Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Psychiatric diagnoses: Lessons from the DSM-IV past and cautions for the DSM-5 future.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2012; 8: 109-130
Insel T. Director's blog. Transforming diagnosis. National Institutes of Mental Health website. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/about/director/2013/transforming-diagnosis.shtml. Published April 29, 2013. Accessed August 13, 2013.
Tsai L, Ghaziuddin M. DSM-5 ASD moves forward into the past [published online ahead of print June 27, 2013]. J Autism Dev Disord. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10803-013-1870-3.
- Classification of eating disorders: Toward DSM-V.Int J Eat Disord. 2007; 40: S123-S129
American Psychiatric Association. Feeding and eating disorders. DSM-5 Development website. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Eating%20Disorders%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf. Accessed August 7, 2013.
Columbia University Medical Center. The DSM-5 Eating Disorders Workgroup [video]. YouTube website. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4FjiNWmIDM. Accessed August 7, 2013.
Walsh BT. DSM-V Video Series: Changes to anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa [audio]. American Psychiatric Association website. http://www.psychiatry.org/practice/dsm/dsm5/dsm-5-video-series-changes-to-anorexia-nervosa-and-bulimia-nervosa. Accessed August 7, 2013.
Walsh BT. DSM-V Video Series: Binge eating [audio]. American Psychiatric Association website. http://www.psychiatry.org/practice/dsm/dsm5/dsm-5-video-series-binge-eating. Accessed August 7, 2013.
Frances A. DSM-5 is guide, not bible—Ignore its 10 worst changes. Psychology Today website. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dsm5-in-distress/201212/dsm-5-is-guide-not-bible-ignore-its-ten-worst-changes. Published December 12, 2012. Accessed December 3, 2013.
Carey B. A tense compromise on defining disorders. New York Times website. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/11/health/a-compromise-on-defining-and-diagnosing-mental-disorders.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0. Published December 10, 2012. Accessed August 11, 2013.
- The new field trials of DSM-5: New blooms and old thorns [editorial].Am J Psychiatry. 2013; 170: 1-5
National Alliance on Mental Illness. What is eating disorder not otherwise specified? http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=65849. Accessed May 13, 2013.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Practice paper of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Nutrition intervention in the treatment of eating disorders. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website. http://www.eatright.org/About/Content.aspx?id=8386. Accessed December 3, 2013.
- By how much will the proposed new DSM-5 criteria increase the prevalence of binge eating disorder?.Int J Eat Disord. 2012; 45: 139-141
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Revised 2012 Standards of Practice in Nutrition Care and Standards of Professional Performance for Registered Dietitians.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: S29-S45
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Scope of Practice for the Registered Dietitian.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: S17-S28
- Position paper of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Nutrition intervention in the treatment of eating disorders.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1236-1241
American Psychiatric Association. Autism Spectrum Disorder DSM-5 Fact Sheet. 2013. DSM-5 Development website. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Autism%20Spectrum%20Disorder%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf. Accessed July 25, 2013.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Autism Spectrum Disorders, Data and Statistics. 2013. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html. Updated June 27, 2013. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Autism spectrum disorder—Research suggests good nutrition may manage symptoms.Today's Dietitian. 2013; 15 (Accessed July 20, 2013): 46
- Sensitivity and specificity of proposed DSM-5 diagnostic criteria for autism spectrum disorder.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2012; 51: 368-383
- Autism spectrum disorders in the DSM-V: Better or worse than DSM-IV?.Res Dev Disabil. 2011; 32: 768-773
Falco M. Psychiatric association approves changes to diagnostic manual. CNN website. http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/02/health/new-mental-health-diagnoses. Published December 3, 2012. Accessed July 31, 2013.
Willingham E. Just in: Asperger's prevalence predicted to fall to zero. Forbes website. http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2012/12/04/just-in-aspergers-prevalence-predicted-to-fall-to-zero/. Published December 4, 2012. Accessed July 31, 2013.
Grush L. The DSM-5 is here: What the controversial changes mean for health care. Fox News website. http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/05/21/dsm-5-is-here-what-controversial-new-changes-mean-for-mental-health-care/. Published May 21, 2013. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Registered dietitians' insights in treating autistic children.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 727-730
- Gastrointestinal conditions in children with autism spectrum disorder: Developing a research agenda.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: S160-S168
- Eating behaviors, diet quality, and gastrointestinal symptoms in children with autism spectrum disorders: A brief review.J Pediatr Nurs. 2013; 28: 548-556
Keller M. Nutrition challenges and strategies for kids with autism [e-news exclusive]. Today's Dietitian. http://www.todaysdietitian.com/news/enews_0411_01.shtml. Accessed July 12, 2013.
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Providing nutrition services for people with developmental disabilities and special health care needs.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 296-307
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Standards of Practice and Standards of Professional Performance for Registered Dietitians (Competent, Proficient, and Expert) in Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1454-1464
Burton N. A brief history of schizophrenia. Psychology Today website. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hide-and-seek/201209/brief-history-schizophrenia. Published September 8, 2012. Accessed August 8, 2013.
Tandon R. From DSM-5: Four important changes in the diagnosis of schizophrenia. Psychiatry Weekly website. http://www.psychweekly.com/aspx/article/articledetail.aspx?articleid=1567. Published May 6, 2013. Accessed August 8, 2013.
Hasin D. Classification of alcohol use disorders. National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism website. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh27-1/5-17.htm. Accessed October 20, 2013.
- Substance-related disorders.FOCUS. 2003; 1: 125-146
American Psychiatric Association. Substance related and addictive disorders. DSM-5 Development website. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Substance%20Use%20Disorder%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf. Accessed October 21, 2013.
Willenbring B. This month's expert: Alcoholism in DSM-IV and DSM-5. Psych Central website. http://pro.psychcentral.com/2013/this-months-expert-alcoholism-in-dsm-iv-and-dsm-5-by-mark-willenbring-md/004922.html#. Accessed October 22, 2013.
- The absence of DSM-IV nicotine dependence in moderate to heavy daily smokers.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2007; 89 (Accessed October 22, 2013): 93-96
Compton WM. DSM-5 video series: Effect of changes to substance use disorder. American Psychiatric Association website. http://www.psychiatry.org/practice/dsm/dsm5/dsm-5-video-series-effect-of-changes-to-substance-use-disorder. Accessed October 23, 2013.
Grohol JM. DSM-5 change: Addiction, substance-related disorders and alcoholism. Psych Central website. http://pro.psychcentral.com/2013/dsm-5-changes-addiction-substance-related-disorders-alcoholism/004370.html. Accessed October 23, 2013.
Miller L. “The Book of Woe”: Psychiatry's last stand. Salon website. http://www.salon.com/2013/05/05/the_book_of_woe_psychiatrys_last_stand. Published May 5, 2013. Accessed May 13, 2013.
- A debate on current eating disorder diagnoses in light of neurobiological findings: Is it time for a spectrum model?.BMC Psychiatry. 2012; 12 (Biomedcentral website.) (Accessed August 1, 2013.)
Horgan J. Beginning of the end for DSM? Salon website. http://www.salon.com/2013/05/06/beginning_of_the_end_of_the_dsm_iv_partner/. Accessed Published May 6, 2013. May 13, 2013.
Lane C. The NIMH withdraws support for DSM-5. Psychology Today website. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/side-effects/201305/the-nimh-withdraws-support-dsm-5. Published May 4, 2013. Accessed August 5, 2013.
- Identification of risk loci with shared effects on five major psychiatric disorders: A genome-wide analysis.The Lancet. 2013; 381: 1371-1379
- Washington rises: Public financial support for intellectual disability in the United States, 1955-2004.Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev. 2007; 13: 169-177
- Behavioral Health Nutrition Newsletter. 2013; 31: 8
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. BRAIN Initiative: Requesting public input. Eat Right Weekly. http://www.eatright.org/members/eatrightweekly/article.aspx?folderid=6442452516&mycontentid=6442476940. Published June 19, 2013. Accessed September 9, 2013.
American Psychiatric Association. Insurance implications of DSM-5. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Substance%20Use%20Disorder%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf. Accessed August 13, 2013.
This article was written by Karen Stein, MFA, freelance writer, Traverse City, MI, consultant editor for the Nutrition Care Manual, and a former Editor of the Journal.
FUNDING/SUPPORT No funding was provided for this article.