Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Food and Drug Administration. New menu and vending machines labeling requirements. http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/ucm217762.htm. Accessed August 14, 2012.
Food and Drug Administration. New front-of-package labeling initiative. http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/ucm202726.htm. Accessed August 14, 2012.
- Effects of front-of-package and shelf nutrition labeling systems on consumers.Nutr Rev. 2013; 71: 1-14
- 2008 Department of Defense Survey of Health Related Behaviors Among Active Duty Military Personnel.RTI International, Research Triangle Park, NC2009
- A rapid food screener to assess fat and fruit and vegetable intake.Am J Prev Med. 2000; 18: 284-288
- Fruit and vegetable assessment: Performance of 2 new short instruments and a food frequency questionnaire.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 1764-1772
- Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: Executive summary.Am J Clin Nutr. 1998; 68: 899-917
- Use of food nutrition labels is associated with lower fat intake.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99 (53): 45-50
- Food nutrition label use is associated with demographic, behavioral, and psychosocial factors and dietary intake among African Americans in North Carolina.J Am Diet Assoc. 2005; 105: 392-402
- Food label use and its relation to dietary intake among US adults.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 1233-1237
- Nutrition label use partially mediates the relationship between attitude toward healthy eating and overall dietary quality among college students.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 112: 414-418
US Department of Agriculture, Agricutural Research Service. Nutrient intakes from food: Mean amounts consumed per individual, by gender and age, What We Eat in America, NHANES 2009-2010. http://www.ars.usda.govba/bhnrc/fsrg. Accessed October 12, 2012.
- Prevalence of obesity in the United States, 2009-2010.NCHS Data Brief. 2012; 82: 1-8
- Health Eating Index-2005 total and component scores for adults aged 20 and over: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2003-2004.Natl Health Stat Rep. 2011; : 1-9
- Longitudinal trends in diet and effects of sex, race, and education on dietary quality score change: The Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 95: 580-586
- Gender and race are significant determinants of students' food choices on a college campus.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012; 44: 372-378
- Using nutrition labeling as a potential tool for changing eating habits of university dining hall patrons.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 2071-2076
Office of Army Demographics, Army G-1, Department of the Army. 2011 Army demographics. FY11 Army profile. http://www.armyg1.army.mil/hr/docs/demographics/FY11_ARMY_PROFILE.pdf. Accessed October 30, 2012.
STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
FUNDING/SUPPORT This work was supported by a grant from the Retired Army Medical Specialist Corps Association Endowment for Scholarly Activity. The views expressed in this document are those of the authors and do not reflect the official policy of William Beaumont Army Medical Center, the Department of the Army, or the US Government.