0).University of New Mexico Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse and Addictions, Albuquerque, NM2007
- Assessing competence in the use of motivational interviewing.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2005; 28: 19-26
- Manual for the Motivational Interviewing Skill Code (MISC).(Version 2.0) University of New Mexico Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse and Addictions, Albuquerque, NM2003
- Motivational interviewing.Br Med J. 2010; : 340(c1900)
- Motivational Interviewing: Moving from why to how with autonomy support.Intl J Behav Nutr Phys Activity. 2012; 9: 1-9
Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers. Motivational interviewing. 2013. http://www.motivationalinterviewing.org/home. Accessed September 5, 2013.
This article was written by Jenna L. Hollis, APD
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT J. L. Hollis is supported by an Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship and a Barker Top-up Scholarship from the Barker Family, The University of Newcastle, and University Foundation Services. C. E. Collins is supported by a National Health and Medical Research Council Career Development Fellowship. No funding parties were involved in the preparation of the manuscript.